Entrepreneurship & Small Business

is the sender charged extra for a refused shipment?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2018 11:53 am
[OP]
Oct 15, 2016
201 posts
237 upvotes

is the sender charged extra for a refused shipment?

Sorry if this is a little off-topic. I can't find the answer with Google and many of you have long experience with shippers. When recipient refuses a package (for reasons other than damage), is the sender charged extra for the return leg?

I'm wondering specifically about Purolator; generic insights are welcome too.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
199 upvotes
Markham, ON
Here is my generic insight.

The shipper scheduled shipment to have the item delivered to the specified location, being the recipient's location. The item has arrived at said location.

If there was no one to answer the door, the delivery guy can just drop the shipment off; however, in your scenario someone appears to have answered the door and refused the shipment.

A new shipment was therefore scheduled by an unknown person in order to return the item to the shipper. Everyone involved did not want to be falsely accused of theft by the shipper!

The shipper now stuck with a bill of extra delivery charges and the original shipment.

The original shipment could have been held captive pending receipt of payment first for the return trip labour and gas.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16787 posts
7027 upvotes
This thread answers your question:
canada-post-charges-return-sender-1257324/

It is also the logical answer - someone has to pay for essentially shipping the item back and the only person who they have leverage on is the person who is receiving the item.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12447 posts
3649 upvotes
GTA
Think of it this way:

You get a taxi from home to a restaurant ( $20 fare) to meet a client. Just as you get there, they call and cancel meeting. You ask the cabbie to bring you back home.

How much is the fare, $20 or $40?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4943 upvotes
Here 'n There
here's my no-frills generic insight: Nobody work for nuttin'