Selling used car ...AS it is

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2021 11:52 am
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes

Selling used car ...AS it is

hello friends .I am selling a used 2014 dodge car for the first time .Never sold a car before .Its been driven over 200000 .It runs fine but I am selling it as it because I don't want to go through the headache of getting safety done which takes time and money. Don't want to spend money on it as I don't use it anymore and will take little less when selling .What is the easiest way for me to do a private sale .I guess it will be kijiji or market place
What are the checklist of things to keep in mind when selling it .

I requested a UVIP. What else do I need and what kind of wording should I include in the sales letter when selling as it is
thank you
23 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1615 posts
720 upvotes
Ontario
Write As-is on the bill of sale/UVIP .Get the UVIP as you have .Stay safe when showing it (mask sanitizer etc .) and make sure you let them know many many times its as-is .When you sell it ,it doesn't hurt to let the DMV know its been sold .Return your plates for refund on sticker if time still left .Do NOT let the buyer take/borrow your plates once its sold . ;)
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes
does the bill of sale comes with uvip .DMV are they even open and what's the best way to let them know its been sold .I would return the plates for sure as I don't plan to buy a new car
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1615 posts
720 upvotes
Ontario
oh yah ,I forgot that link ,thanks derass :)
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4494 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
A couple of things that will cost but might help you sell quicker. It helps to get rid of the tire kickers.

1. Get a CarFax report - use the forums here for a cheaper way
2. If you have been bringing it to a regular garage that you trust, pay for the safety inspection. If it passes, you can then say the car has been safetied. If not they will usually give you a list of what it needs and costs. People will ask what it needs.
Many garages will recheck in 30 days for a lower fee to the buyer if they want to do their own work or bring it to your garage & have them do the work. The certificate will cost a little more ($30 or so) but is valid for 30 days.
3. In either case, be prepared for people that want to have their mechanic look at it.
4. If you have maintenance receipts. Put them all together for the buyer. Maintenance helps, even if it is parts receipts and you DIY.

If you want a quick sale, make it easy for the buyer. An As-Is sale without these steps will likely get you much less. It should cost <$200 that you can tack onto the asking price.
Last edited by ROYinTO on Feb 9th, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes
derass wrote: Checklist of things to do is here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/buy-or-sell ... le-ontario
thank you for this
where would I get the bill of sale ?
a signed Bill of Sale with your name, the buyer’s name and address, the date and purchase price

and this

a completed and signed Application for Transfer — this is found on the back of an ownership permit, under the vehicle portion

it also ask for
a certificate that verifies the vehicle meets safety standards (if required)
​you will need to get this from a licensed mechanic
but if i am selling it as it is ,I cant chose not to have this .
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: A couple of things that will cost but might help you sell quicker. It helps to get rid of the tire kickers.

1. Get a CarFax report - use the forums here for a cheaper way
2. If you have been bringing it to a regular garage that you trust, pay for the safety inspection. If it passes, you can then say the car has been safetied. If not they will usually give you a list of what it needs and costs. People will ask what it needs.
Many garages will recheck in 30 days for a lower fee to the buyer if they want to do their own work or bring it to your garage & have them do the work. The certificate will cost a little more ($30 or so) but is valid for 30 days.
3. In either case, be prepared for people that want to have their mechanic look at it.
4. If you have maintenance receipts. Put them all together for the buyer. Maintenance helps, even if it is parts receipts and you DIY.

If you want a quick sale, make it easy for the buyer. An As-Is sale without these steps will likely get you much less. It should cost <$200 that you can tack onto the asking price.
Issue is most of the repairs like brake pads rotors change have been done by myself and my brother .Never had any major repair done on it that's why Since I have it in 2016 I never took it to a mechanical shop for any repairs. I also stopped the insurance on it as it was costing me just to keep it parked at home . I am ok with losing up to 400 $ from the total cost that I want for it for the buyer to get it safety checked as it needs a a new front windshield ,new battery and tires(without the windsahield it wont pass inspection anyways ) and who knows what else can be wrong . I just don't want to invest any money in this and than hoping to sell it for more and wait patiently for an offer
Last edited by jassdash on Feb 9th, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4019 posts
4149 upvotes
GTA
jassdash wrote: thank you for this
where would I get the bill of sale ?
a signed Bill of Sale with your name, the buyer’s name and address, the date and purchase price

and this

a completed and signed Application for Transfer — this is found on the back of an ownership permit, under the vehicle portion

it also ask for
a certificate that verifies the vehicle meets safety standards (if required)
​you will need to get this from a licensed mechanic
but if i am selling it as it is ,I cant chose not to have this .
The UVIP is several pages. The last page is a blank bill of sale that you and the buyer will fill out. You give the bill of sale to the buyer, and they take it to Service Ontario.

The application for transfer is on the back side of the vehicle portion of the ownership. You already have this. You and the buyer fill it out. You give them the vehicle portion of the ownership, and you keep the license plate portion. The ownership tears in half down the middle.

Correct. If you are selling the car as-is, you do not need to provide a safety certificate.

You might also want to take a picture or photocopy of the filled out documents, along with the buyer's driver's license.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4019 posts
4149 upvotes
GTA
I honestly don't even think there needs to be specific "as-is" wording anywhere in the transaction. In a private sale, there's no expectation that the car is certified or even road worthy. It is up to the buyer to do their due diligence. I don't think they have any recourse even if the car is a total piece of junk. Only dealers are required by law to declare when a used car is being sold "as-is".
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3083 posts
3035 upvotes
GTA
Why wouldn't you get the safety done? It doesn't take long or cost much and you will get a lot more interest in your car (sell it quicker) and a (significantly?) better price.
Last edited by tew on Feb 9th, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes
tew wrote: Why wouldn't you get the safety done? It doesn't take long or cost much and you will get a lot more interest in your car (sell it quicker) and a (significantly?) better price.
for this

Issue is most of the repairs like brake pads rotors change have been done by myself and my brother .Never had any major repair done on it that's why Since I have it in 2016 I never took it to a mechanical shop for any repairs. I also stopped the insurance on it as it was costing me just to keep it parked at home .SO taking it to safety shop will cost me 1 month insurance I think to reinstate. I am ok with losing up to 400 $ from the total cost that I want for it for the buyer to get it safety checked as it needs a a new front windshield ,new battery and tires(without the windshield it wont pass inspection anyways ) and who knows what else can be wrong . I just don't want to invest any money in this and than hoping to sell it for more and wait patiently for an offer
and I would have to take a day off work as well
and on top of that the car is only worth 2500-3000
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4494 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
jassdash wrote: it needs a a new front windshield ,new battery and tires(without the windshield it wont pass inspection anyways ...
and on top of that the car is only worth 2500-3000
If that is the situation.
Then list what it needs in the ad. That will keep anybody that does not want to do that kind of work from calling you.
Make sure you say the car is currently unplated & uninsured. That will keep anyone wanting to test drive away. Chances are you will get a used car dealer that has plates & will want to low ball you.
On the UVIP where it provides a section for the receipt simply write "Sold AS-IS".
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Jul 12, 2018
358 posts
245 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: If that is the situation.
Then list what it needs in the ad. That will keep anybody that does not want to do that kind of work from calling you.
Make sure you say the car is currently unplated & uninsured. That will keep anyone wanting to test drive away. Chances are you will get a used car dealer that has plates & will want to low ball you.
On the UVIP where it provides a section for the receipt simply write "Sold AS-IS".
thank you .I did made changes to my ad accordingly .
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2384 posts
338 upvotes
North York
jassdash wrote: . I am ok with losing up to 400 $ from the total cost that I want for it for the buyer to get it safety checked as it needs a a new front windshield ,new battery and tires(without the windshield it wont pass inspection anyways ) and who knows what else can be wrong . I
If I'm buying a car without a safety, and who knows what else is wrong - I'm not doing it for only a $400 savings from the market price, especially if I can't have it looked at my mechanic prior to purchase. If an honest market price is 2500-3k, I'd pay at most 500, maybe 1000 if the car was otherwise really clean.

I'd rather buy from someone who is willing to put in a little bit of effort.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4494 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: You might also want to take a picture or photocopy of the filled out documents, along with the buyer's driver's license.
Good point.
The OP can then let Service Ontario know the vehicle was sold and who it was sold to.. I remember reading a thread here where someone got bills for a vehicle that was sold and the new owner never transferred ownership.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28251 posts
8701 upvotes
Definitely be prepared for a lot of lowballing lol. Even if you say $2500-3000 and expect to get like $2000, that's not the kind of lowballing I'm talking about. People are probably gonna be offering like $500 citing things like it can't be [test] driven, isn't certified, etc. It's got a lot of kms too, which doesn't help anything.

Not sure what you're willing to take as minimum but you'll probably be able to sell it for like $1k fairly easy if it's worth what you say it is. But getting closer to your asking price may take more time, and a lot of ignoring the lowballers. Best of luck.
Jul 12, 2018
358 posts
245 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Definitely be prepared for a lot of lowballing lol. Even if you say $2500-3000 and expect to get like $2000, that's not the kind of lowballing I'm talking about. People are probably gonna be offering like $500 citing things like it can't be [test] driven, isn't certified, etc. It's got a lot of kms too, which doesn't help anything.

Not sure what you're willing to take as minimum but you'll probably be able to sell it for like $1k fairly easy if it's worth what you say it is. But getting closer to your asking price may take more time, and a lot of ignoring the lowballers. Best of luck.
I did get a lot of the lowballing from 500 to 1000 .I just ignored it . I finally got someone willing to pay 2000 with the issues that I have mentioned in the ad. Once they try it and we agreed on it .If I sell it AS IT IS and they find some other issue at safety or the car can never pass safety due to some issue would I be held Liable. Or i am covered by writing as it is
Dec 7, 2011
773 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
Thatsamazing wrote: I did get a lot of the lowballing from 500 to 1000 .I just ignored it . I finally got someone willing to pay 2000 with the issues that I have mentioned in the ad. Once they try it and we agreed on it .If I sell it AS IT IS and they find some other issue at safety or the car can never pass safety due to some issue would I be held Liable. Or i am covered by writing as it is
The problem with the crowd looking for cars in this price range, they will keep trying to low ball you. You get guys that say they'll pay $2k but will low ball you again when they meet in person. Another thing you're competing with are the guys that buy these $500 cars, do a clean up to make the car look good and then flip it for more. You can hide a lot with some expanding foam and black paint.

If you get the$2k, take the money and run