Selling Macbook Pro - Fair Price?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2021 11:57 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes

Selling Macbook Pro - Fair Price?

What's a fair price for selling a 16 inch Macbook Pro 2016 (2020 model I think) - Apple Care until September 2023

Thoughts?

(Added size)
Last edited by berrytree on Nov 3rd, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Oct 26, 2008
205 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
I think adding the macbook's size (13 or 15??) and specs would help with the discussion as those items are contributing factors to the price…

One thing I'd check for sure is if it's covered under the Keyboard Service Program
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-serv ... -notebooks

That model was known for its keyboard issues, so I don't know if you've had to send it in to get that replaced…

The fact that it's under Apple Care until September 2023, is good. As it can give a potential buyer some piece of mind should anything go wrong…
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
16 inch. Sorry, I thought I included that!
Apr 7, 2007
873 posts
750 upvotes
Toronto
What are the specs of the laptop?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
H8TR wrote: What are the specs of the laptop?
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
touch bar

2019 model
Nov 19, 2020
108 posts
58 upvotes
I have the same spec 2019 MacBook Pro 16 as you, basically the base model with i7-8750H (2.6Ghz), 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 5300M GPU

I recently sold it last week on Kijiji for $2150.

I originally purchased it with education discount for around $3000 taxes in, but got a pair of free AirPods Pro’s as I was in my last year university at the time. So total $ spent if I were to take the AirPods would be around $2900-ish give or take, and I have owned my 16” MacBook Pro for well over a year, and the warranty has indeed expired. The remaining battery life isn’t too good neither, it has around 86% battery health remaining and a total of around 451 total battery discharge cycles.

I used the 16” MacBook for some 3D rendering for Architectural Visualization stuff so the laptop was literally always plugged into the charger for the entirety of 1.5 years. And the Intel Core i7-8750H was constantly pinned for extended amounts of time at around 90 degrees Celsius to around 96 degrees Celsius during renders, which probably explains the accelerated battery degradation.

Physically, my MacBook Pro 16” was in mint condition as it almost never left my apartment, as if it did, it was always protected with hardshell case with a soft laptop sleeve.

So, what is your battery health % at ? Assuming your MacBook Pro 16 is in pristine physical condition (9.5 or 10/10 condition, and If it is 90% or so, a fair price could be like $2250-$2300 range. If it is 95% of higher and you have pristine physical condition, then you could see probably around $2400-$2500 as a fair price.

Mind you there a lots and lots of low ballers in the past year or so, the key is be patient, and take a bit of time to sell. If you rush sell and give in to the low offers, then that is on you. Do not rush to buy the new computer until you can get a decent resale price of your old one back to minimize your losses on your initial purchase on your original MacBook Pro 16.

Well, consumer electronics are one of the worst depreciating asset one can invest money into. Once the box is opened and you are past the return/exchange period, the resale value will decrease dramatically, Apple product depreciate less compared to other branded consumer electronics out there in its respective categories, which is another reason why some of us buy Apple to resale down the line and not to take a terrible loss on it.
Oct 26, 2008
205 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Sorrosh wrote: So, what is your battery health % at ? Assuming your MacBook Pro 16 is in pristine physical condition (9.5 or 10/10 condition, and If it is 90% or so, a fair price could be like $2250-$2300 range. If it is 95% of higher and you have pristine physical condition, then you could see probably around $2400-$2500 as a fair price.
OK, so if it is a 16 inch, then you shouldn't have any issues with the keyboard.
Good news there. The figures Sorrosh mentioned are a good starting range.

Personally, If I was going to spend that kind of money — It'd look at comparable apple refurbs

Or the new M1 MacBook Pros, as you're getting pretty close to the price of those…

Double-check the apple care warranty to make sure that it actually does last until September 2023.
I sometimes add an extra $50 to $100 to items I sell on Kijiji — that helps to account for the people that want to haggle… as it'll give you a buffer to work in and still allow you to seemingly lower the price when asked…
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
Thank you @Sorrosh for such a comprehensive and helpful response - grateful.

@Starmax - Thank you as well. Very helpful. Gracias.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)