• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2020 3:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2020
1 posts

Is this seller a scam?

This morning I decided to buy a copy of Windows 10, from a seller called Bravo Mirete ES on Amazon. I chose them because their price ($90) was a lot better than the rest ($120-140), and the product was shipped by Amazon.
A few hours later I started to get a bit suspicious about the price, so I went back to check the item, only to find out that it's not on Amazon anymore. I can see it in my order history, but when I click on it, it sends me to a "Sorry we couldn't fetch that page". I checked on the seller, and could not find anything else on them, other than their Amazon page, which now doesn't sell anything. They have few 5 star reviews, with (very) generic messages from June, and a single bad review (from 3 days ago) which said that the Windows 10 copy arrived on time, but that the activation code didn't work because "...had been flagged as illegitimate as it had been used too many times."
At this point, I started to strongly believe that this is a scam, so I went to cancel my order, only to receive an email from Amazon saying that they cannot cancel it, even though the item has not been shipped yet.
So my question is, should I receive the item, open it, and hope that the key works, or should I refuse and return the item to sender, and then ask for a refund?
8 replies
Oct 9, 2006
651 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
Contact Amazon Customer Service.

Login to Amazon.
Click on “hamburger” menu (three horizontal lines)
Click on “Customer Service”
Click on “Contact Us”
Click on “Call Customer Service”
Keep going and eventually you will get to “Contact us Now”
They will call you back.
May 13, 2007
187 posts
85 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
Nevyn wrote: Contact Amazon Customer Service.

Login to Amazon.
Click on “hamburger” menu (three horizontal lines)
Click on “Customer Service”
Click on “Contact Us”
Click on “Call Customer Service”
Keep going and eventually you will get to “Contact us Now”
They will call you back.
This is not a valid path for me ... there is no “Customer Service” from the 3 bar menu list
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13971 upvotes
My money says it's a scam.
Shipped by Amazon doesn't mean crap. It's being sold by a 3rd party and Amazon only does fulfillment.

Luckily Amazon's CS is pretty good so you'll most likely get your money back.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3118 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: My money says it's a scam.
Shipped by Amazon doesn't mean crap. It's being sold by a 3rd party and Amazon only does fulfillment.

Luckily Amazon's CS is pretty good so you'll most likely get your money back.
To say nothing about the legality of using whatever MSDN/out-of-market/whatever key that would have been provided anyways for that price...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13971 upvotes
trane0 wrote: To say nothing about the legality of using whatever MSDN/out-of-market/whatever key that would have been provided anyways for that price...
For $90 it could very well be legit.
It probably isn't and is most likely MSDN, but since they're shipping something there could be a chance they ship an actual COA.
Or a poorly printed one that matches an MSDN key lol.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3118 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: For $90 it could very well be legit.
It probably isn't and is most likely MSDN, but since they're shipping something there could be a chance they ship an actual COA.
Or a poorly printed one that matches an MSDN key lol.
I thought the price for a legit OEM/Retail key is always the same as what MSFT charges, regardless of who the vendor is?

For $90 they're probably re-selling $5 ebay keys with a niiiice margin.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7646 posts
4561 upvotes
Mississauga
OP hasn’t been back...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13971 upvotes
trane0 wrote: I thought the price for a legit OEM/Retail key is always the same as what MSFT charges, regardless of who the vendor is?

For $90 they're probably re-selling $5 ebay keys with a niiiice margin.
It could be someone selling a retail version used or even brand new but unused at a discount to "get rid" of it.
OP doesn't mention if it's home or pro either. If it's Pro, it could even be that perfectly legit one that PC World had for $50-60 but with a nice markup too.

But let's face it: Occam's razor.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)