• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2017 6:54 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
212 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough

Seems like there's no affordable (<$1000) studio rental units in the GTA

So I've been apartment-hunting for a while, and the cheapest studio apartments -- or rooms with a private kitchen & bathroom -- that are within the GTA seem to go for over $1100/per month. I'm 26 and currently live with my parents (been living with them for the past 6 years), and am now to move out. They are super-controlling and I'm miserable everyday. However, I don't make a lot of money -- I pull in on average ~$3000 per month, depending on the hours I'm given at my job, and in addition it's only a contract job (without benefits) which expires this May, so my financial security is of concern as well (it was renewed last year, but I'm not sure if management will renew it again and my boss can't say for sure). But seriously, I really can't stay with my parents any longer.

Problem is, I work in the Yonge/York Mills area and I can't seem to find any studio apartments or house-share rooms with a private kitchen & bathroom for anything less than $1100. I also need a parking space for my car. All the rental units that are reasonably close to my workplace and fit this criteria are going for over this price.
Granted, I've found two studio listings for ~$875 in the area, but one of them has a history of bed bugs and the other one is run by a terrible (according to Yelp) property management firm, so I'm not going to touch them.

So just wondering, for all those making under ~$50k, how can you afford to live alone? (And if you know of any affordable rental units in North York, do tell.)

EDIT: Just want to mention I cannot / do not want to live with roommates that would entail sharing the kitchen & bathroom.
46 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1897 posts
929 upvotes
Moon
Simply put it will only get worse due to the large increases in housing prices. Since landlords have to pay more to maintain their property that will trickle down into rent very quickly.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
468 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
vanizorc wrote: So I've been apartment-hunting for a while, and the cheapest studio apartments -- or rooms with a private kitchen & bathroom -- that are within the GTA seem to go for over $1100/per month. I'm 26 and currently live with my parents (been living with them for the past 6 years), and am now to move out. They are super-controlling and I'm miserable everyday. However, I don't make a lot of money -- I pull in on average ~$3000 per month, depending on the hours I'm given at my job, and in addition it's only a contract job (without benefits) which expires this May, so my financial security is of concern as well (it was renewed last year, but I'm not sure if management will renew it again and my boss can't say for sure). But seriously, I really can't stay with my parents any longer.

Problem is, I work in the Yonge/York Mills area and I can't seem to find any studio apartments or house-share rooms with a private kitchen & bathroom for anything less than $1100. I also need a parking space for my car. All the rental units that are reasonably close to my workplace and fit this criteria are going for over this price.
Granted, I've found two studio listings for ~$875 in the area, but one of them has a history of bed bugs and the other one is run by a terrible (according to Yelp) property management firm, so I'm not going to touch them.

So just wondering, for all those making under ~$50k, how can you afford to live alone? (And if you know of any affordable rental units in North York, do tell.)

EDIT: Just want to mention I cannot / do not want to live with roommates that would entail sharing the kitchen & bathroom.
I wrote some suggestions but you wouldn't like them. If you can't either double your salary or get along with people right now, there is no solution for you.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Jan 30, 2017
20 posts
1 upvote
Is there a reason why you don't want to share your kitchen and bathroom/live with roommates?
I don't believe there is any other solution based on what you're describing unfortunately :(
I guess so it all comes down to your personal pros and cons - is it worse living with your parents or moving into a place where you have to share or to the terrible property management place. Choose the one you which is best for you and weather it out until you can change your income perhaps
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1472 posts
571 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Check the low rise buildings along Wilson towards Dufferin, there are 2 buildings at 490 Wilson Avenue. They're before Faywood. Also check out the one that is right next to the Temple Sinai synagogue on Wilson. They have bachelors as well. There are also a few 2-3 story small rental buildings on the south side of Wilson just before you get to Bathurst. If you are at Yonge/York Mills for your job, you can be there in 10 min on the bus. The location is good, there's 2 bus routes that run right along Wilson, you can walk to No Frills, banks, etc. but the area ain't pretty. I've seen bachelors advertised in all of these buildings, at one time or another, for less than $1000.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
212 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
eldeejay wrote: I wrote some suggestions but you wouldn't like them. If you can't either double your salary or get along with people right now, there is no solution for you.
Well, there IS a solution - spend more than 35% of my net monthly salary on rent. And wouldn't you think I'd want to double my salary if it was so easy? Having a shitty Philosophy degree sucks.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes
Just put up with your parents until you find the dream rental apartment.

Or are they rushing you out?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9018 posts
10319 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
vanizorc wrote: Well, there IS a solution - spend more than 35% of my net monthly salary on rent. And wouldn't you think I'd want to double my salary if it was so easy? Having a shitty Philosophy degree sucks.
But at least you can think about stuff no?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
vanizorc wrote: Well, there IS a solution - spend more than 35% of my net monthly salary on rent. And wouldn't you think I'd want to double my salary if it was so easy? Having a shitty Philosophy degree sucks.
Degree doesn't limit you...Just get a second job at nights and weekends...Are there no other companies that require the job you're doing? Can't move up?

Pretty easy to get another 1k income by working PT at a restaurant/bar/retail or stock shelves at night...Always hiring for merchandisers by stores
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12213 posts
8626 upvotes
Edmonton
Well, that problem isn't going to fix itself. So what are you going to do to give yourself better career options?

C
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
212 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Huntress03 wrote: Is there a reason why you don't want to share your kitchen and bathroom/live with roommates?
I don't believe there is any other solution based on what you're describing unfortunately :(
I guess so it all comes down to your personal pros and cons - is it worse living with your parents or moving into a place where you have to share or to the terrible property management place. Choose the one you which is best for you and weather it out until you can change your income perhaps
I can't live with roommates because 1) I'm a very private/asocial person and need my own space more than anyone else, and 2) my work schedule necessitates odd working/sleeping hours, so I really can't be bothered to deal with noisy/intrusive people in my living space. I'll probably end up choosing the apartment with the bad property management company in the end (Medallion Corporation), as that is the lesser of the evils.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1067 posts
409 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
vanizorc wrote: I can't live with roommates because 1) I'm a very private/asocial person and need my own space more than anyone else, and 2) my work schedule necessitates odd working/sleeping hours, so I really can't be bothered to deal with noisy/intrusive people in my living space. I'll probably end up choosing the apartment with the bad property management company in the end (Medallion Corporation), as that is the lesser of the evils.
Nothing in Scarborough?

Even in the hood?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
Basement apartment?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3021 posts
1612 upvotes
Mississauga
Basement apartment for the win
Aug 20, 2015
514 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
Just a quick look,

http://viewit.ca/vwExpandView.aspx?ViT=177587
http://viewit.ca/vwExpandView.aspx?ViT=50194

Have you considered losing your car and just taking public transportation if you need to rent? Carrying both rent and a car on a single income can be pricy.

Also, what happens if you sign a 12 month lease and your contract doesn't renew. You might have to find a job that is no longer convenient to where you moved, or be jobless and paying rent. I would recommend putting up with living with your parents for another couple months until your work situation becomes more permanent.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8735 posts
1629 upvotes
Vancouver
Why do you need to be in Toronto? Doesn't sound like proximity to king west is your concern. You drive a car so transit isn't an issue?

I'd start looking at the burbs man. Pick whatever suburb where you go against traffic for your work and do it for a year, reevaluate after.

There are still these $1000 ish units out there, but they get snagged up fast. Need to stay on top of them and if you find one that is decent sit on it. That's what my friends do in that category but live in pretty ghetto buildings, but with good locations downtown.

Yes it's a struggle in this city, don't listen to all these double your wealth negative overnight rfd'ers. Hopefully in a few years this isn't a concern for you. Moving out is a next step in life even if you like your parents, it's worth it. Good luck.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3711 posts
3208 upvotes
I am not joking with the following reply.

If you are not pulling chicks with your car then drop it. You will feel more liberated, you'll be able to afford a nicer place and most importantly having extra cash will give you new ideas/motivation to do something else. Don't be a slave to your wheels. TTC sucks, but it's actually not bad for getting around Toronto. You should see where I live. Wife spends 5 hours a day in traffic and her job is "close by" in her own words.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45460 posts
5972 upvotes
Richmond Hill
OP, you have to come to reality that beggars can't be choosers. You have to make some sacrifice. It's either live with your parents, live with roommates, live farther away, or ditch the car. If you're living near the subway (Yonge/York Mills), why do you need a car?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1602 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bed bugs aren't that big a concern. You can fill up some containers (the bottoms of pop bottles, for instance) with mineral oil and put the bed legs into that. It's much cheaper than relying on pest companies, but you need to be careful about the length of bedspreads and don't let things hang onto the beg.

I would rather deal with things I can control. Bedbugs are controllable, rental companies aren't.