Shopping Discussion

It seems that bag your own stuff grocery stores are taking over...

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2016 2:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Jan 22, 2013
252 posts
12 upvotes
Windsor

It seems that bag your own stuff grocery stores are taking over...

our local metro ive heard is turning into a food basics.... although theres a freshco across the street.

Im one whos happy to pay a little more for the cashiers to actually do the rest of their job and bag the things for you.

i have an invisible yet very debilitating chronic illness, and putting things from shelf to cart, from cart to table, from table to cart in bags, and then from bags to away at home is more than enough steps for me to handle. to have to bag it all too just adds another exhausting step to the whole already overwhelming ordeal.

does zehrs/superstore still bag for you? thats the only other one slightly nearby that isnt another freshco.

not to mention the deli probably disappearing too. why not close altogether if theyre going to become just like the one across the street?? :/

sorry just had to have a little rant. (please dont judge. most fully able bodied people i know dont mind paying less and bagging their own things. but not everyone has the luxury of being fully able bodied)
54 replies
Member
Oct 2, 2014
212 posts
35 upvotes
New Westminster
pawprints1986 wrote: our local metro ive heard is turning into a food basics.... although theres a freshco across the street.

Im one whos happy to pay a little more for the cashiers to actually do the rest of their job and bag the things for you.

i have an invisible yet very debilitating chronic illness, and putting things from shelf to cart, from cart to table, from table to cart in bags, and then from bags to away at home is more than enough steps for me to handle. to have to bag it all too just adds another exhausting step to the whole already overwhelming ordeal.

does zehrs/superstore still bag for you? thats the only other one slightly nearby that isnt another freshco.

not to mention the deli probably disappearing too. why not close altogether if theyre going to become just like the one across the street?? :/

sorry just had to have a little rant. (please dont judge. most fully able bodied people i know dont mind paying less and bagging their own things. but not everyone has the luxury of being fully able bodied)
No, Superstore does not bag for the customers. At least, Superstore has a large checkout counter where the customer can sort/bag the groceries.

Walmart has very little room for the customers to sort and bag the groceries/produce, for both the cashier checkout and self serve checkout.

If you want cashier to bag for you, you need to shop at Safeway, IGA, Save-On-Foods, etc.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16751 posts
3912 upvotes
Toronto
It's not so much that bag your own is taking over as it is that Metro is cutting back any way they can.
Basics costs less to run than Metro.
The other option was to close down all together.
This is from a few years ago: "converted to the Food Basics discount format to contain costs amid intense competition."
:arrow: https://www.thestar.com/business/2013/0 ... asics.html
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
5067 posts
2252 upvotes
Just proof that your local economy is not doing that well.

Considering your location is Windsor which is very close to Detroit are you surprised to learn that the local economy is not doing well?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
The not bagging things seems stupid. I don't get it, what are they saving? 30 seconds here or there in the line ups?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
3078 posts
746 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
pawprints1986 wrote: our local metro ive heard is turning into a food basics.... although theres a freshco across the street.

Im one whos happy to pay a little more for the cashiers to actually do the rest of their job and bag the things for you.

i have an invisible yet very debilitating chronic illness, and putting things from shelf to cart, from cart to table, from table to cart in bags, and then from bags to away at home is more than enough steps for me to handle. to have to bag it all too just adds another exhausting step to the whole already overwhelming ordeal.

does zehrs/superstore still bag for you? thats the only other one slightly nearby that isnt another freshco.

not to mention the deli probably disappearing too. why not close altogether if theyre going to become just like the one across the street?? :/

sorry just had to have a little rant. (please dont judge. most fully able bodied people i know dont mind paying less and bagging their own things. but not everyone has the luxury of being fully able bodied)
If you go to chinese supermarkets, most places I've gone to bag them for you and they do not charge you for bags either.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 14, 2009
2138 posts
855 upvotes
London
TagYoureIt wrote: The not bagging things seems stupid. I don't get it, what are they saving? 30 seconds here or there in the line ups?
They're probably understaffed and that bit of time helps. I find it silly that sometimes, there's huge line-ups and about 2 or 3 cashiers handling everything.
Banned
Jun 21, 2016
13 posts
4 upvotes
fboybcb wrote: If you go to chinese supermarkets, most places I've gone to bag them for you and they do not charge you for bags either.
These places stink to high heaven. You literally have to hold your breath when you shop there.

If you buy fruits or veggies from them, they rot and go bad within a couple of days. You might save a few bucks here and there, but your health is more important. I have seen butchers in these stores cutting meat and chicken on the bare floor !
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
3078 posts
746 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
lebroncrosby wrote: These places stink to high heaven. You literally have to hold your breath when you shop there.

If you buy fruits or veggies from them, they rot and go bad within a couple of days. You might save a few bucks here and there, but your health is more important. I have seen butchers in these stores cutting meat and chicken on the bare floor !

Depends where you go. There are some really run down supermarkets that you need to avoid but there are some that are nice.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Sr. Member
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
174 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
Where I live, superstore started this whole sorry trend. I find that when I shop there, I feel really stressed compared to going to somewhere like Save-On, and that's without any physical limitations.

I think the answer, if you have a car, will be click and collect. I would pay $3 any day to avoid the whole shopping experience.
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
Just ask the cashier to help you? As a cashier I am more then willing to do extra when someone says they need a hand.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13906 posts
9001 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Supermarkets needs to bring back the bag men, like back in the gay ol time.

Image

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
634 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
datako wrote: They're probably understaffed and that bit of time helps. I find it silly that sometimes, there's huge line-ups and about 2 or 3 cashiers handling everything.
Then you have the morons that take their time. That 30 seconds turns into minutes.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
datako wrote: They're probably understaffed and that bit of time helps. I find it silly that sometimes, there's huge line-ups and about 2 or 3 cashiers handling everything.
I've been to asian supermarkets with less staff, they just work with a speed an efficiency that allows for them to bag everything too. They will utilize the time it takes the customer to take out their money to bag your groceries.

Whole foods still bag groceries also, but the price differences between the two are just too much.
Member
Oct 23, 2011
369 posts
501 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
Some people prefer to bag their own to avoid the possibility of getting stuck with a mindless bagger who puts the milk in on top of the bread.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Costco. Although the larger sizes of everything would probably kill OP taking it off the shelf.
Although to be fair, they don't really "bag" as they do "box".
I'm sure they'd be happy to bag if you bring your own bags though.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5822 posts
1147 upvotes
Toronto
Im never a fan of that either, when there is a community with one premium store and one discount. Premium store closes down and also becomes a discount, then there is one community being serviced by 2 discount stores. Sure, its an even level of competition but I see it as little benefit for the community.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Member
Aug 4, 2012
291 posts
186 upvotes
Cambridge
Maybe we'll see the return of charity workers that bag your groceries for a donation. I wouldn't mind that, I bag my own groceries anyways but it'd be a nice option for those who can't.
Member
Jun 10, 2008
468 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
I'm sure if you asked for help they would gladly bag for you.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16751 posts
3912 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote: Im never a fan of that either, when there is a community with one premium store and one discount. Premium store closes down and also becomes a discount, then there is one community being serviced by 2 discount stores. Sure, its an even level of competition but I see it as little benefit for the community.
Sometimes it swings the other way though.
Look at Yonge & Sheppard!
Metro there closed down.
Whole foods opened up in it's place.
A Longo's will be opening up shortly (just down the street where the theatres used to be) to compete heavily with it.
It will be interesting to see what happens there, since both stores are known for being on the higher end of grocery store choices.
There's also a Loblaws not too far away from there and not one No frills, basics or Freshco...

Top