• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 11:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
509 posts
288 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario

Self-Propelled Lawnmower

I'm looking to buy a self-propelled lawnmower and am pretty clueless. I've been told to look into Toro and it should be in the $500 range. I do see Honda has a lawnmower with similar details for $450. Is there a difference in brand? I have no problem spending the extra $50 if it means a better quality.
Life and Health Insurance Agent.
Licensed with 8 companies, access to nearly a dozen more.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
I have Toro now. I had various brands before (i.e. Craftsman). They all last a long time when maintained properly (oil change, spark plug, filter, etc).
It all comes down to the owner.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8712 posts
5643 upvotes
Kootenays
If you can by a Honda for $450 and it has the features you want, buy it. You can't go wrong with a Honda mower.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
509 posts
288 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
Perfect, thanks for the input.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9007 posts
10283 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Not likely to get an official Honda self propelled for C$450. Might be some other brands chassis with a Honda engine.

MSRP in C$ on their cheapest self propelled is $699. Their mowers are second to none. Workhorses.

A nice feature to have is a blade stop system if you spend some extra $.

https://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawn-mo ... ential-hrx
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
509 posts
288 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
cartfan123 wrote: Not likely to get an official Honda self propelled for C$450. Might be some other brands chassis with a Honda engine.

MSRP in C$ on their cheapest self propelled is $699. Their mowers are second to none. Workhorses.

A nice feature to have is a blade stop system if you spend some extra $.

https://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawn-mo ... ential-hrx
Yes you're right, I didn't notice that before "powered by". The lawnmowers I saw were "Troy-Bilt". Doesn't appear to be any Honda lawnmowers in the ads I was looking through and no dealerships in the Windsor area.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2521 posts
906 upvotes
Mississauga
It was crazy last time I went to Honda power equipement dealer to see their mowers... their invoice charge a PDI and admin fee .. but enthusiastically said they do free deliver and will show you how to use it.

I though I was buying a mower not a car !!
Feb 4, 2017
266 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
I have this mower. Bought it last year, no regrets.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
509 posts
288 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
I've been using the same lawnmower for a long time and it was a hand me down lol. This is my first time buying a lawnmower. I couldn't believe the prices when I first started looking at them. I'm glad to hear they last a long time at least.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1103 posts
403 upvotes
Mississauga
Keep in mind not all self propelled are the same, there are generally three types, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and all wheel drive. Also keep in mind not all engage the self propelled the same way, I personally love the Toro, but don't like how the self propelled engage, in that you have to slide a lever down, which tends to be activated while walking. The idea is the faster you walk, the more you slide the lever down. I have the Husqvarna which has two levers, the more you squeeze either lever the faster, it goes. I prefer this type as it's easier to engage. Also keep in mind that you need horsepower to help propel the lawnmower. I prefer one that has a higher hp rating
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1370 posts
1479 upvotes
West GTA
Honda is the best brand if you can afford the premium. They're very rugged if you maintain them. Toro is also a good brand, not quite Honda but you're buying a solid mower. Check their engines - they use Honda engines, but not always. if you can, get a Honda engine. The rest of the mower is usually pretty simple - a driveshaft to a spinning blade, an adjustable height setting (some use one lever to adjust, some make you do all four wheels, either way it's trivial), and there's a belt that goes from the engine to the wheels, either front wheel, back wheel or both. Get an AWD if you have very hilly property.

A lot of people like the Toro self-propelled system that uses a lever you push on - the harder you push the faster it goes, and it's very intuitive. The Honda uses paddles that you rest your hands on, which are nearly as good but not quite as good as Toro.

Always use premium fuel since you don't want ethanol in the lines, use fuel stabilizer, and change the oil regularly. Sharpen the blades every couple of months - dull blades don't cut well and tear grass, leaving it with ugly brown tips and prone to disease.

Oh and get a mower that's good at mulching - the Toro Super Recycler is one - you should mostly be mulching your grass since it's easier and you let the diced up clippings turn into dirt to feed your plants.
May 21, 2015
911 posts
444 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I had a smaller Toro years ago which was a really good mower, when we moved back to Ontario I gave it to my neighbor. I bought a Lawnboy self propelled with a Honda engine 13 years ago and it's been really good, never a problem, it moves forward as you walk/press on the handle, I like the system, no buttons or levers . But best of all I like its bagging system. If you use the bag you don't have to bend down and lift up any covers over the rear discharge port, just drop the bag from a standing position pretty much,, However if you want to mulch you have to put the plug into the opening,, which isn't a big deal,, Not sure if they still use the design or not. My neighbor bought a new Honda a couple of years ago and it's a good mower as well, but I don't like the little thumb controlled toggle switch in the center of the handle to operate the self propelling feature,, it's awkward in tight spaces. And removing and putting the bag back onto the mower isn't near as easy as mine because of that flip up spring loaded cover.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2639 posts
449 upvotes
we have a honda engine lawnmower, forgot the name of chasis, but man, the honda engine is so easy to start with the smart choke, always one pull to start. We didn't even change the oil/spark plug for 10 years and its always fire up fine, we finally changed the oil/spark plug 3 years ago and still fire up everytime, going forward I will probably change oil/spark plug every 5 years.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
BDSL wrote: I have Toro now. I had various brands before (i.e. Craftsman). They all last a long time when maintained properly (oil change, spark plug, filter, etc).
It all comes down to the owner.
True this. I have a briggs and stratton self propel....going on year 12. And i don t maintain it. I just run the gas empty before it goes into shed for winter.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
We have a Lawnboy rear wheel drive. My dad has a Sears Craftsman front wheel drive. Trust me, front wheel drive is a royal pain in the ass to use.