None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2539 posts
1046 upvotes
Quebec

Sell me Amazon Prime

Ok so the question is simple, Amazon Prime cost 90$ per year (with lolQC taxes)

I want someone to sell it to me in the sense as, convince me of buying it. I know the Prime is suppose to be a free 2 days shipping. but how accurate is that.

Is it possible for Videogames to have a release date delivery with amazon prime in Canada (Quebec)

I love playing games Day1 and i have the FFXV preordered for 59$, but the 4-8 days delivery bug me alot.

So Prime users do you think Prime is worth the 90$/year (I know it's probably worth it if i order alot because I save money at the end on shipping) but quality wise

Thanks
27 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18850 posts
6893 upvotes
Toronto
I am not a Prime member but I say it really depends on how much you order and how long you can wait for shipments. What is your yearly spend on Amazon.ca per year?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2539 posts
1046 upvotes
Quebec
carmaster wrote: I am not a Prime member but I say it really depends on how much you order and how long you can wait for shipments. What is your yearly spend on Amazon.ca per year?
atm 0$ because I don't like waiting, if i want something i just go to the store
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18850 posts
6893 upvotes
Toronto
ratatapa wrote: atm 0$ because I don't like waiting, if i want something i just go to the store
What is your anticipated yearly $ spend at Amazon? Would you buy an item over Amazon vs. the store assuming either the same price or a small discount?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2539 posts
1046 upvotes
Quebec
carmaster wrote: What is your anticipated yearly $ spend at Amazon? Would you buy an item over Amazon vs. the store assuming either the same price or a small discount?
No idea of my anticipated, I buy what i need and when i need

as for question 2

If Amazon price is cheaper yes i would buy on amazon vs the store
If the price is the same, depends the urgency of the item, if i need something NOW i'll go to the store, if i can wait 1-2 days i'd use amazon
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18850 posts
6893 upvotes
Toronto
I would say not worth it for you. Remember that anything over $25 prime eligible is already free shipping and generally arrives in a few days anyways. I find that Amazon prices are not the best.
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
I'm a prime member. I usually make 1-2 purchases a month of necessity. Household items, dog supplies, etc. I don't like to wait, so the 2 day shipping is good. If there's anything else I want to buy it's nice to know it'll arrive in 2 days. On top of that, i'm not forced to buy more than I want/need to hit a free shipping threshold. I am free to shop as I want.

As for the price, it's not that bad, when you consider they will offer you 1 month of free prime service for every missed delivery in the 2 day window (and that does happen regularly), up to 10 extra months. So essentially you can get 22 months for that $90-100.

And finally, $90-100 isn't that much, especially if you're going to be using the service on a regular.
Jun 12, 2010
668 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto/Santa Monica
Student prime member here. I pay $45. Certain items from Mississauga Ontario ship same time as prime so for torontonians it's the same. For Quebec not sure
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1254 posts
638 upvotes
Not worth it. The prices on Amazon.ca are usually not that great and in Canada you don't get Prime Video etc.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19279 posts
1771 upvotes
I can probably sell you the US version of Amazon Prime, but the Canadian version is a ripoff.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10359 posts
3198 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I keep waiting for Amazon to do something to make Prime worth the cost in Canada.

I shop at Amazon a lot. More than any other store except for groceries. But there are few things I buy that I don't plan to need in two days. In fact, out of thousands of dollars in purchases, I have always opted for free shipping.

If they added video streaming, maybe. If they offered free audio streaming, maybe. If they added unlimited Kindle, probably. But with just free two-day shipping, (add yes, photo storage and "early access" to lightning deals), I don't see the value at $80+.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20124 posts
4665 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
IMO the biggest benefit of Amazon Prime is that you can get free shipping for all orders shipped from Amazon's warehouse, regardless of the amount. No need to wait until you have a laundry list of items to exceed the free shipping minimums.
- casual gastronomist -
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
MexiCanuck wrote: I keep waiting for Amazon to do something to make Prime worth the cost in Canada.

I shop at Amazon a lot. More than any other store except for groceries. But there are few things I buy that I don't plan to need in two days. In fact, out of thousands of dollars in purchases, I have always opted for free shipping.

If they added video streaming, maybe. If they offered free audio streaming, maybe. If they added unlimited Kindle, probably. But with just free two-day shipping, (add yes, photo storage and "early access" to lightning deals), I don't see the value at $80+.
I challenge you to do what I did. Calculate over 6 months how many "filler" items you purchased, or something you didn't really need, but bought to give you free shipping. I was doing this a lot.

"I don't really need sharpie markers, but i'll take them and they'll give me free shipping".
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10359 posts
3198 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
TagYoureIt wrote: I challenge you to do what I did. Calculate over 6 months how many "filler" items you purchased, or something you didn't really need, but bought to give you free shipping. I was doing this a lot.
I took the challenge.

I hsd 46 orders in the past six months.

Most of my orders were for one or two items that totaled over $25.

One include three Mylar emergency blanket filler items. I drive about 4,500 km/month, mostly highway driving on Vancouver Island. I should probably bought them earlier.

One order included a flour dredger filler item. I do a fair bit of baking, so I probably should have had a dredger for a while.

I thunk I'm doingmOJ for filler items.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2829 posts
2134 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ratatapa wrote: Ok so the question is simple, Amazon Prime cost 90$ per year (with lolQC taxes)

I want someone to sell it to me in the sense as, convince me of buying it. I know the Prime is suppose to be a free 2 days shipping. but how accurate is that...

So Prime users do you think Prime is worth the 90$/year (I know it's probably worth it if i order alot because I save money at the end on shipping) but quality wise.
This is like saying "make me like peanut butter". Some people love it, some people hate it, some people think it's "meh". What are you gonna do if you get convinced that it's worth it, then after a year decide it wasn't? Complain that people told you it was great, and it sucked? :)

If you want someone to discuss the benefits of Amazon Prime as it pertains to you, why not pick up the phone and call Amazon? They'll surely tell you the benefits and you can decide based on your shopping and shipping requirements, and even your location (since that makes a difference too).

Different people will have different experiences (look at any thread about Costco) so you're better off just looking at what's included and deciding whether it would be worth it based on your own experiences. As for the day 1 game shipping, that would be something Amazon could answer too. Good luck.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
MexiCanuck wrote: I took the challenge.

I hsd 46 orders in the past six months.

Most of my orders were for one or two items that totaled over $25.

One include three Mylar emergency blanket filler items. I drive about 4,500 km/month, mostly highway driving on Vancouver Island. I should probably bought them earlier.

One order included a flour dredger filler item. I do a fair bit of baking, so I probably should have had a dredger for a while.

I thunk I'm doingmOJ for filler items.
Well then, if you're happy with that, stick with what you're doing. I feel like $100 a year isn't that much to pay if i'm getting faster service for an average of 100 orders a year. Keeping in mind at least 10 of those will be late/have a problem and you're extending your prime membership even longer, it's a no brainer.

But that's just me, i'm not cheap (i'm frugal)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33710 posts
7354 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I don't think it is necessary. When I order, it arrives in 2 days, sometimes the next day if you order early enough

Don't look at annual spend. Look at spend per transaction. If you do a lot of small transactions under $25 then Prime maybe a good option. Especially if you do over 100 transactions per year. Saves you from buying useless filler items
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
carmaster wrote: What is your anticipated yearly $ spend at Amazon? Would you buy an item over Amazon vs. the store assuming either the same price or a small discount?
This is the most important question.

For someone like me, I'm averaging something like $0.40/order for 2 day.
This obviously changes a bit since I do sometimes pay for next day ($4/item) and same day ($7/order).
But I make hundreds of orders a year. My peak was 120 orders in 6 months which works out to an order every single business day for the entire time.

If your order volume is lower (let's say one or two a month) then each shipment costs you quite a bit more.

For me, the convenience of not having to:
-put on pants
-drive to the store
-realize they're out of stock
-drive to a 2nd store
-find the product
-not find the product
-find an associate
-find a different associate that also knows how to put on pants
-have them find the product
-have them also fail to find a product
-find a 3rd associate
-have them find the product in a really stupid location
-find my car in the parking lot
-drive home

is FAR less convenient than placing an order on Amazon, selecting same day shipping and wait for the order to show up.
.ca is getting MUCH better in terms of inventory. It's only like 1% of the US but every single day I'm surprised at what I can find on there.
Nowadays the first place I look for anything is Amazon. If it's not available then I'll look elsewhere.

I've renewed Canada prime a few times and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
3927 posts
1509 upvotes
Ottawa
TagYoureIt wrote: I'm a prime member. I usually make 1-2 purchases a month of necessity. Household items, dog supplies, etc. I don't like to wait, so the 2 day shipping is good. If there's anything else I want to buy it's nice to know it'll arrive in 2 days. On top of that, i'm not forced to buy more than I want/need to hit a free shipping threshold. I am free to shop as I want.

As for the price, it's not that bad, when you consider they will offer you 1 month of free prime service for every missed delivery in the 2 day window (and that does happen regularly), up to 10 extra months. So essentially you can get 22 months for that $90-100.

And finally, $90-100 isn't that much, especially if you're going to be using the service on a regular.
Where does it say that they do this? And is it done automatically or do you have to talk to a CS rep?
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
john.canad wrote: Where does it say that they do this? And is it done automatically or do you have to talk to a CS rep?
Every time something I order doesn't come in the 2 day window, I contact them after it's been delivered & I tell them via email/chat that I am paying for 2 day service & they didn't do their job. They apologize & if it's cheap item offer me 10% back on each item that arrived late, or 1 month of free prime. On more expensive items they just offer me 1 month of free prime. After I agree, they send me an email thing I have to click to "accept" the offer, and in the email it says that I am willing to end this inquiry now with the agreement of 1 free month (maximum up to 10 free months).

It's amusing that my local post office NEVER deliver all their parcels on Monday. They deliver the left overs from Friday that couldn't make it, and since Monday's actual shipment come in late, they don't make it. So a lot of times I try and plan my orders on a Thursday so they arrive on a Monday at the station, and then Tuesday at my door. It works out well for me.