Selling a financed CX5

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 2:00 pm
Tags:
Nov 12, 2010
65 posts
13 upvotes

Selling a financed CX5

Hi all. I need some car buying help. I currently own a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 (47k mileage). I am currently financing it and have about $24k left on the loan. The final payment is due in 2020. I dont mind buying a used vehicle. My requirements are as below:
- SUV
- AWD/FWD (no prefernce)
- Rear vents
- Navigation
- Blind Spot/Cross traffic monitoring

All suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by nexxus007 on Jun 11th, 2021 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
44 replies
Jun 1, 2017
226 posts
144 upvotes
nexxus007 wrote: Hi all. I need some car buying help. I currently own a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 (47k mileage). I am currently financing it and have about $24k left on the loan. The final payment is due in 2020. I am in the market to replace the CX5 with an SUV that does has rear air vents. I dont mind buying a used vehicle. My requirements are as below:
- SUV
- AWD/FWD (no prefernce)
- Rear vents
- Navigation
- Blind Spot/Cross traffic monitoring

All suggestions are welcome.

Nissan rogue SV (I have seen SV trim with factory navigation) trim or higher has all the features. Base model has all features minus navigation and blind spot but unless you buy a 2018 base model ( which has cross traffic and blind spot) you will have to buy an SV or SL and prices are down on rogues because people seem to only love RAV4s or CRVs .

2015-2016 fully loaded rogue is about 22-25k depending on kms. I have seen 2016 rogues fully loaded with 40k go for 22k.

Personally I really like the adjustable rear seats, fuel economy and massive trunk space. Of course it does have rear air vents that do work wonders.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
crack the rear windows...save yourself thousands.

Seems like a silly reason to move on from a car.
Nov 12, 2010
65 posts
13 upvotes
Swerny wrote: crack the rear windows...save yourself thousands.

Seems like a silly reason to move on from a car.
I can decide to move on from a car even if i dont like the shape of a knob. Its my choice and you are no one to judge me or others on their choices. Grow up.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sound's like a terrible idea. You will be upside down on the loan, ignore what the asking prices on trader.ca are as what they sell for and asking are not mutually exclusive.
Nov 12, 2010
65 posts
13 upvotes
NoPistons wrote: Nissan rogue SV (I have seen SV trim with factory navigation) trim or higher has all the features. Base model has all features minus navigation and blind spot but unless you buy a 2018 base model ( which has cross traffic and blind spot) you will have to buy an SV or SL and prices are down on rogues because people seem to only love RAV4s or CRVs .

2015-2016 fully loaded rogue is about 22-25k depending on kms. I have seen 2016 rogues fully loaded with 40k go for 22k.

Personally I really like the adjustable rear seats, fuel economy and massive trunk space. Of course it does have rear air vents that do work wonders.
Thanks for that! Question though. How does selling a car on loan work?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5520 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
The car has a lien on it. If you opt to sell it privately, you will need to purchase a UVIP which will also show that there is a lien. You have two options:

1) Find a buyer, then go with them to the bank and pay off the loan using the proceeds of the sale and provide a loan discharge letter to the buyer. Note that it usually takes a few business days for the MTO's files to be updated and show that the lien is gone.
2) Use a LOC to pay off the loan, wait a few days, then purchase the UVIP where it will show there is no lien. Sell the car, then use the proceeds to pay off the LOC.

If you're looking to trade it in to a dealer, then they can assist with everything.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
nexxus007 wrote: I can decide to move on from a car even if i dont like the shape of a knob. Its my choice and you are no one to judge me or others on their choices. Grow up.
No kidding, it's your money after all....doesn't make it any less silly as being upside down on the loan is no joke

Grow up? Seriously?

Good luck in your search
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3132 posts
1307 upvotes
nexxus007 wrote: Thanks for that! Question though. How does selling a car on loan work?
No problem, just empty your bank (since it's a Mazda on financing). :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
I'd give ya $18k for it.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
If it is a GS, then probably $20K is the fair value now
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: If it is a GS, then probably $20K is the fair value now
I'm trying to get a deal. Bugger off with truths and fair values. OP needs to ditch $24k car cause no rear vents. This should be easy if you don't intervene.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
OP asking and getting is different story ... all comes down to the urgency of selling it. Winking Face
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$18,001

That's my best offer. There's probably rust already.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
booblehead wrote: OP asking and getting is different story ... all comes down to the urgency of selling it. Winking Face
Well there's no rear vents so it's not urgent, it's an emergency!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
OP... you'll have to pay off the loan and have the vehicle lien free before you can sell it privately. So pay off the $24k loan to the bank, then sell the car to some one for $20k and then go buy yourself another car. Or you can trade it in to a dealer where you purchase your new car and they can handle the pay off but your gonna lose a little more on the value of the trade, although you do save the tax so you may want to do the calculation and see if its worth going the private route vs just trading it in.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
peelhic wrote: OP... you'll have to pay off the loan and have the vehicle lien free before you can sell it privately. So pay off the $24k loan to the bank, then sell the car to some one for $20k and then go buy yourself another car. Or you can trade it in to a dealer where you purchase your new car and they can handle the pay off but your gonna lose a little more on the value of the trade, although you do save the tax so you may want to do the calculation and see if its worth going the private route vs just trading it in.
In ON, you can sell a vehicle with a lien on it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6581 posts
1748 upvotes
rural ontario
vkizzle wrote: In ON, you can sell a vehicle with a lien on it.
how does that work. if you sell privately vs trade in? does the person buying/taking in the vehicle inherit the loan/lien?

so if you have say $10K lien and sell the vehicle for $10K, the buyer knows that they really are paying $20K for it?
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
rilles wrote: how does that work. if you sell privately vs trade in? does the person buying/taking in the vehicle inherit the loan/lien?

so if you have say $10K lien and sell the vehicle for $10K, the buyer knows that they really are paying $20K for it?
No, you would take the seller to the bank to pay off all of outstanding amount.