• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 7:17 am
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3203 posts
477 upvotes
Markham

Sell my stocks while being assigned - need answer quick

My call was in the money Friday so it will be assigned. But I still can sell the assigned stocks. What happened if I sold my stocks while the whole assignment is in transit?

Would the bank take cash equivalent of the strike price of my call?
or
Would it take my cash, repurchase the shares?

Even worse, would I get into any trouble for this?

TIA.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
If you don't have margin, if you try to sell it should stop you because the shares are tied up with the covered call.

If you have margin and don't have the shares to sell, then the broker will short sell 100 shares for you. You then have to go buy 100 shares at market to cover your short.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3203 posts
477 upvotes
Markham
That's the thing. It's a RRSP account so no margin allowed. It stop me from selling another covered call but not selling the actual stocks.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
dec12 wrote: That's the thing. It's a RRSP account so no margin allowed. It stop me from selling another covered call but not selling the actual stocks.
Are you sure? Did you actually go ahead and sell them or are you just asking what would happen?

It might look like you can sell them but what should happen is the order should get rejected if you actually place it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Rhaegar wrote: It might look like you can sell them but what should happen is the order should get rejected if you actually place it.
this is expected behavior, anything else is a bug
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3203 posts
477 upvotes
Markham
The order was not rejected. It wasn't executed because the bottom fell out.

A covered call order was rejected.
A regular sell order was not rejected.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2019
1150 posts
1585 upvotes
Vancouver
Since this is RRSP, your broker has a right to play it safe and not allow using unsettled cash/stock at all. CIBC Investor's Edge had a recent change when one cannot even buy stocks with recent (unsettled) proceeds from another sale, except margin accounts. Don't take your chances. You shouldn't try this unless you clarified your broker allows it; their system checks may or may not match the official rules.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3203 posts
477 upvotes
Markham
Thanks for all the replies.

The Friday assignment finally cleared from my account this morning. It seems that the shares were sold and assigned on Friday! Basically, I had 100 ghost shares on my account.

My sell order was not rejected but didn't execute because it didn't hit the price limit. Had it went through, I would've have shorted a stock in an RRSP account!