Automotive

Selling a used car - what scams to watch out for?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2021 9:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1042 upvotes

Selling a used car - what scams to watch out for?

What are the scams going around that I need to be careful about?

Fake Money Order, Fake cash, what else?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
29 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
Meet up for a test drive and steal your car …. If you are so lucky, they won’t harm you …. So, do Prepare for the worst case scenario
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1042 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Meet up for a test drive and steal your car …. If you are so lucky, they won’t harm you …. So, do Prepare for the worst case scenario
At this point they'd be doing me a favour if they take it Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
junkmail2002 wrote: At this point they'd be doing me a favour if they take it Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Wasn't there a case not too long ago when the seller (a young father) was killed while being in a test drive? I can't remember his name...
May 13, 2014
686 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
junkmail2002 wrote: At this point they'd be doing me a favour if they take it Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
So long as they don't Tim Bosma you, that is...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
Ya, those two guys did it for the thrill/fun/whatever their real reason was at the time
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
booblehead wrote: Ya, those two guys did it for the thrill/fun/whatever their real reason was at the time
Well, those guys are now behind bars for a very long time without parole because that one murder led to police now revisiting 2 other murders related to them and as a result, one was convicted of 2 first degree murders, the other 3 first degree murders so 50 years and 75 years without parole respectively.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1042 upvotes
So let's keep the thread on track... What should I watch out for?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
Well, scam wise as you have mentioned is the payment method that can really hurt you financially . Other than that, you are the seller that has the final say of the transaction.

Lastly, you may want to establish rule for any test driving in this Covid era.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3018 posts
3384 upvotes
GTA
Confirm that the vehicle gets registered in the new owner's name. Many cases where the seller gets stuck with unpaid parking fines and impound charges caused by the buyer. As well as sued as the owner of a vehicle in an accident because the ownership was never changed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1042 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote: Confirm that the vehicle gets registered in the new owner's name. Many cases where the seller gets stuck with unpaid parking fines and impound charges caused by the buyer. As well as sued as the owner of a vehicle in an accident because the ownership was never changed.
Thanks. I've been worried about this one. How do I "make sure".
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
You can inform the mto of a final sale but that may not mean much if the new owner fails to register the vehicle within a reasonable time period (6 days)
Last edited by booblehead on Aug 28th, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3018 posts
3384 upvotes
GTA
junkmail2002 wrote: Thanks. I've been worried about this one. How do I "make sure".
Go with the buyer to the DMV in your province at the time of sale. Or in Ontario you can advise Service Ontario that the vehicle was sold yourself.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23432 posts
5442 upvotes
Toronto
DaveTheDude wrote: Go with the buyer to the DMV in your province at the time of sale. Or in Ontario you can advise Service Ontario that the vehicle was sold yourself.
This - we just recently sold a used vehicle.

The buyer didn't have time to go with me to Service Ontario to do the transfer at the same time so I signed over the ownership paper once the funds cleared.

What we did to ensure the bank draft was legit was accompanied the buyer to their bank & watched them get a bank draft from their teller. Then we drove together to my bank & I deposited the bank draft.

Once the funds cleared, I signed over my ownership papers to the buyer (make sure you keep your plate portion of the permit slip!).

Then I drove over to Service Ontario & informed Service Ontario that I sold my vehicle. Service Ontario has a standard form that I had to fill out to declare the vehicle sold. Also I returned my plates to receive a pro-rated portion of the plate sticker.

BUT - I would strongly suggest you & the buyer go together to DMV to do the transfer together - much safer. GL!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Lastly, you may want to establish rule for any test driving in this Covid era.
Right, I was about to say,
When I sold cars before, there were people bringing his young brother and girlfriend with them. So there are 4 people together in the test drive including me. I wouldn't let this happen again if selling during convid19 period.
Only allow one person at a time in your car.

Depending how much the car is sold for. Cash is usually good or a certified cheque, you can go to the bank with the buyer and have that deposit first before going to MTO and sign the change of ownership.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Aug 29th, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
junkmail2002 wrote: Thanks. I've been worried about this one. How do I "make sure".
Only if you go to him with MTO and see him registered the car.
Other than that, you cannot really "make sure".
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2228 posts
1810 upvotes
Try selling it on places likes autotrader instant
What I did is called up dealerships and asked if they wanted to buy it. You may lose out on some $ as the dealers will give you wholesale value but a lot better than getting screwed or killed
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2370 posts
1841 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
My IT guy recently visited the office for some year end work and I noticed he was driving a new X5 so I inquired whether he got a good trade-in for the previous X5. He explained he had the previous X5 listed on AutoTrader for $25,000 and met a potential buyer at Square One in Mississauga - his son in law went along as well. The potential buyer was polite, asked questions, looked over the vehicle then sat in the driver’s seat and asked if they could go for a test drive. Before he could answer the guy presses the engine start button, grabbed the keys from his hand, and floored it out of there. Luckily no one was hurt, reported the theft to police, and ultimately received a cheque for $33,000 from his insurance company.

That’s one extreme situation though.

If you’re selling something unspectacular just ignore the requests to PayPal or Interac e-tranfer you funds sight unseen.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
I sure don’t understand why would he had the fob key in his hand, it ought to be in his pocket at all time. Did he even take a picture of that guy’s D/L ? Without showing any proper ID, I would not even let him sat inside at all. At least it was a windfall for him in the end.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2370 posts
1841 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
booblehead wrote: I sure don’t understand why would he had the fob key in his hand, it ought to be in his pocket at all time. Did he even take a picture of that guy’s D/L ? Without showing any proper ID, I would not even let him sat inside at all. At least it was a windfall for him in the end.
Honestly didn’t bother asking too much beyond ensuring neither was hurt. Certainly didn’t seem too displeased either by the insurance payout lol. Meanwhile we all end up paying for it in the end.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)