Shopping Discussion

Selling an item to US buyer: Safest method of payment?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 8:03 pm
Aug 16, 2015
387 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto

Selling an item to US buyer: Safest method of payment?

What would be the safest and surest way to be paid by an American buyer? I don’t know this person but they’re reputable from online feedback. Regardless, is still like to be paid. Item value is under 1000$ CAD.

I’m assuming EMT but I’m not sure how that all works coming from the US.
10 replies
Aug 16, 2015
387 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
I’m hearing Fedex collect on delivery is the safest? PayPal is a headache. I’ve been down that road and hope to never go down it again.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Paypal ... Using the Friends and Family option.

Request the funds in USD to get more. Americans don't check.

Also, why using the Friends and Family option? If you use the regular one for Goods and Services, the receiver can always comeback within 6 months to request a refund (which most of the time PayPal will honour). Pain in the rear to go back and forth on that.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
TheSandman1 wrote: I’m hearing Fedex collect on delivery is the safest? PayPal is a headache. I’ve been down that road and hope to never go down it again.
My 2 cents...if your debating between Paypal and Fedex then go w/ the one with less fees and better exchange rate.
Headache or not, it's your money at the end of the day.
Dec 15, 2015
706 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
jdmfishingonly wrote: Paypal ... Using the Friends and Family option.

Request the funds in USD to get more. Americans don't check.

Also, why using the Friends and Family option? If you use the regular one for Goods and Services, the receiver can always comeback within 6 months to request a refund (which most of the time PayPal will honour). Pain in the rear to go back and forth on that.
Yes, listen to this guy and try to scam your customer because he thinks American's are stupid. There is 0 back and forth when you don't try to screw your customer off the bat...

If you fully trust the person, EMT, but it leaves the customer vulnerable, and most won't go for it. There is literally 0 risk for you, assuming you send the package.

To protect yourself and the customer use PayPal business or Stripe and use a discount shipper (chitchats/stallionexpress) with full insurance to ship it. Only ship to the address listed on the payment method. - I run 2 online stores and have a 1 PayPal issue on my nearly thousand orders. Took me 15 mins to deal with and was it taken care of.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
TheMaterial wrote: Yes, listen to this guy and try to scam your customer because he thinks American's are stupid. There is 0 back and forth when you don't try to screw your customer off the bat...

If you fully trust the person, EMT, but it leaves the customer vulnerable, and most won't go for it. There is literally 0 risk for you, assuming you send the package.

To protect yourself and the customer use PayPal business or Stripe and use a discount shipper (chitchats/stallionexpress) with full insurance to ship it. Only ship to the address listed on the payment method. - I run 2 online stores and have a 1 PayPal issue on my nearly thousand orders. Took me 15 mins to deal with and was it taken care of.
Americans cannot EMT to a Canadian bank.

PayPal. Even with shipping and insurance ... pure waste of time when an American claims he/she did not receive the item. It has happened to me various times ... so I don't ship unless they send payment using the "Friends and Family" option.

Besides, I have had Americans send me US funds for items which were in CAD funds. Accepted the payment.

Unfortunately, US Funds is the first option that comes up when you request money. OOOOPS! I made a mistake. If the sender of the funds caught it ... just apologize and resend in CAD funds. Simple.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Dec 15, 2015
706 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
jdmfishingonly wrote: Americans cannot EMT to a Canadian bank.

PayPal. Even with shipping and insurance ... pure waste of time when an American claims he/she did not receive the item. It has happened to me various times ... so I don't ship unless they send payment using the "Friends and Family" option.

Besides, I have had Americans send me US funds for items which were in CAD funds. Accepted the payment.

Unfortunately, US Funds is the first option that comes up when you request money. OOOOPS! I made a mistake. If the sender of the funds caught it ... just apologize and resend in CAD funds. Simple.
You suggested scamming the customer, and now your suggestion is to play stupid. Says enough about your character....Are you actually trying to justify lying to a customer? No wonder you have problems with PayPal, when you start off by lying they can see right through your bs, maybe that's why you've had so many problems. Food for thought.

I do this a business and have done it all. PayPal business or Stripe, safest and surest way. COD works too, but the shipping rates are outrageous. I've been overpaid too, I refund the money. Honesty and integrity go a long way in growing a business.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
TheMaterial wrote: You suggested scamming the customer, and now your suggestion is to play stupid. Says enough about your character....Are you actually trying to justify lying to a customer? No wonder you have problems with PayPal, when you start off by lying they can see right through your bs, maybe that's why you've had so many problems. Food for thought.

I do this a business and have done it all. PayPal business or Stripe, safest and surest way. COD works too, but the shipping rates are outrageous. I've been overpaid too, I refund the money. Honesty and integrity go a long way in growing a business.
You keep on talking business. OP is selling an item ... one item ... one transaction ... big deal if it was a one time thing.
Dec 15, 2015
706 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
jdmfishingonly wrote: You keep on talking business. OP is selling an item ... one item ... one transaction ... big deal if it was a one time thing.
No, I am saying I do this as a business, so I've dealt with it all, PayPal, EMTs, Bitcoin you name it. OP is asking for the safest and surest way to get his item to the US and paid for(w/o driving it down)...That is PayPal or Stripe w/discount shipper. COD is also good, but its very expensive. OP said item is sub $1000....To me that means $500-1000 in value, ya you go ahead and send that without any protection for yourself or the buyer. If a buyer forced me to use FF for something that expensive its got scam written all over it.

Maybe once you stop being sketchy and trying to screw the buyer you won't have issues...I can only imagine what you claimed or said when you had your problems with your product(s). Really, who tells someone to willingly try to scam someone on the USD to CAD conversion then claim ignorance if they say something. Literally nothing more needs to be said about you.
Aug 16, 2015
387 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Just to update, we ended up using western union. It ended up costing the buyer a little more but it was the fastest and easiest for me.