• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 9:48 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes

Selections of new house upgrades

Hi Experts

i am starting to make choice for my new house interior upgrades ,paints ,lighting , kitchen stuff etc at the same time i don't want to burn my bank ... i have been assigned a person for this to go through selections by builder

anything important i can tick off worth adding now itself ..which will pay me off more later

i heard of below suggestions so far
1.add more cabinets
2.upgrade carpet

looking for more suggestions regarding kitchen island ..i think i have lighting allowance around 1500 not sure if that's enough but i think i need little more there

what about fireplace and adding big kitchen counter top ..i am getting small one ..these are others things on top of my mind now .. please advise
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22851 posts
21703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Helpful if you provide a floor plan
So we can SEE the space you are working with
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1281 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
Holiday outlet (switch in hallway) on exterior roof (makes exterior potlights much easier) ~$200 for this
Conduit from basement to attic (makes2nd floor Wireless AP, Network drop,s security cameras, etc easier)- $400 for this
Smooth ceilings
8ft doors (assuming high ceiling)
Outlet over fireplace
Upgrade any tile (as you dont want to rip out tile to do yourself)
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
Network jacks in all rooms, wifi is great but nothing beats wired, plus you can use it to for an AP that is centrally located.

I regret not getting a conduit from basement to attic, actually getting pot lights installed and they had to run it outside.

Cabinets in kitchen and tile/hardwood. I'd skip carpet since you'll likely be replacing in 5+ years especially if you have kids.

Of you have a fireplace and plan to mount a TV, get an outlet as well as conduit for cables.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: Concentrate on upgrades that will be impossible to do later, like 9' basement, or would be prohibitive in terms of costs. A lot of the stuff in the kitchen that can be done later will definitively costs you more done through the builder.

Upgrades I would recommend:

- 9' ceiling in basement
- cold storage
- copper pipes
- 200 amps if house doesn't come with 200 amps
- increase wall insulation IF possible/available
- fully insulated garage walls (if builder does rough drywall) + insulated garage doors to max available value (R-12?). Can always add attic access in ceiling of garage and add R-40 batt insulation yourself.
This is what house comes with "100-amp service panel with breakers" does it mean house only comes with 100 amps ? ..what is the benefit of asking for 200 amps can you please explain
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
mattdominic wrote: This is what house comes with "100-amp service panel with breakers" does it mean house only comes with 100 amps ? ..what is the benefit of asking for 200 amps can you please explain
If you ever finish the basement you'll likely need to upgrade the panel.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
Also basement features below specifications

basement ceiling height approximately 8 feet 8 inches
basement exterior walls framed at 24', o.c. with R20 insulation -

is R20 good or can i ask for better and how much it would cost me ...
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: @mattdominic I forgot to say if you do get a 200 amps electrical panel of course get a 240 outlet installed in the garage for plugging an electric vehicle.

Also, you should specify if by default the house comes with a finished basement and if by default the garage is drywall.
i will surely get a quote for 200 amps ..no i am going with unfinished basement and have no plans to finish it as i will be using it as gym ..

Also Is there anything i can do with garage flooring ..my current garage floor is always messy and cant walk without barefoot the amount of dust it collects

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)