Seems like Rogers cut me off after huge upload

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2021 9:26 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes

Seems like Rogers cut me off after huge upload

I am backing up photos to Amazon. The internet always goes down after uploading for a few minutes. I have to reboot modem to get internet back. However this won’t happen if I limit upload to 100kbps.
17 replies
Oct 13, 2010
616 posts
100 upvotes
It's Rogers therefore it's shit.

Their coax is shit.

Their modems are shit.

Their routing is shit.

Their network is shit.

Get on bell fiber to the home.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15061 posts
2645 upvotes
Gee wrote: I doubt Rogers cut you off. You probably have another problem
I absolutely agree. I am not going to get into any of my personal stats, but I can unequivocally refute his assertion. And, no I do not work for Rogers or have anyone working for Rogers.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16130 posts
4952 upvotes
London
britelzg wrote: I am backing up photos to Amazon. The internet always goes down after uploading for a few minutes. I have to reboot modem to get internet back. However this won’t happen if I limit upload to 100kbps.
This happened to my buddy. His internet connection would do weird things - full speed on Speedtest, but very slow connection on other sites.

Rogers thought he had malware on his network. Rogers claimed that they emailed him 3x about the malware but we couldn’t find any emails ( likely they sent to his Rogers email ?). Because he didn’t respond, they limited his internet connection. He had to talk to Rogers security to get connected back up properly
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15061 posts
2645 upvotes
l69norm wrote: This happened to my buddy. His internet connection would do weird things - full speed on Speedtest, but very slow connection on other sites.

Rogers thought he had malware on his network. Rogers claimed that they emailed him 3x about the malware but we couldn’t find any emails ( likely they sent to his Rogers email ?). Because he didn’t respond, they limited his internet connection. He had to talk to Rogers security to get connected back up properly
Again, I don't want to get into any specific info but if you are an uploader on a private tracker, you only use a seedbox.

Q: Why would your buddy create a Rogers email account and then assume Rogers would contact him on another email provider?
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
So maybe it’s the modem? It can’t handle the high usage? I have completed the upload without issue at a controlled speed.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19070 posts
5087 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know which modem you are using, but I know a lot of modems and routers flake out with continuous moderate to heavier usage.

If the ISP really wanted to limit you, it wouldn't be doing it by causing your modem to fail. It would just throttle (or terminate) the transfer.

One of the reasons I don't like using ISP modems as routers is because many of them are not very stable, esp. if it's a new model with early firmwares. Heat related issues can also cause problems. Similarly, one of my AirPort Extremes that I was using as a dumb access point and simple Ethernet switch was causing me problems recently. I had my desktop hardwired to it, and it worked fine for years, but recently with large high speed Ethernet transfers, the transfers would stall. This would never happen with lighter usage. I suspect that this hardware may just be feeling its age, because my solution was just to keep it as a dumb access point, and stop using it as a Gigabit Ethernet switch. I now have a $20 Gigabit switch doing that job and it's fine with no other changes to the network. That particular old AirPort Extreme seems happy being a WiFi access point, but after a half-dozen years or so it no longer seems happy being a WiFi access point and high bandwidth desktop switch at the same time.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
I also use an ASUS router. Rebooting router does not resolve the issue whole reboot of modem always does.
Dec 14, 2004
840 posts
119 upvotes
Waterloo
What Rogers modem do you have? FWIW I run on Rogers gigabit with an Asus ac86u and just backed up 140GB of photos to Amazon in one shot this past week. This was saturating my 30Mbps upload.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
808 upvotes
Waterloo
britelzg wrote: I also use an ASUS router. Rebooting router does not resolve the issue whole reboot of modem always does.
you havent mentioned what specific Rogers package you have? I doubt there is any rogers modem that cannot handle more than 100KB speed of upload. Its prolly a software / configuration issue.
Also what Router do you have?
What is the wireless card on your computer ? Whats the CPU on the computer?

WIthout know these details I imagine you're having an issue where the number of connections simultaneously is causing the issue. just hookup wired to the modem and see if the issue resolved itself.
----
Pay it forward.
Oct 12, 2005
272 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
It's probably not Rogers. I have TekSavvy Cable (150d/15u), which uses Rogers infrastructure. On January 1st, after watching Netflix after 8 PM on my Nvidia Shield, I turned it off shortly before 9 PM. However, a few hours later, I discovered the Shield continued to both upload & download. I have the first generation Google Wifi at home and in the app, it reported the Shield used about 16GB download and 13GB upload. As soon as I saw it, which was after midnight, I went and unplugged it. I still can't figure out what was actually downloading and uploading. It hasn't happened again since.

Even though I racked up 13GB of upload within three hours, my connection did not get cut off by TekSavvy and reboot of the cable modem wasn't necessary.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1220 posts
1233 upvotes
Markham, ON
I was in your boat op.

My wife loves to take pictures and videos. We have 4 young kids.
After taking pictures and videos we would upload to Amazon or Google cloud. We are talking 60-70GB every few days.

Rogers cut my upload speeds from 30 to 5 Mbps.

I had to to contact support who reset it. But they said if I don't curb my uploads (not file sharing, just backing up pictures and videos of my children) I had to switch to business internet.

If Bell FTTH was avaibale, I would switch in a heartbeat. Even if I had to pay full price.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2600 posts
1910 upvotes
North York
at87on wrote: I was in your boat op.

My wife loves to take pictures and videos. We have 4 young kids.
After taking pictures and videos we would upload to Amazon or Google cloud. We are talking 60-70GB every few days.

Rogers cut my upload speeds from 30 to 5 Mbps.

I had to to contact support who reset it. But they said if I don't curb my uploads (not file sharing, just backing up pictures and videos of my children) I had to switch to business internet.

If Bell FTTH was avaibale, I would switch in a heartbeat. Even if I had to pay full price.
You take 60-70GB of photos/videos every few days?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1220 posts
1233 upvotes
Markham, ON
KiraSensei wrote: You take 60-70GB of photos/videos every few days?
Not now. But when you gave newborns and 4K camera and DSLR, yes.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1594 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
at87on wrote: Not now. But when you gave newborns and 4K camera and DSLR, yes.
I got Bell Gigabit. I was doing some 4k playthrough of Yakuza Like A Dragon (a game on pc, in case you're not a gaming nut like me). I probably uploaded like 600 gigs over the span of 2 weeks. Had no problems at all (if anything, it was youtube being slow).

If you have huge uploads, Bell would be the way to go. Rogers upload is horrendous even at full upload speed.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1220 posts
1233 upvotes
Markham, ON
LKane1 wrote: I got Bell Gigabit. I was doing some 4k playthrough of Yakuza Like A Dragon (a game on pc, in case you're not a gaming nut like me). I probably uploaded like 600 gigs over the span of 2 weeks. Had no problems at all (if anything, it was youtube being slow).

If you have huge uploads, Bell would be the way to go. Rogers upload is horrendous even at full upload speed.
Unfortunately no Bell gigabit FTTH in my area.

50Mbps VDSL is the faststet Bell service in my area.