• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2017 8:56 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2010
457 posts
145 upvotes

Selling Old Car

I usually trade my old cars in, but in this instance I am not buying a new car to replace my current Ford Edge.

I really don't want the hassle of selling it on autotrader or kijiji.

I went to my local Ford dealer and they will buy it without me buying a new car, they will cut a cheque (obviously its a lowball dealer price, plus i forgo the taxes i would have saved on a new purchase). My question is will it make a difference taking it to other brand dealers (ie Nissan, Honda), or will sticking to Ford get me the most as it is a Ford.

It is a higher mileage car (180K+) and the guy mentioned they probably wouldn't resell it themselves as they could not offer any extended warranty on it.

Not sure if i should waste my time going to other dealers or just take the deal. Do dealers normally buy used cars if your not buying anything?

blackbook value is about 10-13K on it, they are offering me 7K

Any other suggestions? I really don't' want to list it on autotrader or kijiji and have people showing up to test drive it, nor do I have time for that, I want to get the most I can without going that route.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6573 posts
4103 upvotes
Toronto
Ask your friends and family to buy it for 13k then.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2010
457 posts
145 upvotes
Ok thank you for that helpful comment. Anyone else with experience working at a dealership maybe?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7323 posts
3908 upvotes
Debtario
That's quite a loss in selling to a dealer, I'd say it's worth the hassle of selling privately. Just have to screen buyers closely, talk with them on the phone before you agree to have them come by and weed out the scumbags and tire kickers as best you can just by talking.

My neighbour was tempted to sell his high mileage dodge journey to a dealer for $2K, but stuck to Kijiji and after a month ended up selling to some family for $5K, they came with a flatbed and it was sold within minutes. It was in good shape cosmetically but did that guy beat on it every day, I sometimes wonder how long it ran for those folks lol.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)