Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 28, 2011
2 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER

Sengled Element Smart Bulbs deal

I have seen Sengled Element smart bulbs are 25% off. Original price is already cheaper than Philips Hue line. They seem to work with Google Home and Amazon Alexa. Are these good to use with Google Home Mini? Anyone tried? Is it a good deal?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8607 posts
1661 upvotes
Montreal, QC
$30+ for free shipping, the classic bulb is a good deal at $9.74, Amazon sells it for $12.49

I got one to play with and had a lemon, it buzz at full brightness and flickers at anything above 60%, contacted Sengled and they prompty replied and offered a replacement but unfortunately their Canadian warehouse are out of warranty replacement stock? So end the end I dealt with Amazon, going to return it, another one is coming tomorrow to compare.

Also gotten an Ikea Tradfri, 1000lm CRI 90 12.5W vs 800lm CRI 82 9W, pairing the Ikea bulb was a pain in the rear, the Sengled was a breeze in comparison with the Wink hub.
Mar 20, 2007
56 posts
6 upvotes
overturex wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 7:45 pm
I have seen Sengled Element smart bulbs are 25% off. Original price is already cheaper than Philips Hue line. They seem to work with Google Home and Amazon Alexa. Are these good to use with Google Home Mini? Anyone tried? Is it a good deal?
FYI: I use four of these with Google Home Mini + ST and they work perfectly! Just ordered a few more, thanks OP.
Nov 23, 2017
2 posts
As a new Google Home owner, I'm curious about these devices but the "Smart Hub" stuff confuses the hell out of me.

This website says you don't need their hub if you have a device already (quotes "Echo, Smart Things"), does that mean Google Home replaces their hub? If I buy the starter pack (with the hub), can I add other manufacturers devices to it... Nest, Philips Hue etc? I don't want to clutter my desk up with a bunch of hardware unnecessarily.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3090 posts
742 upvotes
Mississauga
mentaljoe1 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 5:21 pm
As a new Google Home owner, I'm curious about these devices but the "Smart Hub" stuff confuses the hell out of me.

This website says you don't need their hub if you have a device already (quotes "Echo, Smart Things"), does that mean Google Home replaces their hub? If I buy the starter pack (with the hub), can I add other manufacturers devices to it... Nest, Philips Hue etc? I don't want to clutter my desk up with a bunch of hardware unnecessarily.
If you have Google home but no hub, you will only be able to control devices that connect to WiFi. Anything that works off the z-wave/zigbee protocol will require a hub (i.e. Wink/Smartthings) to work with GH or Echo, with the exception of Echo Plus which has a built-in hub. Since the sengled bulbs seem to work off Zigbee, you'll need a hub.