• Oct 13th, 2019 9:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
443 posts
568 upvotes
Paris

Self-Serve Checkouts with surveys afterwards

We each have our own experiences with those self-serve checkouts popping up everywhere we shop.
Shoppers Drug Mart cash only cashier and the ballyhoo when they popped up.
I was at a Canadiantire and wanted to pay with cash. All the "regular" front registers were converted to "debit/credit card" self checkouts. I was directed to the automotive cashier which is the only one accepting cash payment.
But I digress...
I was at Home Depot this morning and there was only one cashier lane open. So I went to the self checkout and waited in line since the customers had issues with scanning etc and only one staff was running back and forth to help resolve. Noticed after helping the customers with their transactions, a survey pops on the screen with five blank stars to rate the service. The cashier was tapping the 5 stars for each customer. What a farce. Did anyone else have that experience?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29344 posts
14847 upvotes
IslandTourGuide wrote: The cashier was tapping the 5 stars for each customer. What a farce.
If it's a rating for self checkouts I'm surprised they're not tapping 1 star so they get more real cashiers.
If it's for overall store experience 5 stars makes sense though. Heads will roll if you don't get 5 stars.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1669 posts
417 upvotes
Vancouver
Saw it today for the first time when I self checked out at Home Depot and i’m Pretty sure it was for rating my transaction. It’s a much better way of getting feedback from customers that they wouldn’t have gotten otherwise because it’s so simple and takes a second or less. The cashiers probably assume it’s a store raring so they tap 5 stars. It’s the same with airport bathrooms around the world where when you leave, you can tap happy or sad for bathroom cleanliness which is very effective in itself because they can send someone in quite quickly to correct the cleanliness issue.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
443 posts
568 upvotes
Paris
The survey is for the customer to complete with a "tap" on the stars, but the cashier helping those customers taps the 5 stars as soon as it pops up - before the customer even realises what's happening. I tapped the 1 star. :-)