• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2016 9:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2261 posts
488 upvotes

Self-Balancing Electric Skateboards $449 / Unicycles $375 or less

Here's a bit of a cool deal on these self-balancing electric skateboard and unicycles. They go by names like Phunkeeduck, IO Hawk, Solowheel, Airwheel, Ninebot One etc. They aren't cheap, but there are other sources like AliExpress, Alibaba, and eBay which have them for less. I'm hoping that people might reply here to post up some links to cheaper deals on these and give them more exposure so the price eventually will come down. I think they are based on Segway technology. The Solowheel I believe was invented by someone from Washington State. Check the laws in your area to find out where you can ride them as they are not legal to ride on pathways and streets in some areas. I have seen AliExpress sellers sell these for as low as $330 USD with Free DHL Shipping for the skateboard and about $239 USD with FS for the Unicycle.

EDIT: Please note that DHL might not be able to ship Electric Unicycles any more so FedEx or UPS might be the only choices. If you see a seller shipping by DHL, they may not know that DHL has been refusing to ship these out so that may end up to be a delay on DHL's part. I have seen some AliExpress negative feedback showing up reflecting problems with DHL shipping leading to disappointment so just be aware of this. I don't know if DHL are rejecting the Two Wheel Electric Balance Skateboards though.

Self Balancing Electric Scooter Drifting Board $540.94 CDN

$449 +$17 S/H + Taxes at Beyond the Rack Canada - posted courtesy of user TE7 Buyer Beware though

http://www.banggood.com/4400mah-Dual-Wh ... 58220.html

[IMG]http://www.electricvehicles4you.org/ima ... 25x318.jpg[/IMG]

350W Electric Unicycle 132Wh $374.49 CDN

http://www.banggood.com/L01-AUMA-Motor- ... 56153.html

Bestbuy $799.99 - sale is over. Up to $996 now.

[IMG]http://mobilityreporter.nl/wp-content/u ... 3/SBU1.jpg[/IMG]

Videos:

Related links:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/

airwheel-x3-electric-unicycle-cool-1489784/

io-hawk-legal-illegal-sidewalks-toronto-1760055/

mini-segway-like-self-balancing-scooter-1756783/

Disclaimer: I have no financial nor business interests in these devices. I just think they are pretty cool.

Just for price comparison, check out the prices for an electric skateboard here:

http://www.evolveskateboards.ca/boards/

http://www.zboardshop.com/products/classic-sale

https://www.skatetek.com/

Alternative Sellers (YYMV - it may be best to shop around and compare prices and seller feedback. Also some AliExpress sellers are open to negotiation so try contacting them. Some also have clickable coupons.) Please note that I do not have experience buying from some of these sellers so you have to research their feedback just like on eBay to protect yourself. Prices tend to vary due to exchange rate and seller's pricing.

[SKATEBOARDS]

$395 CDN TWEBS

$373 CDN 6.5 inch TWEBS or less with mobile app + coupons

$377 TWEBS or less on mobile + coupon - shipping through slow boat from China. Not a bad deal if you don't mind waiting 30-40 days...

$410 TWEBS This is an interesting one. Free shipping from US.

$414 CDN TWEBS - newer seller, not many orders

$421 CDN Smart Balance Wheel Seller has minimal feedback, but one US buyer did receive his (see feedback). Buyer beware... This might be a price error as when you add the item to your cart the price changes to $421 with no 20% discount. I confirmed that this is a price mistake. They are wanting to sell these at $327 USD. They do not know the brand of the battery, but they are willing to declare it at what you specify if you contact them.

$465.46 Samsung Battery version You need to click the photo that says Samsung on it before buying. - Price is now $504 CDN for the Samsung battery version, still $465 for the generic battery.

$566.45 + $6.54 S/H at Amazon.ca Self Balancing 2 Wheel Electric Scooter (ships from Hong Kong so duties may apply)

$480 CDN on Amazon, might ship from CANADA?

$483.34 CDN 10 Inch Big Wheel Version Smart Balance Wheel - price has gone up to $514

$523.66 + Free S/H 10 Inch Big Wheel Version Self Balancing 2 Wheel Skateboard

[UNICYCLES]

$345 CDN (less with coupons) knock off of Ninebot

$322 CDN Electric Self Balancing Unicycle

$495 Free S/H Dual Wheel This might be easier to balance on, but it might be harder to turn on it (?).

$360 Very Cool Carbon Fibre look Electric Unicycle - A big caution with this one as the seller has no feedback. They also have a camo version. I highly doubt the carbon fibre look one is made of actual carbon fibre. It's probably just some surface photo coating as these unicycles can come with American Flag prints, customized logos, etc.

$555 CDN Cloned Ninebot One version

[Accessories]

Stand for Unicycle (may not fit all models - check first before buying!)

Unicycle retractable handle This might come in handy when first learning to ride. EDIT: Don't bother buying this - it doesn't help you learn how to ride! I got mine, and my balance was worse with it attached. It can be handy to push the wheel around but not to pull it from behind as the wheel flops to one side or the other.

Carrying Bag for 6.5 Inch Wheel TWEBS

Ebay Fraudsters

Please use caution when buying on eBay as these self balancing smart wheels are a hot ticket item right now so there's bound to be sellers popping up trying to scam people. eBay does have some protections against this, but the hassle of returning an item not as described may not be worth it in the end. There can be money lost in a USD refund due to the exchange going back onto your credit card. Always, buyer beware, and if it looks too good to be true, it likely is. These items weigh like 25 pounds, and the cost to ship them alone costs about $100 through DHL. If an item is selling for $89 with free shipping from China, how can that make sense? Take this auction for example. 7 out of ten were sold, but now eBay has pulled it.

sketchy ebay auction
- eBay totally erased it. I should have taken a screen capture. Basically it was about $89 with free shipping, 7 out of 10 sold. Delivery time was 20 to 30 days from China.

See any similarities here? These guys will sell like 3 out of 10 items then shut the auction down to try to stay under the radar.

Things to Consider when Buying From China/Hong Kong:

1. Returns for defective products for heavy items is going to cost a heck of a lot of money using Canada Post. For small items like tablet computers small packets costs like $19 with no tracking. For a heavy item like this scooter, it can be very pricey to return. Most items are checked, but things can happen during shipping (ever see a courier drop a parcel coming down from a plane ramp?) which can jar things loose or cause damage. Remember you can't just bring this back to a local store for an exchange. China / Hong Kong is very far away. If you are risk averse, pay a bit more and buy locally or from an online store that has your back covered. In other words, don't count too much on warranty policies unless they cover return shipping which is probably unlikely.

2. It seems like DHL is the cheapest courier to use from China/Hong Kong. I asked about EMS shipping, and the cost was much higher apparently from the quote I was given.

3. If the seller does not "massage" the declared value you could end up getting a bad surprise from DHL upon receiving the item. For example, an item declared to be about $69 to 100 they charge $21. Imagine what a $400 item would be.

4. Some of these items may not meet local safety codes so a faulty non-CE or CSA approved charger could potentially burn down your house. Use caution with these items as they are likely not certified for Canada. You can still import them, but it will be at your own risk.

5. Although photos may seem to show similar items, different manufacturers clone products so quality and quality control will vary. With these motorized scooters, a failing circuit board could result in serious injury if you are not expecting it. The last thing I would want to happen is to have a child get injured on one of these so use caution with these made in China items as accidents can happen. Safety gear should be worn while using them.

6. Replacement parts may be difficult to source. As these appear to be pretty new (start of January 2015?), you may not see a lot of circuit boards or batteries easily available yet. Hopefully as they become more common, replacement parts will be more readily available.

Questions to Ask Sellers:

0. Some sellers are having items rejected by DHL for shipping due to the lithium batteries. Are you certain you can ship this item to me using DHL? Are there other courier options available and at what cost? It looks like Banggood has switched to EMS shipping for their TWEBS and EU's so I think DHL might be out as an option.
1. Are you able to declare the item for a lower value, preferably between $60 to 99 to help decrease local customs duties and taxes?
2. Does the self-balancing electric skateboard/wheel use SAMSUNG batteries? There appears to be 3 type of batteries used. "General, Sony, or Samsung" with Samsung likely being the best. If they tell you it has "lithium" batteries they likely don't know what brand of battery it uses or just don't realize they come with different ones. Some sellers are just selling these as middlemen, and they sell a bunch of other non-related items. It's like going to a Dollar Store and asking what brand of built-in battery does this $20 iPood MP3 player use?
3. If buying an electric unicycle, find out whether it comes with removable training wheels, removable tether strap for learning, and cushion pads with double sided tape for placement.
4. Does the electric skateboard come with a remote control for power/learning mode/calibration? The remote isn't really necessary to have unless you absolutely want to turn off the side LED lighting. In fact, mine just sits around inside the house when I use the board outside. It's not a dealbreaker if they don't include one.

FAQ:

1. What is the remote that comes with some of these skateboards used for?
- It turns off the unit remotely without needing to press the power button. It also allows you to set the skateboard into "training" mode which limits the speed to about 6 KPH. It also allows you to calibrate the unit if for some reason the auto balance is not working correctly. The one I have turns the unit off remotely (top button), sets the unit in standby mode where the balance feature is turned off, turns on/off the lights (middle gear button), and adjusts the mode from training/pro (mode button). There is also a way to calibrate the board using a combination of buttons. My remote is different, but watch the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtu2UwWQPPc

Photo of Remote (may vary depending on seller)

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/28w1tv.jpg[/IMG]

1.5 Don't have a remote? How do I calibrate the 2 wheel skateboard if it is not working right?
- (caution not all TWEBS use this same procedure YMMV) The remote isn't needed to calibrate the unit. If the unit isn't functioning normally due to a crash which might upset the gryo and accelerometer settings, power off the unit. Make sure it is level (place it in the styrofoam half shell it came in). Turn it back on, but keep pressing the power button and keep it depressed for a few seconds until the unit enters calibration mode. You want to leave the unit stationary and level during this process. It will flash some lights and beep, and eventually it will turn itself off. The process should be completed. The calibration also helps if the board spins faster in one direction than the other when doing a 360 spin in one spot. On mine, it was turning slower in the counter-clockwise direction, but after the calibration it's pretty even.

2. With the electric unicycle, what are those pads and the double sided tape for?
- The cushion pieces can be cut and stuck onto the unicycle to provide protection and padding during the learning phase. They help prevent scuffs to the plastic if the unit takes a tumble. From personal experience, it may be best to apply them mainly to the sides of the unit next to the legs in a sideways fashion with two pieces one above the other to protect the inner sides of your legs as they receive the most bumps. I would wrap the ends slightly around the edges of the box-like component to prevent corner injuries to the legs.

3. How heavy is the skateboard/unicycle? Can I carry it around easy if I need to (eg. run out of battery power)?
- The electric skateboard is not light. It feels hefty in the hand like a large barbell. There is no handle on it so you either end up grabbing the narrow middle part or using two hands to carry it around. There are form fitting carrying bags available for them, but I wouldn't want to lug it around very far. I would estimate it weighs about 27 pounds as it feels like you are carrying around one of those medium sized Canadian Tire portable battery power banks. The unicycle I think weighs a bit more depending on which model you get, but even with the handle it has a good weight to it. Don't run out of power far from home as carrying these around by hand would not be fun. Some of the unicycles have retractable or attachable handlebars like on luggage cases which I can see might help during learning and rolling the unit around.

4. Troubleshooting
- check out the posts here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/minisegway
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
566 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2618 posts
992 upvotes
QC, Canada
I want one so bad!! Anyone already bought an original price maybe a clone? Do they are the same quality?
Jan 21, 2007
479 posts
199 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Never knew these existed! The unicycle looks way more practical than the skateboard:

Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5151 posts
1833 upvotes
How to look HOMOpolar in 1 easy step.

1. Buy this and ride it on the street.

Done !

People will instantly notice that the device uses homopolar gyroscopic motors.
For more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_motor

Edit: I had to edit because apparently mods don't know GAY also means happy or jovial so i decided to talk about homopolar motors instead.

:D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2261 posts
488 upvotes
Wiz Kalifa and a bunch of other celebs seem to like them. They seem pretty "happy" and "good spirited" riding them.

Off-roading Motocross style

The unicycle is not as easy as it looks to get riding on. The scooter on the other hand is pretty easy.

Note: Some of the sellers on AliExpress will reduce the declared cost of the items to lower DHL import fees to about $21 which helps a lot. You might double check with them if they can do that.
koontzy wrote: I want one so bad!! Anyone already bought an original price maybe a clone? Do they are the same quality?
That was my first reaction when I saw the Youtube videos. I think at the higher priced name brand end (ie. Phunkeeduck, Ninebot One) which go for about $1799 you'd best check some of the enthusiast forums to see what they think of them. I know the Ninebots are popular in the UK so that Unicycle forum I linked to should have some people who can give you their opinions on them. I have not found a forum for the electric self-balancing board/skateboard/rollything/whateverit'scalled yet. The quality of the no name brands is quite good. I don't see any shortcuts being taken although I'm sure there will be differences in battery cells used (eg. Samsung vs other brand).
Play Hay Day!
May 9, 2015
97 posts
16 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
I have recently purchased one from Alibaba for 450$ (CAD) shipped.
It should arrive by Friday as stated on the tracking, hopefully it wont get hit with import charges and such, but oh well.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2618 posts
992 upvotes
QC, Canada
Hormore wrote: I have recently purchased one from Alibaba for 450$ (CAD) shipped.
It should arrive by Friday as stated on the tracking, hopefully it wont get hit with import charges and such, but oh well.
Do you still have the link you used to buy it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
6112 posts
271 upvotes
Hormore wrote: I have recently purchased one from Alibaba for 450$ (CAD) shipped.
These sites are charging $600 and upwards while Alibaba has it for roughly $500 + customs which can be upwards of $100 each. I would rather buy it off Kijiji $500-$600 and not risk the customs charge.
Apr 4, 2013
232 posts
210 upvotes
Montr
Coz4k wrote: How to look ___ in 1 easy step.

1. Buy this and ride it on the street.

Done !
How old are you? 5? Who does ___ jokes in 2015?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2261 posts
488 upvotes
Shipping on AliExpress from what I've seen is typically around $100 or free (they hide the cost in the item price) using DHL. For both my items DHL only charged me about $21 CDN which isn't too bad to get it in about 3-5 days. $335 USD is about $426 CDN (the CDN dollar is really sucking right now). Add $21 on top of that to have a landed cost of $447 CDN for the scooter and about $314 CDN for the unicycle all taxes/brokerage/import duties included. You have to be careful to check that the seller can work the declared cost in your favor though as DHL calculates their fees on what the item is declared at. These items are very heavy so I haven't seen cheap shipping from China anywhere yet. Don't expect to be carrying these around easily by hand for long distances unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger.

From a business standpoint (eg. large warehouse, Home Depot, etc) where employees have to do a lot of walking or patrolling, the 2 wheel self-balancing scooter might be something to consider as it really takes the work off moving short distances from point A to point B. I wonder whether businesses would have to get special insurance coverage though...
Play Hay Day!
Jul 20, 2014
15 posts
Toronto, ON
Amazon.com has them for sale around the same price you will have to check on shipping to Canada or use a post office box in Niagara if your from Ontario
Aug 31, 2011
312 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Seen a guy two days got zip by king east towards yonge street on unicycle.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
6112 posts
271 upvotes
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: Shipping on AliExpress from what I've seen is typically around $100 or free (they hide the cost in the item price) using DHL. For both my items DHL only charged me about $21 CDN which isn't too bad to get it in about 3-5 days. $335 USD is about $426 CDN (the CDN dollar is really sucking right now). Add $21 on top of that to have a landed cost of $447 CDN for the scooter and about $314 CDN for the unicycle all taxes/brokerage/import duties included. You have to be careful to check that the seller can work the declared cost in your favor though as DHL calculates their fees on what the item is declared at. These items are very heavy so I haven't seen cheap shipping from China anywhere yet. Don't expect to be carrying these around easily by hand for long distances unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger.

From a business standpoint (eg. large warehouse, Home Depot, etc) where employees have to do a lot of walking or patrolling, the 2 wheel self-balancing scooter might be something to consider as it really takes the work off moving short distances from point A to point B. I wonder whether businesses would have to get special insurance coverage though...
That is the big risk when buying from China. You never know if you will get charged $21 or $100+.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2261 posts
488 upvotes
I've never bought anything from AliExpress before, and after unsuccessfully combing through Alibaba and the iOS app I picked a couple of AliExpress sellers which looked ok. In the details they actually put down that they help out by declaring at below cost to help with import fees. For the first item just after placing my order, I asked if they could reduce the declared value in the contact messaging box, and they were happy to do it. It arrived with a value of $99 if I remember correctly. That resulted in a DHL fee of $21. For the second item I bought it from a different seller, and I didn't bother asking about declaring it differently, and they automatically put it down as $68 which oddly enough was about $21 in DHL fees. There must be a range of declared costs that end up to be $21, maybe $50-100 of value? I don't know how DHL does their math... In any case, that's why I mentioned that it's best to ask the seller first maybe to see if they can do the declaration adjustment for you. Ethically it is like ripping off the government in taxes, but seeing how well the Senate and other members make use of our tax dollars I guess we each have to decide whether we can sleep with that at night. I wouldn't cheat on my taxes, but asking a seller from China to fudge some numbers doesn't seem to be a huge crime to me.

Here's a review from Casey Neistat:

Play Hay Day!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)