Automotive

Selling a car to person out of province.

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2021 8:50 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

Selling a car to person out of province.

I got a buyer that is buying my car in Vancouver.He is having someone in GTA come and pay for it .Would you see any issue having the UVIP not being signed by the Vancouver buyer?.SInce the person picking it up is not going to be the owner.Cash deal so not worry about not getting paid.
15 replies
Sep 25, 2018
969 posts
1987 upvotes
It could be a scam. I had someone from AB doing the same when I tried to sell my car. Before we were about to meet I didn't want to take any risk so I told them car was sold.

Ask yourself this question: is the car you are selling so rare, that the buyer absolutely cannot find it in BC; or is your price so low, that after shipping to BC, the total cost is still much lower than if they bought in BC? If the answer is no to both, you are just selling an average RFD car at a faire price, such as a beige corolla, then this seller is up to something.

If you had to meet them, make sure to meet at a public place with some company. Don't end up being a murder victim. Remember Millard?

Also, who is, and when will they, register the car under the buyer's name? Cause from my experience browsing RFD, until they register it, the car will still be under your name, and any parking tickets, towing fees, or any criminal activities done with the car will go back to you.
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True? H = is it Helpful? I = is it Inspiring? N = is it Necessary? K = is it Kind?
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
Having said that, due to shortage of cars, a lot of people are buying out of province if they are looking for a specific model. I just bought my car from Alberta as I was having difficulty finding one here in BC.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Actually hes paying cash and sold as -is.Yes my car is some what rare.Anyways I called service ontario and the person mentioned just to have less worries about registration of ownership I should go there and report its been sold. The buyer does not need to sign it on the spot but ask me to date the purchase.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
gizmo8 wrote: I got a buyer that is buying my car in Vancouver.He is having someone in GTA come and pay for it .Would you see any issue having the UVIP not being signed by the Vancouver buyer?.SInce the person picking it up is not going to be the owner.Cash deal so not worry about not getting paid.
If it’s a significant amount you could always meet at the bank branch and have them count, verify, and deposit the funds for peace of mind prior to signing over the registration.
Aug 18, 2014
130 posts
116 upvotes
Calgary, AB
gizmo8 wrote: I got a buyer that is buying my car in Vancouver.He is having someone in GTA come and pay for it .Would you see any issue having the UVIP not being signed by the Vancouver buyer?.SInce the person picking it up is not going to be the owner.Cash deal so not worry about not getting paid.
make sure the cash is legit and sign the bill of sale and there would be no problem.

all you need is your money and what the buyer does with the car doesn't matter
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You don't happen to be selling an Acura NSX are you? ;)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Every enthusiast car is being bought up like crazy in BC. The fear of having compounded double luxury taxes. A lot of our cars are being exported out as well due to ease of access to ports and to US.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
bomber17 wrote: You don't happen to be selling an Acura NSX are you? ;)
no...yes its true older moddable cars are pretty desirable these days due to shortage of car parts and decent used cars.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
I know a guy selling a red one in Southern Ontario if someone's interested.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
If something leads to another and they ask for small transport deposit/taxi fare/pay for lunch/gift card from walmart, run away
Aug 5, 2007
551 posts
498 upvotes
coworkers brother just sold his for $250k+ usd on bringatrailer. he didnt pay anywhere near that much brand new
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
fromage wrote: coworkers brother just sold his for $250k+ usd on bringatrailer. he didnt pay anywhere near that much brand new
link? what kind of NSX is worth that much? Only thing I can think of is that maybe 3rd gen are appreciating.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)