Scammers and Warnings

Selling something expensive on Kijiji, any precautions to take that I am missing?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 2:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4793 posts
1981 upvotes
Ancaster

Selling something expensive on Kijiji, any precautions to take that I am missing?

Hello fellow RFDers,

I am slowly selling off my digital photography equipment as I am really getting into using film and had a few questions on how I can protect myself. Essentially, I have a buyer interested in several thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Given the risk with such a transaction, I have done the following:

1. Arranged to meet at the local police station to conduct the exchange of goods (police station has okayed this).

2. Taken photos of the items before hand.

3. Setup my chequeing account for automatic deposit of EMTs.

4. Requested that the buyer pay via EMT.

5. Drafted a Bill of Sale detailing that the sale is as-is, that there are no warranties, the description of the items and their serial numbers.

Is there anything else that I am missing to avoid getting scammed/robbed?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1021 posts
193 upvotes
Oakville, ON
That is more than what most people do. You’ve taken a lot of precautions, seeing as it will be at a police station I doubt the buyer would try anything sneaky. For the most part the scammers on Kijiji are usually the ones “selling” something.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6288 posts
1203 upvotes
Ask him if you can take a pic of his diver's license.

Also, go with a friend to the transaction but have him stand near by rather than next to you.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius