• Feb 28th, 2021 3:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
660 posts
321 upvotes
Mississauga

Selling Tips?

I'm looking to sell my old car and I want to see what tips I should follow. I'm not selling on Kijiji or anything like that. Likely going through autotrader.

Is it as simple as posting the car on the site with the required info (like mileage, the model and all that), just mention the car is sold "as is" (to not be liable for any issues they might face in the days or weeks after), and that's it?

What could I expect along that process in terms of people contacting about the car?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1269 posts
1521 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Make sure the pics are good, any issues are disclosed. Selling 'as-is' will always raise red flags though, do you have any idea what it would take for the car to pass a safety?
Banned
Feb 19, 2021
53 posts
41 upvotes
Affixing the phrase "no lowballers" will ensure you get your asking price.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
660 posts
321 upvotes
Mississauga
mxthor3 wrote: do you have any idea what it would take for the car to pass a safety?
The car does drive fine, but some things could be improved on.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1269 posts
1521 upvotes
Barrie, ON
dxbender wrote: The car does drive fine, but some things could be improved on.
Doesn't take much to pass a safety. It would definitely help you sell it if it wasn't being sold as-is
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28884 posts
14443 upvotes
Toronto
You can indicate:
General condition of car (like no damage to bumpers, fenders). No signs of rust.
Any accidents in the past
Type of maintenance services done and last performed
Any desirable options it has (for example, sunroof ? Heated seats ? Power seats ? Halogen or hid or led lightings ? Etc)
Disclose typical gas mileage consumption, if applicable
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8013 posts
622 upvotes
Brampton
Why not Kijiji?

If you want most exposure use Autotrader, Kijiji, and Facebook Marketplace.

Btw for my own experience I feel that Autotrader gets buyers for cars ~$10k or higher but Kijiji and FB is better for lower valued cars.

Also IMO surprisingly FB is taking over Kijiji when selling used items.
Nov 17, 2013
63 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Make sure you get a UVIP from Service Ontario; like others have mentioned any service history on the vehicle would be helpful and a safety certificate would ease the potential buyer.

For example I recently bought a used vehicle from a seller that posted on Auto Trader for $5k. I looked on all 3 sources; I contacted a few only 2 got back to me and I went with the car that I wanted. The seller was open about everything. He didn't have the safety done but, he did have the brakes and rotors replaced before I picked up the car. I work on my own cars so I looked at a few things new everything else was fine. it cost me $100 for the safety and I didn't have to do any work to the car.