Is This Self Defense?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2020 11:36 am
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1896 posts
460 upvotes
In Hiding
wilmaster001 wrote: So the moral of the story is that in Canada , even if you are 100% justified in your self defense, there will be charges brought against you and you will be forced to defend yourself in Court against the state.

If you kill someone , no matter the circumstances you will be treated like a criminal and arrested and detained against your will.

Almost like they don't want Canadians to be able to defend themselves huh ?
However, the criminal will be released with no charges after being assessed as:
- having mental problems
- suffered a sad childhood
- been racially impacted
- attacking you unintentionally
- experienced bullying
etc etc etc.

Also they will get free care if in prison or in hospital, whereas you have to pay for all medical expenses yourself if injured by that criminal - and insurance won't pay because it was a violent confrontation. Innocent people are at a disadvantage because we're not allowed to carry "weapons" for self defense while most criminals are armed, and the cops won't get to us in time to save us (especially in a home invasion). Members of the public will not help you either for fear of <........>.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43378 posts
6607 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
geokilla wrote: https://v.redd.it/z0vradiw77n51

If you can't watch the video, here's the recap:
  1. Robber is on the sidewalk, runs to the road, and pulls out gun at an oncoming vehicle
  2. Driver floors it and hits the robber, sending them flying
  3. Others in the area carry the robber around to give him some additional injuries

I'd like to think the driver can get away as it's a form of self defense. But knowing our laws, I wouldn't be surprised if the driver ended up in jail instead because our justice system protects criminals.
How do you know it wasnt a rival drug dealer just ending fools with his car. And those people beating on him because the guy was rolling up in their hood :-0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9325 posts
6935 upvotes
personally the guy deserved being run over.
Apr 1, 2015
763 posts
434 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
IIRC in the GTA game if you are on foot and fire at a driving cab, the driver would pull off and try to fight you bare fist...? Face With Tears Of Joy

Correct me if I'm wrong. Only played it on my friend's iPad.
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1893 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
Terabithia wrote: IIRC in the GTA game if you are on foot and fire at a driving cab, the driver would pull off and try to fight you bare fist...? Face With Tears Of Joy

In some of the older versions ya. That's how you're supposed to settle small differences. Unfortunately, society has regressed Crying Face
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4602 upvotes
London
Terabithia wrote: IIRC in the GTA game if you are on foot and fire at a driving cab, the driver would pull off and try to fight you bare fist...? Face With Tears Of Joy
Nope, the taxi driver backs up and runs you down

Nov 14, 2012
320 posts
157 upvotes
You are ambushed by a crook with a gun in unprovoked attack.

You pull a bigger gun (car) and aim at him. The crook starts running for his life, so you are not in immediate danger, but you are assuming that if you put your gun back into the holster, the crook will continue to attempt at your life. So you shoot anyway.

Self defense? In many countries, yes. In Canada, questionable and depending who you get as prosecutor and jury. Do this in liberal town like Toronto and jury will send you to jail for assault maybe even murder attempt. Do this is rural Sasketchewan and you wont be even charged because prosecutor will not consider it worth courts time.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43378 posts
6607 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ramon2 wrote: You are ambushed by a crook with a gun in unprovoked attack.

You pull a bigger gun (car) and aim at him. The crook starts running for his life, so you are not in immediate danger, but you are assuming that if you put your gun back into the holster, the crook will continue to attempt at your life. So you shoot anyway.

Self defense? In many countries, yes. In Canada, questionable and depending who you get as prosecutor and jury. Do this in liberal town like Toronto and jury will send you to jail for assault maybe even murder attempt. Do this is rural Sasketchewan and you wont be even charged because prosecutor will not consider it worth courts time.
How about this one.
Some pyscho shoots you in the stomach.
With all your adrenaline running... somehow you get super strength. You grab both of his arms... then rip Both his arms off. Right off the sockets CLEAN. Blood shooting everywhere.

Do you get charged with cruel and unusual assault?
Or do you get away with it because he shot you in the stomach.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10602 posts
1799 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: I was wondering what would happen if the exact same thing happened here. Hence why I referred to our justice system.
Well we're pretty much not allowed to defend ourselves anyways or we can face charges anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2755 posts
510 upvotes
Ontario
I knew a guy once, he got his house broken into. 2 of his Dobermans attacked the thief and the pos ended up in hospital.
2 of his dogs were put down.
Hows that for justice.
A friend of a friend mentioned about someone entering your home, the LEO said, if you feel your life is at risk, your better off killing them because dead ppl can't talk, if not you will go bankrupt defending yourself in court.
The keyword here is "you feel your life is at risk"
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5227 posts
1922 upvotes
Debtario
wilmaster001 wrote: This is despicable. The driver should have calmly pulled over and dialed 9/11 and waited for the police to arrive.
Self defence is not a right in Canada. If you are in danger it is your duty to remain calm and wait for the police to arrive.
wilmaster001 wrote: So the moral of the story is that in Canada , even if you are 100% justified in your self defense, there will be charges brought against you and you will be forced to defend yourself in Court against the state.

If you kill someone , no matter the circumstances you will be treated like a criminal and arrested and detained against your will.

Almost like they don't want Canadians to be able to defend themselves huh ?
Exactly. It's the Canadian way, politely bend over and take it. You are free to exercise your rights, but exercising your rights isn't free!

Severe charges get handed out like candy with the expectation it will get haggled down in court, or dropped if you spend enough money and drag it out long enough.

It seems in most cases it's better to kill the criminal, if they live they could sue in civil court and still come out ahead.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"