• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2019 11:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1005 posts
280 upvotes

sega genesis mini

It's out today and the reviews are very good.

Now....Is there any reason to buy this instead of playing all the library of Sega on the psx mini ? I already have the psx mini and the mini snes.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8539 posts
2936 upvotes
I bought one.

Digital Foundry did a review on it. They say the original console is still the superior way to play the games because the Genesis mini's emulation
is merely great but not exact.

The SNES was my first real console as a kid.

Most friends at school had a Super Nintendo as their console.
Some of my cousins had Sega Genesis I was never really impressed with it.

My SNES games collection:

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
EarthBound
Final Fight 3
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III (which is really Final Fantasy 6)
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
TMNT: Turtles in Time
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Power Rangers The Movie Edition
Super Street Fighter II
WWF the Arcade Game

Pretty much any game on the SNES list above except WWF, NBA Jam TE, and PRME are better than any games ever released on the Sega Genesis IMO.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Sep 29th, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2030 posts
273 upvotes
I almost bought it but backed out of the American release. No six button controller, yikes! Rather have the Japanese release.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8539 posts
2936 upvotes
I bought the official Retrobit 6 button controllers on amazon.

tinlun wrote: I almost bought it but backed out of the American release. No six button controller, yikes! Rather have the Japanese release.
With the original Genesis 3-button controller, Street Fighter II has awkward controls because you have to press the start button to toggle between using the three punch,
or three kick inputs.

Sega Genesis has awful sound quality compared to the SNES. Many of the otherwise great
character themes on Street Fighter II sound at their worst on the Genesis.

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2030 posts
273 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: I bought the official Retrobit 6 button controllers on amazon.

With the original Genesis 3-button controller, Street Fighter II has awkward controls because you have to press the start button to toggle between using the three punch,
or three kick inputs.

Sega Genesis has awful sound quality compared to the SNES. Many of the otherwise great
character themes on Street Fighter II sound at their worst on the Genesis.

But the Genesis had blast processing. Sega does what Nintendon't
Dec 1, 2011
23 posts
6 upvotes
Greater Vancouver
Walmart is selling the Sega Genesis Mini for around $65 starting tomorrow for their Early Black Friday sale. It's in the flyer.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14381 posts
4531 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote: Pretty much any game on the SNES list above except WWF, NBA Jam TE, and PRME are better than any games ever released on the Sega Genesis IMO.
That's because the Genesis (released 1989) was a generation behind the SNES (released 1991-92).
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8539 posts
2936 upvotes
They are considered part of the same Console Generation.
Console generation 4 (Turbo GFX, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_ge ... e_consoles

2 years apart is not much of a difference: Generation 6 (DreamCast, PS2, GameCube, XBox 1, ) ... Console Generation 5 (3DO, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64).

As with the examples above, there were bigger release gaps in subsequent console releases each console generation.
Even using current gen: (Wii U, XBox One, PS4, PS4 Pro, XBox One X, Nintendo Switch).
JackWhyte wrote: That's because the Genesis (released 1989) was a generation behind the SNES (released 1991-92).
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14381 posts
4531 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote: They are considered part of the same Console Generation.
Sure, but that era was one of massive jumps in technology, and the Genesis was really developed to beat down on the original NES (check the old commercials) not to compete against newer consoles coming down the pike. Back then it was a revolutionary market where a new processor or graphics chip would be exponentially faster than a previous version, with tons of new features, while today it's more evolutionary, with each new CPU/GPU generation being 15-20% faster than the previous one.

A 2-year gap in 1989 was a lifetime for computer tech, while 2 years in 2019 is virtually inconsequential. For example, I bought my i7-8700 desktop about 2 years ago and it's still fast and outperforms many 10th-gen CPUs. Back in the early-90's a new CPU would usually be multiples faster than its predecessor, with a boxload of new features.

In real-world terms Genesis really bridges the NES to SNES gap more than anything else, and had as much to with the NES generation as it did the SNES.

Basically, the console nerds like to place everything in neat little "boxes" or generations, but back then, it was nowhere as clean as it is today, with the SNES competing with the PS1 and Saturn for several years (WTF?).... Console releases were haphazard and only using a bizarre form of hindsight (and a ton of hubris) could you even attempt to neatly catalog them into little packages.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.