Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13115 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Already happened
michael-bryant-allan-sheppard-bicycle-i ... -a-784053/

tl:dr
Mentally ill and drunk, a bike courier accosts multiple motorists looking for a fight. Guy tries to attack a driver in an open convertible, driver hits the gas. Bike guy tries to hang on, but falls and is run over. Driver charged with death of bike guy
Bryant ended up having all his charges dropped.
Nov 28, 2011
60 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote: Bryant ended up having all his charges dropped.
So the moral of the story is that in Canada , even if you are 100% justified in your self defense, there will be charges brought against you and you will be forced to defend yourself in Court against the state.

If you kill someone , no matter the circumstances you will be treated like a criminal and arrested and detained against your will.

Almost like they don't want Canadians to be able to defend themselves huh ?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3690 posts
1424 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Others in the area carry the robber around to give him some additional injuries
Actually, those are also robbers working with the guy with the gun... they were trying to help him up...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15486 posts
4619 upvotes
London
Swerny wrote: Bryant ended up having all his charges dropped.
Only cause Bryant could afford a high end legal defense team (Marie Henein).

If it had been a regular guy, we would not have those kind of financial resources. We likely would have been (wrongly) convicted of dangerous driving causing death and criminal negligence causing death (plus significant jail time).

The cops had tunnel vision and didn't dig deeper. Bryant's defense team did all the investigative work that the cops didn't do. The cops should have found that the victim had a past history of attacking other motorists. In the preceding weeks, the victim had at least 6 previous incidents where he attacked and threatened other motorists. The victim takes the innocent actions of others and perceives them as slights against him, then reacts violently.

Here is one of those previous incidents, caught on camera below. The victim threatens the SUV driver, grabs the driver thru the window and tries to take the keys. Now imagine if you were Bryant, unprotected in an open convertible .

Ironically, after charges were dropped, the whole incident lead to a major life/ career change for Bryant

https://lawandstyle.ca/law/cover-story- ... =hootsuite
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13115 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Only cause Bryant could afford a high end legal defense team (Marie Henein).

If it had been a regular guy, we would not have those kind of financial resources. We likely would have been (wrongly) convicted of dangerous driving causing death and criminal negligence causing death (plus significant jail time).

The cops had tunnel vision and didn't dig deeper. Bryant's defense team did all the investigative work that the cops didn't do. The cops should have found that the victim had a past history of attacking other motorists. In the preceding weeks, the victim had at least 6 previous incidents where he attacked and threatened other motorists. The victim takes the innocent actions of others and perceives them as slights against him, then reacts violently.

Here is one of those previous incidents, caught on camera below. The victim threatens the SUV driver, grabs the driver thru the window and tries to take the keys. Now imagine if you were Bryant, unprotected in an open convertible .

Ironically, after charges were dropped, the whole incident lead to a major life/ career change for Bryant

I'm not disagreeing with you and I know the story.

Others may not, which is why i added what i did.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13110 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Drunk drivers don't get sentenced to a lot of time when they run over innocent ppl. I don't see a prob here running over someone pointing a gun at u, waiting to carjack u.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11370 posts
7670 upvotes
Edmonton
l69norm wrote: Already happened
michael-bryant-allan-sheppard-bicycle-i ... -a-784053/

tl:dr
Mentally ill and drunk, a bike courier accosts multiple motorists looking for a fight. Guy tries to attack a driver in an open convertible, driver hits the gas. Bike guy tries to hang on, but falls and is run over. Driver charged with death of bike guy
He was charged, but it never went to trial. Charges were dropped, and even the prosecutor said he was legally justified in his attempt to get away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael ... olitician)

Never mind... I see others have already chimed in. :)

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34034 posts
19899 upvotes
Ottawa
My reaction would also run the assailant down.
At that moment, it's him or my family.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6360 posts
3304 upvotes
Aurora
I applaud the quick reactions of the driver. Despite movies, cars are not bullet proof. Running down the scum was the quickest way out of danger rather than dodging around him and risking bullets getting pumped into your non-bullet-proof car.

Looks like the overwhelming opinion in this thread is that the driver did no wrong. So if we represent the typical jury, then the driver should have no worries.

LOL, what a dumbass. Bringing a gun to a car fight.
Apr 1, 2015
835 posts
458 upvotes
NOYB
Dude had perfect reaction. If you live in a hood where you always have to walk or drive on eggshells every day you would do the same.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1714 posts
452 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Only cause Bryant could afford a high end legal defense team (Marie Henein).

I actually think brant left Ontario and went to bc to get away from all the press. I remember when that happened in Toronto and the douche bike courier getting up in everyone’s faces lol wonder why people hate bikers.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1714 posts
452 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: My reaction would also run the assailant down.
At that moment, it's him or my family.
Family first baby
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1714 posts
452 upvotes
There was another incident where a suv got swarmed full on shit head crotch rocket bikers like 20 of them and a guy took his helmet off and started smashing the front window and he had his family in the suv and he drove through like 15 of them to get away, some died oh well don’t instigate no harm to be done. I don’t think those bikers will do that again.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2028 posts
1282 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
shawn01 wrote: There was another incident where a suv got swarmed full on shit head crotch rocket bikers like 20 of them and a guy took his helmet off and started smashing the front window and he had his family in the suv and he drove through like 15 of them to get away, some died oh well don’t instigate no harm to be done. I don’t think those bikers will do that again.
I believe this is the most comprehensive list of articles on that incident:

https://nypost.com/tag/alexian-lien/
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"