None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2842 posts
417 upvotes
Vancouver

Sending food back at restaurants and the bill

Curious what the consensus is for the following situation.

I was at a fine dining establishment. The entree I ordered was appallingly bad - overcooked and under-seasoned. Other people in my party who ordered the same dish seemed to be enjoying it, they're busily eating away with no concerns raised. I was just picking at it cuz it was unenjoyable. I'm hesitant about saying something, wasn't sure if i was being overly demanding. Finally near the end of the meal, I had about 1/3 of the dish remaining, I said something to the server. Just a comment regarding the quality and clearly showed them what was amiss. They were understanding and took the remaining back to the kitchen. Was not expecting the entree to be comped. Surprisingly when the bill came, they took off my entree which was nice of them.

However, at that time, the other people in the group decideed to jump on board to say they felt exactly the same way about their entrees, that it was dry, didnt taste good, etc, even though they polished off their whole plate and never said anything until that point. They wanted us all (3 of us) to split the 2 entrees equally.

At the time I went along and didn't think anything of it, but upon further reflection, I felt like an ***** being the only person in the table to make a fuss about my dish. No one else in my group corroborated with me when it counted. But when the 'reward' came, everyone reaped the benefits.

Thoughts?
28 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20344 posts
4305 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Personally, I would be embarassed to be associated with that group.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10938 posts
1056 upvotes
This is just one reason why customers suck.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17821 posts
889 upvotes
your friends sound like wonderful, salt of the earth people
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2422 posts
219 upvotes
Brampton
I suggest you get new friends. You also shouldn't have said anything to begin with since you already ate a good chunk of the meal. Either say something the first bite or don't say anything at all.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47256 posts
5175 upvotes
Toronto
toeknee89 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2013 4:36 pm
I suggest you get new friends. You also shouldn't have said anything to begin with since you already ate a good chunk of the meal. Either say something the first bite or don't say anything at all.
+1, there was this lady that ate 90% of her burger then later complained saying it sucked and wanted a new one, what a scum lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1468 upvotes
Pickering
These people had d-bag tendencies all along. You finally got embarrassed by them...
May 10, 2009
180 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2013 4:22 pm
Personally, I would be embarassed to be associated with that group.
+1

You have been taken advantage of by your dinner mates.
May 10, 2009
180 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond Hill
toeknee89 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2013 4:36 pm
You also shouldn't have said anything to begin with since you already ate a good chunk of the meal. Either say something the first bite or don't say anything at all.
It didn't sound like the OP was expecting the meal to be comped. I don't see anything wrong with providing a non-demanding, constructive comment about the quality of the food, even if it is at the end of the meal :) Maybe the OP did not feel there was a more appropriate time for that.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Your friends are losers, I would not go anywhere with them again. You have every right to complain if you don't think the meal taste good, don't sit there and force it down or pick at it, send it back right away.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31381 posts
2776 upvotes
Winnipeg
op, you were in the right, you need new friends if this is consistent issue, but if this is just an isolated incident just let it go
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5527 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
I also think this has to do more about your friends and whom you choose to dine with rather than food & drink etiquette.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2842 posts
417 upvotes
Vancouver
I was definitely not expecting my meal to be comped. I know I finished most of it and absolutely expected to pay for it. I was just confused that it was a nice restaurant and they actually served me something that unenjoyable. I had tried another friend's dish and hers was delicious. I looked around the table and everyone loved their food.

Actually to be fair, after rereading my original post, I over exaggerated the whole ordeal a bit. So there were 3 people in my group (including me) that ordered the same entree. A closer friend who sat next to me ordered the same thing. I mentioned to her once or twice during the meal that the entree was dry and generally not good at all. She joked that the side dish the entree came with was tastier than the main entree. That's it, nothing more. She finished her dish (nothing left) while I picked at mine and finally worked up the courage to say something.

However, when we got the bill, we realized they only charged our group for 2 of those entrees, so I was trying to figure out how much to owe for my drink and how much extra to throw in for their gesture. The said friend immediately jumped on splitting the bill for the 2 entrees 3 ways. The 3rd person didn't suggest splitting the bill, to be fair to her.

Oh wells. This is a one time issue hopefully. That friend has been good to me so I'm not gonna nickle and dime this time. Although next time I'll be more assertive. :D
Jan 17, 2013
457 posts
81 upvotes
Sarnia
Let is slide this time is right. What this friend did is absolutely wrong and she put you on the spot and you're still there because it's nagging at you. The truth is she lacks some class because a person who has it wouldn't have proposed such a thing in the first place.