• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2020 2:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2019
1248 posts
957 upvotes

September air travel to USA

1. Will I get refused by the USA border agent at Toronto airport? I am intending to fly to Washington state.

2. If I book an air ticket to USA in September, and the border end up not open, will I get a refund from Air Canada?
Last edited by ilovetoyota on Aug 5th, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoying your life.
56 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
ilovetoyota wrote: If I book an air ticket to USA in September, and the border end up not open, will I get a refund from Air Canada?
If you book a refundable ticket, you will. I suspect if you book a non-refundable ticket, you're screwed. Keep in mind that the border isn't really closed. It's up to you to determine if you're eligible to travel or not.

Now, if AC cancels or reschedules your flight, you may be able to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket. But that's rolling the dice.

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: If I book an air ticket to USA in September, and the border end up not open, will I get a refund from Air Canada?
The border is open for air travel to the US, don't see anyway you'll get a refund or even a voucher especially if flight is not cancelled

Buy refundable ticket if you want to get money back if you decide not to travel
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Fixed.
Yup..should be enforced like house arrest but they're not doing it. Better will be to send everyone to govt run facility so we don't end up like this where people place their own selfishness and not self quarantine and endanger others just like DUI drivers . I agree 100% with you that we need to be serious like we do towards people with house arrest and have them wear ankle monitors and check in regularly

https://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland-te ... 55284.html

The Queensland Premier has hit out at two teens who dodged quarantine after returning from Melbourne infected with the coronavirus after allegedly lying on a border declaration form.

The state announced two new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, both are 19-year-old women who travelled together from Melbourne to Brisbane via Sydney on July 21.

They travelled on Virgin flights VA 863 and VA 977.

It is believed the two women were active in the community for eight days before isolating.

“I’m absolutely furious that this has happened, that these two people have gone to Victoria and come back and have given two authorities misleading information,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told reporters.

The pair, from Acacia Ridge and Logan, are being treated in the Princess Alexandra Hospital.
Good thing they're charged now

Three women have been charged by police after they allegedly lied their way into Queensland from Victoria.

Olivia Winnie Muranga, Diana Lasu and an unidentified friend arrived together in Brisbane from Melbourne on Tuesday, July 21.

All Victorian residents were banned from entering Queensland from July 9, but the women were able to enter the Sunshine State by stopping off in Sydney.

The women allegedly travelled on Virgin Australia flight 863 from Melbourne to Sydney, to make it appear they hadn't come from Melbourne.

Shortly afterwards they allegedly boarded flight VA 977 to Brisbane.

Ms Muranga and Ms Lasu, as well as one of their immediate family members, on Wednesday became the first three cases of coronavirus in the Queensland community since May.

The test results for the third unidentified traveller who allegedly crossed the border with them have not been released yet.

Queensland Police on Thursday afternoon said three women had been charged for allegedly providing false information on their border declarations.

A 19-year-old Heritage Park woman, a 21-year-old Acacia Ridge woman and a 21-year-old Algester woman were all charged with one count each of providing false or misleading documents and fraud.

The women could be fined $13,345 or sent to jail for a maximum of five years.
Or closer to home, too bad they didn't send him to federal facility for quarantine before he infected 3 others

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/ ... 19-469708/
In an email Sunday, the Nova Scotia Health Department said public health officials made contact with the U.S. resident, who tested positive for COVID-19 earlier Sunday. Nova Scotia is in the process of conducting contact tracing for this person.

“This individual does not reside in Nova Scotia but was passing through our province from the United States to Prince Edward Island," said Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia's chief medical officer of health, in the email.

"We will continue to work closely with our colleagues in PEI and with the federal government on follow-up of these linked cases. As this individual is still within the 14-day isolation period required by the federal Quarantine Act, they are now being quarantined under federal authority in Nova Scotia. We will be able to provide further information as contact tracing work continues.”

In a news release Sunday, the P.E.I. government said two new COVID-19 cases related to the student have been identified. Another case related to this person was reported on Saturday.

"The two additional cases are both men in their 20s and residents of PEI. They are both close contacts of one of the cases reported yesterday, an individual who travelled to Nova Scotia and came in contact with someone from the United States. Contact tracing is now underway for the two new cases."

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3009 upvotes
keenland
StatsGuy wrote: Yup..should be enforced like house arrest but they're not doing it. Better will be to send everyone to govt run facility so we don't end up like this where people place their own selfishness and not self quarantine and endanger others just like DUI drivers . I agree 100% with you that we need to be serious like we do towards people with house arrest and have them wear ankle monitors and check in regularly

https://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland-te ... 55284.html

Good thing they're charged now

Or closer to home, too bad they didn't send him to federal facility for quarantine before he infected 3 others

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/ ... 19-469708/
did you travel? did you quarantine?...dont lump everyone into the same boat...

i travelled, did my quarantine with respect to my local and national law..i followed the rules...did you travel?

do you know or have experience with returning under covid?...

myself and about 2 dozen other various degrees of friends spent winter /spring in fla...coming home ..we all quarantined...EVERYONE...i dont know anyone that broke it...even myself , who normally doesnt follow restrictions laid on...followed these....in the smaller communities where everyone knows each other ...no chance in breaking quarantine as you would be ratted out...this from watching first hand.

most of us were contacted a few times and confirmed location and quarantined...many others were subjected to the CBSA app to gain entry (they were told they had to dl it)

in the end..of course its personal responsibility ..period

but I will not agree with house arrest or ankle bracelet type of commie oppression to FORCE personal responsibility...this is still a free country that i was born and raised in
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Well, it would be nice if that were true, if the 2-week self-isolation period were actually enforced. But it's not. Shame.
It is enforced but just not stringently which is a shame and need to get tougher. These people are worse than DUI but both groups use the excuse of freedom (to go out and drink and then drive ) or not self isolating

Police have been notified for follow-up in more than 21,000 cases where travellers arriving in Canada either couldn't be reached or showed "indication of non-compliance" with the mandatory 14-day quarantine rules.

Of the 21,422 referrals from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) to the RCMP, nearly 1,500 were identified as "priority cases" for physical check-ups.

The RCMP and PHAC both confirmed the figures to CTV News -- though few punishments have been doled out to any suspected rule-breakers.

"To date, 9 tickets have been reported to PHAC as being issued under the Contraventions Act for offences under the Quarantine Act, four of which were issued following a request made by PHAC for a physical verification (2 fines were issued by RCMP and 2 by the Ontario Provincial Police)," PHAC spokesperson Geoffroy Legault-Thivierge confirmed in an emailed statement sent to CTVNews.ca Tuesday evening. "As of July 9, 2020, no arrests have stemmed from PHAC-requested physical verification checks."

In addition to these latest figures, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) confirmed to CTVNews.ca that some travellers indicated a desire not to comply with Canada’s rules as early as the moment they travelled across the border.

"As of July 3, 2020, the CBSA has referred information to both PHAC and the RCMP on 237 travellers who the CBSA believes may not have respected the requirement to quarantine or isolate and/or those who have signalled an unwillingness to comply," said CBSA spokesperson Rebecca Purdy in another emailed statement on Tuesday.

Canada shut its borders to foreigners in mid-March, initially exempting U.S. residents from the new rules. But within days the Canada-U.S. border had also shuttered to all non-essential travel, an agreement that sources told CTV News on Tuesday would be extended to August 21.

As Canada shut its borders to all non-essential foreign travel, it also imposed a mandatory 14-day quarantine rule on March 21 for any travellers who do squeeze past the tightened ports of entry.

According to Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Howard Njoo, most travellers are happy to play by the rules.

"Most people from what I've seen, in terms of the data that’s come in, have been very good in terms of what we call compliance. They accept the calls, they recognize that we’re doing it not to badger or hound them, but really as a gentle reminder to continue doing what's, I think, in their best interests in terms of their health, but also to protect others," Njoo said in a Tuesday press conference.

The news of thousands of suspected rule-breakers emerges as COVID-19 cases explode on the other side of the world's longest international border.

At the end of June, the U.S. became home to the world's highest number of reported infections: more than 2.2 million. That number has since soared to more than 3.4 million, according to the New York Times, with more than 136,000 deaths.

Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
Here's the problem with planning to travel in September. As of now, the border is to reopen August 22 and house arrest ends August 31. However there is no guarantee that those dates are firm. Recall last time, house arrest was supposed to end June 30 but maybe 12 hours before that restriction was to be lifted, there's Patty Hajdu on TV laughing in our faces as she extended it 2 more months. "Hahaha suckers! No summer vacation for you!"

If the government can come out now and announce there will be no further extensions to travel restrictions, then yes, go on and make travel plans for September 1 onward. Otherwise we continue to be prisoners in our own country. There needs to be a firm end date on the restrictions. What is going now is cruel and unusual punishment for crimes we did not commit.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2156 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone see things improving dramatically in one month time?

Why open it then?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Here's the problem with planning to travel in September. As of now, the border is to reopen August 22 and house arrest ends August 31. However there is no guarantee that those dates are firm. Recall last time, house arrest was supposed to end June 30 but maybe 12 hours before that restriction was to be lifted, there's Patty Hajdu on TV laughing in our faces as she extended it 2 more months. "Hahaha suckers! No summer vacation for you!"

If the government can come out now and announce there will be no further extensions to travel restrictions, then yes, go on and make travel plans for September 1 onward. Otherwise we continue to be prisoners in our own country. There needs to be a firm end date on the restrictions. What is going now is cruel and unusual punishment for crimes we did not commit.
Likely US resisting any extension beyond 30 days

And nobody is a prisoner in own country in Canada . You can leave tomorrow if you wanted to.

Also, not sure what 14 day quarantine on entry had to do with summer vacation? Is that not possible within the country?
Last edited by StatsGuy on Aug 1st, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14734 posts
19612 upvotes
Vancouver
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Otherwise we continue to be prisoners in our own country. There needs to be a firm end date on the restrictions. What is going now is cruel and unusual punishment for crimes we did not commit.
Just a tad hyperbolic, don't you think? Prisoners in our own country? There's a global pandemic going on right now, and air travelers are the ones responsible for spreading it all around the world. There will be plenty of opportunities to get out of Canada when this is all over. Take a break from international travel, find something to do here in Canada this year. There's plenty of vacation to be had and interesting things to see and do here in Canada. If that feels like prison to you, I feel really, really sorry for you.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1619 posts
994 upvotes
TORONTO
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Here's the problem with planning to travel in September. As of now, the border is to reopen August 22 and house arrest ends August 31.
There is no house arrest. There is a quarantine that applies.

Frankly, everyone who is allowed into Canada should be tested for COVID - many other countries are doing that.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: However there is no guarantee that those dates are firm. Recall last time, house arrest was supposed to end June 30 but maybe 12 hours before that restriction was to be lifted, there's Patty Hajdu on TV laughing in our faces as she extended it 2 more months. "Hahaha suckers! No summer vacation for you!"
Maybe you noticed that there is a pandemic deadly disease going around, and it is very difficult to predict what will be the current state of affairs happen in a month's time.

And if you're working from home, spending 2 weeks in quarantine at home isn't that bad since that is where you would be spending most of your time anyway.

I'm sure you've seen lots of people not wearing masks while close to others (I certainly have), so I don't think this pandemic is going away anytime soon.
Mar 8, 2004
771 posts
601 upvotes
Kanata
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Here's the problem with planning to travel in September. As of now, the border is to reopen August 22 and house arrest ends August 31. However there is no guarantee that those dates are firm. Recall last time, house arrest was supposed to end June 30 but maybe 12 hours before that restriction was to be lifted, there's Patty Hajdu on TV laughing in our faces as she extended it 2 more months. "Hahaha suckers! No summer vacation for you!"

How can anyone make a decision on information that is changing? Yes if you are going to extend, do it earlier. But you're expecting a decision on information that is only available at a later date. It's like deciding whether to go hiking 2 weeks from now only if the weather is good. Asking for the impossible.

Don't know about anyone else but so tired of this stick to a decision and prisoners in our own country again and again.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
M8Rxmjsik wrote: There is house arrest.
Frankly, everyone who is allowed into Canada should be tested for COVID - many other countries are doing that.
Testing, I'm OK with that.
Check my temperature, I'm OK with that.
Physical distancing, I'm OK with that.
Require a mask when in public indoor spaces and on public transport including aircraft (hell, even include public outdoor spaces if necessary), I'm OK with that.

2 weeks house arrest when I did nothing wrong -- I AM NOT OK WITH THAT. That's where I draw the line.

Border should reopen August 22 and house arrest lifted September 1. No more extensions. No more imprisonment when no crime was committed.
Mar 8, 2004
771 posts
601 upvotes
Kanata
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Testing, I'm OK with that.
Require a mask when in public indoor spaces and on public transport including aircraft (hell, even include public outdoor spaces if necessary), I'm OK with that.

2 weeks house arrest when I did nothing wrong -- I AM NOT OK WITH THAT. That's where I draw the line.

Border should reopen August 22 and house arrest lifted September 1. No more extensions. No more imprisonment when no crime was committed.
Are you ever going to respond to us trying to explain that making a future decision on information that is ever changing is not good decision making? Would you make a decision that can be made in the future in your own life now when you will have better and more current information in the future? If that's how you work then I give up on arguing because there's no point.

Let's say they decide that no matter what they will just relieve the restrictions on that date. What if things get horribly worse? Then what? Just go on?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14734 posts
19612 upvotes
Vancouver
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Testing, I'm OK with that.

So traveling to the country with the biggest runaway outbreak in the world during a global pandemic is "nothing wrong." Why are you in such a hurry to get out of Canada and visit the USA right now? Stay home this year. And ugh, you comparing staying in Canada with imprisonment is making me gag. You seem to hate Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9917 posts
1862 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Kiraly wrote: So traveling to the country with the biggest runaway outbreak in the world during a global pandemic is "nothing wrong." Why are you in such a hurry to get out of Canada and visit the USA right now? Stay home this year. And ugh, you comparing staying in Canada with imprisonment is making me gag. You seem to hate Canada.
Well to be fair the 14 days is for every country not specifically the US. You could go to New Zealand, where covid is pretty much non-existent at this point and still have to do 14 day quarantine on return.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2156 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
uber_shnitz wrote: Well to be fair the 14 days is for every country not specifically the US. You could go to New Zealand, where covid is pretty much non-existent at this point and still have to do 14 day quarantine on return.
You can't go to New Zealand unless you are a citizen or a resident.

Even if you could go to NZ, the issue would be the flight back as there are no direct flights to Canada and you would most likely have to fly via Australia/USA and that is when you would be at risk of catching it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8122 posts
3910 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
uber_shnitz wrote: Well to be fair the 14 days is for every country not specifically the US. You could go to New Zealand, where covid is pretty much non-existent at this point and still have to do 14 day quarantine on return.
You'd have to quarantine there and in a government-sanctioned facility and not in your own home (or facility of your choice).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)