• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2016 12:51 am
Apr 4, 2016
4 posts

Self Employed?


I'm new to the forums, but have been reading for a few months. Hoping someone can help me here....

I am a trades person, I work on exterior finishing. I worked for a company for many years and as this winter was quite slow I was laid off and am currently drawing ei.

The company I work for is moving away from the trade i do and focusing solely on the another form of exterior finish - they will not be taking me back.

I've been looking for work and can only seem to find jobs that are paid as piece work (per square ft), this is something I tried to avoid because I'm not comfortable with paying my own taxes, dedications, cpp, etc.

I finally found a job that pays hourly, however, after meeting with the employer I've learned that he pays per hour, but doesn't deduct anything and he issues a t5 (I could be wrong on the t) slip at the end of the year.

My questions is - since this seems to be the only work I can find, where do I even start with learning about doing my own cpp and tax deductions? I've also been looking into paying my own ei premiums and but it seems so confusing. Everything seems to say I only qualify for the 5 exceptions (maternity, parental, etc). I haven't been on ei in almost 10 years, but being able to use it this winter literally saved my house. I don't know what I would have done without access to ei...

Any help would be great, I don't even know where to begin and everything just seems so confusing to me.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2392 posts
Cpp calc can be automatically done in a tax software (pick any free one on cra list). It will be added to you tax payable

Ei you register with service Canada but I can't help you there.

In terms of correct t slip, that's responsibility of employer. They may get penalty for treating you as contractor vs employees depending on your work/relationship with that company