[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver

Self Defense Items?

Hi

With all the crazies these days you hear on the news my wife no longer feels safe walking alone even in the daytime ( the story about the guy in Surrey, BC attacking the pregnant woman really got her).

She now carries a box cutter in her pocket. I just not sure about it as if someone would check her pockets could be trouble.

I think pepper spray is illegal in Canada?

I heard about tragical lights but not sure if they are good and do they even work in the daytime?
39 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13877 posts
8943 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Self Defense - Martial Arts

Or just carry a "BEAR SPRAY", and only use it if your live is at danger.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1195 posts
615 upvotes
Wise to be safe, but bad idea to carry a box cutter for self defense.

(A) In Canada it's illegal to carry a weapon for the purpose of self-defense. And according to the Criminal Code, a weapon can be anything designed, used or intended to cause death or injury. This would even technically include pepper spray/bear spray (although perhaps less likely to be charged with anything if there are bears around -- still using it for self defense is not legal).
(B) The weapon she is carrying can be used against her.

If she wants something for protection, a very loud/compact air horn is a good answer.

Article link: https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/the-bes ... id=4404040
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6331 posts
1513 upvotes
Richmond Hill
multimut wrote: Wise to be safe, but bad idea to carry a box cutter for self defense.

(A) In Canada it's illegal to carry a weapon for the purpose of self-defense. And according to the Criminal Code, a weapon can be anything designed, used or intended to cause death or injury. This would even technically include pepper spray/bear spray (although perhaps less likely to be charged with anything if there are bears around -- still using it for self defense is not legal).

If she wants something for protection, a very loud/compact air horn is a good answer.

so even your fists can be considered a weapon if used as one
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4260 posts
1740 upvotes
multimut wrote: Wise to be safe, but bad idea to carry a box cutter for self defense.

This is my 2 cents - a box cutter is legal to buy, own, and carry (YES, carry).

But the box cutter must only be used as a tool and cannot be used with the intent to cause harm to anyone; this includes self defense. In practice, this means she can carry it in her pocket always. But if she ever uses it against a person, even to defend herself, she may be charged with 'assault with a weapon'.

However... In general it is a terrible idea because TWO reasons: it is not designed as a weapon, quite possible the blade will snap-off within seconds...

The second reason is that any and all weapons require training to be effective. Otherwise, as you said, it will be used against the OP's wife.

I would strongly suggest a self-defense class.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2036 posts
1450 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
As others have said, carrying a knife or something for the sole purpose as a self defense weapon is not the best idea. Chances are in the event of an attack, your wife would not be able use the weapon as intended. Her best defense would be to take a self defense class. They will teach basics on being aware of your surrounds and how to stay out of a scenario where you would need to defend your self and other handy techniques to get away. There are break away alarms that she could hook to her bag/purse that can be pulled relatively easily to bring attention.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3201 posts
1334 upvotes
Montreal
It's legal to carry dog spray. Anyone that goes jogging could face rabid dogs and if they happened to get assaulted on their way back home then a judge would find its use reasonable.

Just do not use it preemptively because you could get in hot water. FYI, I'm not a lawyer and this is my personal opinion based on news articles I've read of similar events.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14789 posts
4278 upvotes
Montréal
So sad it's coming to this...must be a horrible/uncomfortable feeling if one is not really competent in defending oneself. Ppl living on edge, even in Canada, that is so disappointing things are heading that way.

Besides self-defence courses, which will take a while to kick in in order to do properly, be more self-aware and of the surroundings, e.g. hang out in crowds, try to avoid being alone, trust your 6th sense, stop and double back pretending you forgot something at the store if being followed, etc. Must be some stuff online one can research.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1507 posts
2117 upvotes
A box cutter is pretty useless as a self-defense weapon. It's not going to scare anyone but the most timid 12 year old AND it can easily be taken away and used against you. If you have 20 years to practice a martial arts class might be of some help. I suggest learning how to run away would be your best option.

While the media loves a sensational story and it may seem as though this is a frequent occurrence, it's not ; at least in this country. Use common sense , be aware of your surroundings and I'm sure you'll be fine. Everyone carries a phone and if you can run for 30 seconds to a minute it's doubtful the average lunatic will want to pursue you for that long.
When you see a wall, dig a tunnel.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11595 posts
3855 upvotes
Toronto
If the attack took away her cutter, the weapon will then use to against your wife.
I believe a Bear spray or something will loud sound is enough to scare away the crazy people/animals.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Apr 5th, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3201 posts
1334 upvotes
Montreal
6060842 wrote: A box cutter is pretty useless as a self-defense weapon. It's not going to scare anyone but the most timid 12 year old AND it can easily be taken away and used against you. If you have 20 years to practice a martial arts class might be of some help. I suggest learning how to run away would be your best option.
It doesn't take 20 years to become proficient at a martial art. 2 or 3 years of BJJ/Muay Thai training will make you a better fighter than the average Joe.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1077 posts
663 upvotes
Southern Ontario
A pen knife or Keychain knife can be a tool for everyday, like opening up letters and cutting things while you are on the go... plus a safety item if you are in a car crash and need to cut a seat belt. Also a metal cased small flashlight could stop an attack with one crack to the nose or head.

Everyone has a right to self defense, even the guy in a local case that got off when he "carried a butcher knife for self defense" and stabbed the guy he was fighting with it, killing him. Found Innocent in court.

So anyone claiming to know the "Law" doesn't really know the practical aspect of it. If a Man attacks a Woman jogging and she opens up her pen knife and gives him a couple slashes, it'll be self defense. Almost any time a Woman is attacked by a Man she can be in fear for her life due to the physical differences of the sexes.

The bear spray stuff if used improperly (or a breeze going the wrong way) can hit you in the eyes as well and there goes 30 minutes washing your eyeballs and sinus' cavities out.

There are other items, like a G10 (polymer plastic) knuckles that would deter an attacker, you would have to know how to punch though. Self defense basics and knowing the pressure points would be probably the best, like the Throat, Eyes, Testicles, Knee, Nose, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1507 posts
2117 upvotes
kenze wrote: It doesn't take 20 years to become proficient at a martial art. 2 or 3 years of BJJ/Muay Thai training will make you a better fighter than the average Joe.
At least it'll make you think you're a better fighter than the average Joe.
When you see a wall, dig a tunnel.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
SusanM6112 wrote: What are tragical lights?
Tactical light. Apparently they are so bright they can blind people for a few seconds.... Not sure if it works in daytime.

As I said I don't think box cutter is a good choice and why I am looking for something better. Yes self defense courses are probably the best but not sure it will work for my wife and definitely not now since she is pregnant.

Before all the crazies came out due to covid-19 it was not so much of a problem. She would not really walk alone at night anyways... But now with all the Asian hate plus the other crazies she does not even feel safe walking by herself alone in the park.

So I am looking for something that will give her something that she can feel will protect her for the intern and figure something better later.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2606 posts
1314 upvotes
Ottawa
kenze wrote: It doesn't take 20 years to become proficient at a martial art. 2 or 3 years of BJJ/Muay Thai training will make you a better fighter than the average Joe.
And what does that do? This will help you if you are assaulted with no avenue for escape by one unarmed person. That happens but it's pretty rare. Actually all assault is pretty rare in Canada outside of bar districts at closing time.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
Awareness and walking confidently are probably the best deterrents against an attack IMO. Ppl who attack others the way they do are usually opportunists usually and they are less likely to attack someone who is alert so

> take those earbuds/headphones off so you hear your surroundings
> try to walk with someone else in pairs/groups if you can
> keep your head up and walk confidently with your keys in your hand. When you walk to your car, you're ready open and get in rather than fumbling thru a purse to find your keys.
> remember the weaknesses of ppl attacking you...eyes, nose, groin,
> don't go for a walk by yourself just for the sake of walking. [At night, wear something reflective because it's not easy to see ppl] => if you want fresh air, walk in your backyard back and forth

Seems like we're headed towards where the US is...right to bear arms?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3201 posts
1334 upvotes
Montreal
fogetmylogin wrote:
And what does that do? This will help you if you are assaulted with no avenue for escape by one unarmed person. That happens but it's pretty rare. Actually all assault is pretty rare in Canada outside of bar districts at closing time.
I don't think it's that rare in Canada. Most people are not carrying knives or guns here.

Also, you can learn basic disarm techniques against one attacker just in case. Better be prepared than assume you'll have the opportunity to run away.