Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14190 posts
3408 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Is This Self Defense?

https://v.redd.it/z0vradiw77n51

If you can't watch the video, here's the recap:
  1. Robber is on the sidewalk, runs to the road, and pulls out gun at an oncoming vehicle
  2. Driver floors it and hits the robber, sending them flying
  3. Others in the area carry the robber around to give him some additional injuries

I'd like to think the driver can get away as it's a form of self defense. But knowing our laws, I wouldn't be surprised if the driver ended up in jail instead because our justice system protects criminals.
41 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1910 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
geokilla wrote: https://v.redd.it/z0vradiw77n51

1. Robber is on the sidewalk, runs to the road, and pulls out gun at an oncoming vehicle
  2. Driver floors it and hits the robber, sending them flying
  3. Others in the area carry the robber around to give him some additional injuries

I'd like to think the driver can get away as it's a form of self defense. But knowing our laws, I wouldn't be surprised if the driver ended up in jail instead because our justice system protects criminals.
Definitely didn't look like USA, Canada, or any Western country. Looks like Brazil? I highly doubt it would even go to court.

Nice hit by the driver tho, hopefully the guy with the gun learned a lesson that day.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1904 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
To me it's self defense - good for the driver, pity the robber didn't die from the incident as he would have fatally shot the driver if he could. I would have also have driven into him. Was just thinking that if I ever get carjacked, I would drive into another car. If I'm going to get killed, will take the criminal with me to hell.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14190 posts
3408 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
FreshCo wrote: Definitely didn't look like USA, Canada, or any Western country. Looks like Brazil? I highly doubt it would even go to court.

Nice hit by the driver tho, hopefully the guy with the gun learned a lesson that day.
I was wondering what would happen if the exact same thing happened here. Hence why I referred to our justice system.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18989 posts
1995 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
This is why we need CCTV or at least every car should have a dashcam from the factory.

Some of those SOuth American countries are so messed up with kidnappings for ransom and or human trafficking. They're even start (or started) to come to North America to perpetrate those crimes. In a sitution like that, the thought of having to defend yourself in court should never cloud your judgement as the saying goes; rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4050 posts
245 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
100 % self defense, the guy had a gun.....
Traveling 😁
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7035 posts
1365 upvotes
Toronto
Your insurance rate will go through the roof though, so it might be better just to take the bullet.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Nov 28, 2011
60 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
This is despicable. The driver should have calmly pulled over and dialed 9/11 and waited for the police to arrive.
Self defence is not a right in Canada. If you are in danger it is your duty to remain calm and wait for the police to arrive.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15466 posts
4611 upvotes
London
geokilla wrote: I was wondering what would happen if the exact same thing happened here. Hence why I referred to our justice system.
Already happened
michael-bryant-allan-sheppard-bicycle-i ... -a-784053/

tl:dr
Mentally ill and drunk, a bike courier accosts multiple motorists looking for a fight. Guy tries to attack a driver in an open convertible, driver hits the gas. Bike guy tries to hang on, but falls and is run over. Driver charged with death of bike guy
Last edited by l69norm on Sep 15th, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2028 posts
1281 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
wilmaster001 wrote: This is despicable. The driver should have calmly pulled over and dialed 9/11 and waited for the police to arrive.
Self defence is not a right in Canada. If you are in danger it is your duty to remain calm and wait for the police to arrive.
You're kidding - right?

Another case that is still before the courts in Toronto, but the most serious of charges (manslaughter) has been dropped by the Crown:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/an ... to-be-good
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3688 posts
2481 upvotes
geokilla wrote: https://v.redd.it/z0vradiw77n51

1. Others in the area carry the robber around to give him some additional injuries
This actually made me laugh out loud Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

In this case I don't think the driver should he held liable even though it looks like he could have kept driving and avoided hitting him - the gunman jumped out of the way but the driver seemed to swerved to hit him (it might have been unintentional though)...if I was in that situation I would have avoided hitting him.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4627 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
I don't think doing anything inside a car can get you into jail unless its like bowling and you take out like 6+ ppl.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Jul 1, 2016
790 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
wilmaster001 wrote: This is despicable. The driver should have calmly pulled over and dialed 9/11 and waited for the police to arrive.
1) You're assuming this took place in Canada
2) Were you calm the last time someone pointed a firearm at you?
3) Please define "Duty" to remain calm...
Pixelation~