[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1018 posts
441 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Selling a car and keeping the custom plate

Hello RFD'ers,

I am in final process of selling my car and have a question about my custom plate.

If I keep the plate, I am assuming still need to renew the sticker every year in order to avoid the plate combination being taken over by someone else.

i.e. if I do not pay the sticker fee, I still can have the plate with me but the combination is returned back to MTO database for future use?
Last edited by kooroshkabir on Sep 2nd, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
No. Keep plate and plate portion of ownership. When ready to use, take both in and have re-attached to vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5790 posts
5096 upvotes
Ottawa
kooroshkabir wrote: Hello RFD'ers,

I am in final process of selling my car and have a question about my custom plate.

If I keep the plate, I am assuming still need to renew the sticker every year in order to avoid the plate combination being taken over by someone else.

i.e. if I do not pay the sticker fee, I still can have the plate with me but the combination is returned back to MTO database for future use?
Honestly I can't see them printing previously used plates to give to someone else, that would create a large level of risk and doesn't pass the common sense filter on me.
I've just kept the plate portion and ownership, personally, and will reuse if required (but most likely not reused now).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1018 posts
441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
KevinM56081 wrote: No. Keep plate and plate portion of ownership. When ready to use, take both in and have re-attached to vehicle.
Thank you.

If I do not want a refund of my sticker (which is very little as i am close to my birthday), I guess no need to visit MTO either?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1263 posts
133 upvotes
Beamsville
kooroshkabir wrote: Thank you.

If I do not want a refund of my sticker (which is very little as i am close to my birthday), I guess no need to visit MTO either?
you might want to call or visit just so they know the car is no longer in your name.