thanks
it would be a honda cbr r 500
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6786 posts
3705 upvotes
Vancouver
When I sold my wife's Ninja 250 a few years ago, I met the buyer in a parking lot. I did let bf take it for a quick test drive around the parking lot (large Loblaw's parking lot) while the gf waited next to us.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2241 posts
730 upvotes
Central Ontario
I've had a motorcycle for sale for just about a year now and the few prospective buyers I've had all think they're going to come and rip around on it... no plates, no insurance, no way.

Do people buying used motorcycles privately really think somebody will let them ride around with limit, even if it was plated/insured?
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
942 posts
367 upvotes
toronto
so what your saying is,,no test drives..mine for sale is plated and insured
JustMike wrote: I've had a motorcycle for sale for just about a year now and the few prospective buyers I've had all think they're going to come and rip around on it... no plates, no insurance, no way.

Do people buying used motorcycles privately really think somebody will let them ride around with limit, even if it was plated/insured?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2241 posts
730 upvotes
Central Ontario
your best bet wrote: so what your saying is,,no test drives..mine for sale is plated and insured
Well, I wouldn't but so far it's prevented me from selling... my next approach will be "AS IS" and advertise no test rides.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2447 posts
444 upvotes
Kitchener
I haven't sold a bike but I've either bought it or been there for another person. 3 bikes and I only rode 1. I didn't buy the bike I rode either.

The seller seemed sketchy. Said the bike wouldn't start so I just had to buy it as it was. It looked like it was in poor shape so I walked away. Within minutes he called me back on my cell. Magically the bike would start. I drove it slowly down the road and it felt terrible. Came back and said no thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1656 posts
2066 upvotes
GTA
Both my bikes, I drove it and had them drive behind me. Once we worked out a fair deal I took 1/2 the cash, their drivers license and let them test drive it to make sure I wasn’t sandbagging.

Sold “As is”.
Jan 9, 2009
378 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
I personally suggested everyone who came to look at my motorcycles to test ride it with the caveat that they bring the asking price. I wouldn't buy a bike without test riding it myself.

All 3 times someone handed me the cash and they went on a test ride. If they didn't like it they could get their money back and walk away - no issue at all. Only thing i found with this would be people would try to do a lot of negotiation prior to seeing the bike which I was okay with, but that ultimately just meant there wasn't room to negotiate when they came to test ride it.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3180 posts
816 upvotes
Vaughan
Although not a motorcycle, i did sell my car last june. I let the buyer test the car with his 3 friends that came with him. I didn't go on the test drive. Main reason i didn't. The friend that drove the buyer of my car pulled up in a car that was worth way more than mine, plus the friends car was parked in front of my house. I mean they could have drove off with my car, but i could easily catch them by calling the cops, and using the sellers friends license plate on his car. It wouldn't be hard finding them.

On the other hand. If the guy shows on foot, and wants to test drive a motorcycle, i think i'd be very hesitant.

If it were me, i'd ask to take a photo of their drivers license upon arrival. I wouldn't ask a head of time, because they could use a fake id, if they have access to that.

I wouldn't buy any car or motorcycle for that matter if i couldn't test drive it. It seems like you have something hide if you don't let a potential buyer test drive it. I get your reasoning behind it, but you also have to put your shoes in the buyers perspective as well.

Anyways, best of luck with the sale.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
942 posts
367 upvotes
toronto
the bike that im selling, i actually bought it without a test drive...
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22136 posts
2805 upvotes
I took a deposit and held their driver license hostage when they decided to take it for a ride