• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 7:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Self-employed mortgages

Any mortgage brokers here or anyone else know what line on the tax returns/Notice of Assessments lenders use to calculate income? Mine has told me both Line 101 (in the case of multiple employers) for some and Line 150 for others.

Also, if I incorporate part of my business (required for my trucking work), I was informed that Line 150 of its tax return is used. This would be a very small number after all the business deductions. Could I then pay myself dividends through it to my personal income, to get around this problem? Yes I will pay more tax, but it's better than shooting myself in the foot for financing my real estate.
Accountant (Public Practice)
5 replies
Sep 10, 2016
224 posts
42 upvotes
To my knowledge it s your net taxable income which matters. So I increased my salary in my incorporation this year specially for the mortgage.

But even my knowledge is theoretical if not practical - so please keep us posted about how it goes.

Wish you good luck
Jun 30, 2009
371 posts
216 upvotes
Talk to the broker. I've always been told it's line 150.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
santafe wrote: Talk to the broker. I've always been told it's line 150.
I've talked to 3 and heard Line 150, but for my last home purchase, I was told Line 101 as the bulk of the income was employment (though I had other income under that line). I have multiple sources of income- employment, business, rental. Apparently generally it is line 150 but sometimes they make exceptions.

As of today I am incorporated as per WCB requirement for trucking businesses. But whether I do writeoffs via myself (the employee) as an employee or a business has implications on Line 150. It's strange because employment expenses do not reduce Line 150, but business expenses do- even though things like home office and motor vehicle expenses appear under both. These are the same costs incurred to earn income, but one write-off method shoots yourself in the foot while the other does not.
Pinaki wrote: To my knowledge it s your net taxable income which matters. So I increased my salary in my incorporation this year specially for the mortgage.

But even my knowledge is theoretical if not practical - so please keep us posted about how it goes.

Wish you good luck
Thanks- that's what I'm leaning towards too. I'll have to purposely inflate my income and use writeoffs under employment expenses instead of business expenses. Sucks because I pay more tax. But what can you do.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11231 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
FirstGear wrote: Any mortgage brokers here or anyone else know what line on the tax returns/Notice of Assessments lenders use to calculate income? Mine has told me both Line 101 (in the case of multiple employers) for some and Line 150 for others.

Also, if I incorporate part of my business (required for my trucking work), I was informed that Line 150 of its tax return is used. This would be a very small number after all the business deductions. Could I then pay myself dividends through it to my personal income, to get around this problem? Yes I will pay more tax, but it's better than shooting myself in the foot for financing my real estate.
For sole proprietorships:

NET business income for AAA rates.

Up to GROSS business income with a small rate premium.

For corporations:

Employment income for AAA rates.

Up to gross revenue on corporate financial statements with a small rate premium.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Penalty Box
Jan 13, 2017
456 posts
367 upvotes
also heard if you have more than 50% downpay, some will approve you with "stated income".
the more downpay the better chance you will get it approved.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)