Price:
$519.95
Savings:
24%
Expiry:
June 30, 2020
Retailer:
Sennheiser
Im new at this headphone thing but this item is highly lauded and highly discounted. im not worthy, though.
14 replies
Feb 1, 2017
290 posts
314 upvotes
These are a very poor buy with the 6XX existing. The 6XX are fantastic and are 315$ shipped.
Oct 29, 2010
207 posts
228 upvotes
Quebec
Youre much better off with a massdrop 6XX for 220US.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14179 posts
5380 upvotes
Ottawa
ryokoseigo wrote: These are a very poor buy with the 6XX existing. The 6XX are fantastic and are 315$ shipped.
Yes. The 660S also sounds different than the older 6 series.
I actually prefer the smoother sound of the 6XX or 600 for a cheaper price.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2621 posts
686 upvotes
Agree with the 6XX recommendations, but if I recall, I had to pay duty on mine years back. Is this still an issue? Or am I misremembering? Not saying it's not a good deal (bought them myself), but it's a consideration for the cost.

Here's the link for those who want it: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Aug 16, 2018
23 posts
11 upvotes
dbdudley wrote: Agree with the 6XX recommendations, but if I recall, I had to pay duty on mine years back. Is this still an issue? Or am I misremembering? Not saying it's not a good deal (bought them myself), but it's a consideration for the cost.

Here's the link for those who want it: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
I just grabbed a pair of HD 58X from drop and had to pay about $40 in duties.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7121 posts
1886 upvotes
T dot 6
dbdudley wrote: Agree with the 6XX recommendations, but if I recall, I had to pay duty on mine years back. Is this still an issue?
It is. I got the HD6XX a few weeks ago from Drop and paid DHL $50 for duty and taxes. I was annoyed at the time but the HD6XX are fantastic.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2163 posts
4381 upvotes
You will almost certainly pay taxes on everything (over $20) that ships from massdrop themselves; Canadapost, DHL, UPS, there's no escaping it. YMMV if is ships from somewhere else.

Amounts I have paid this year on several massdrop purchases in Ontario. Canada post charges an extra $10 handling fee that was included in the amounts below on all items except the ELEX which shipped via UPS.

HE4XX $37.26 tax @$110 USD
Koss ESP 95X tax $108.64 @$500 USD
Elex $114.95 tax @$600 USD
Halo keyswitches $18~ tax @45 USD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7121 posts
1886 upvotes
T dot 6
kimwoobingsu wrote: You will almost certainly pay taxes on everything (over $20) that ships from massdrop themselves; Canadapost, DHL, UPS, there's no escaping it. YMMV if is ships from somewhere else.
Well now I don't feel as bad, I thought I was just unlucky. I got some Holy Pandas switches coming from Drop so I will be expecting the fees this time.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Dec 22, 2018
19 posts
31 upvotes
Look into the 58x Jubilees. sound very similar to the 660s (some say identical or even better for the low end). $170 American on mass drop
Last edited by JoseH35218 on Jun 12th, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4475 posts
3050 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Off topic but still Sennheiser. I see the HD820 and amp bundle is $5k now. Is that worth it are there other better equipment at similar price?
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Feb 2, 2017
425 posts
492 upvotes
Before people go and purchase the HD6XX, it really isn't as good as reviews make it out to be. It's boring, bland and sounds veiled when compared to my other $200+ headphones. Probably the least favourite headphones I've purchased.
bomber17 wrote: Off topic but still Sennheiser. I see the HD820 and amp bundle is $5k now. Is that worth it are there other better equipment at similar price?
Over 3k is a crazy amount to spend on a headphone amp. I run my Beyerdynamic T1 with Liquid Carbon X + SDAC and I see no reason to spend anything over that for a headphone amp. I rather spend the money on more headphones.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2163 posts
4381 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Off topic but still Sennheiser. I see the HD820 and amp bundle is $5k now. Is that worth it are there other better equipment at similar price?
I don’t like the HD820, might be a sour grapes thing, but I think the HD800s sounds better (based on my limited time with both). If you are getting either of these I would say skip the amp and get something that has measured well and that you like to listen to.

I really have started to like the Focal sound, and I would maybe buy a Utopia or Stellia if I was going to drop that kind of money on one headphone. The mark ups on these are high and they will often discount them by $1000 or you might even be able to bundle with their amp for a little bit more.
jaydubz wrote: Before people go and purchase the HD6XX, it really isn't as good as reviews make it out to be. It's boring, bland and sounds veiled when compared to my other $200+ headphones. Probably the least favourite headphones I've purchased..
I’d sort of agree with this , the HD650 for me (which is what I own) is great with certain types of music and great with detail, but somehow I listen to it less often than I do pretty much everything else, maybe because I have had it so long the novelty sort of wore off or maybe I just have better headphones now lol. Even the HE4XX that I paid 1/5 the price for I enjoy so much more.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4475 posts
3050 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
kimwoobingsu wrote: I don’t like the HD820, might be a sour grapes thing, but I think the HD800s sounds better (based on my limited time with both). If you are getting either of these I would say skip the amp and get something that has measured well and that you like to listen to.

I really have started to like the Focal sound, and I would maybe buy a Utopia or Stellia if I was going to drop that kind of money on one headphone. The mark ups on these are high and they will often discount them by $1000 or you might even be able to bundle with their amp for a little bit more.
I see the local headphone store has the Stellia at $5200 and Utopia at $6500 with the Arche. Think there could be more discounts?
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.