• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2021 3:52 pm
[OP]
Apr 22, 2003
190 posts
80 upvotes

Series X controller

I'm looking to buy an extra controller for Series X. I was going to buy this https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/xbox-wirel ... 0202689366 but then saw this https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/xbox-wirel ... 0202660558 They are the same as far as I can tell. Only difference is one comes with usb-c cable. They're the same price, why would anyone not buy the one with the cable? Am I missing something?
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10029 posts
4402 upvotes
The Series X controller has gone on sale for as low as $59.99 before.

Might as well get the one with the extra separate cable. You could play it wired without draining the battery that way.
The USB C cable also charges PS5 Dualsense and Nintendo Switch Pro controllers.

Problems with the Series X controller:
I do not like the coarse texture that was added to the back of the controller and the triggers.
The controller itself has been made slightly smaller than the XBox One controller.

The d-pad is much improved over the XBox One controller so overall it is an upgrade.

The added Share button also does not work on PC steam, gog, rockstar, epic games launcher games. Only on the XBox Series consoles.
The added share button also does not work on XBox Gamepass for PC games. It only works with XBox consoles.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2958 upvotes
XFactor11, the things you have listed as negative, I actually like, both the relative smaller size and texture.
I do agree these controllers go on sale often enough between all retailers, that OP should just wait for it.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1979 posts
477 upvotes
Mississauga
CFRTim wrote: XFactor11, the things you have listed as negative, I actually like, both the relative smaller size and texture.
Agreed - I too, consider them positives!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1921 posts
1140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I like the new controller. Not a huge improvement over the old one, but it's still my favorite controller in terms of ergonomics and the fact it works with standard AA batteries.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5334 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
I'm loving the new colourway that they just released:

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
[OP]
Apr 22, 2003
190 posts
80 upvotes
Well I bought the controller with the usb c cable. It's identical to the one included with Series X console. Don't understand why it would cost the same as the one without the cable.

Seems like this thread turned into a Series X controller discussion.

Btw, does anyone have the issue where sometimes the 'A' button does not seem to register when pressing it? At first I thought it was an issue with the bundled Series X controller. But it's the same with the new one I just bought. I'm thinking it's just the way I'm pressing it or not pressing hard enough?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1559 posts
374 upvotes
Vancouver
DinoSoup wrote: Btw, does anyone have the issue where sometimes the 'A' button does not seem to register when pressing it? At first I thought it was an issue with the bundled Series X controller. But it's the same with the new one I just bought. I'm thinking it's just the way I'm pressing it or not pressing hard enough?
There are issues with current batch of Series X controllers to some varying degree:

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-xbox- ... issue-fix/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... 255fc86931
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5027 posts
3159 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Battery were death in my Series X controller so I had to use my Xbox one controller.

The haptic feedback felt so superior on Xbox one controller. It feel punchy and nervous were it's muddy on Series controller.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10514 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
surprisingly the new xbox controller works perfectly when paired bluetooth with an Android/iOS device for native/local gaming and cloud... i was worried that there would be some issues. PS5 controllers don't work which sucks
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1042 posts
909 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: surprisingly the new xbox controller works perfectly when paired bluetooth with an Android/iOS device for native/local gaming and cloud... i was worried that there would be some issues. PS5 controllers don't work which sucks
I wouldnt say its surprising given Xbox's focus on cloud gaming, they always show advertisements of cloud gaming with a person playing on the xbox controller, so it better work properly lol
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1877 posts
759 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: surprisingly the new xbox controller works perfectly when paired bluetooth with an Android/iOS device for native/local gaming and cloud... i was worried that there would be some issues. PS5 controllers don't work which sucks
I thought the PS5 worked as well. Remember seeing them play with no issues on a phone in unboxing video somewhere. The PS4 controller worked fine on my iPad while I played remote with my PS5.

As for the Series X controller. I didn’t think there was too much improvement over the One controller, but they shaved just enough off on the handles that allows me to game longer without experience any cramping in the hands. Plus the added texture on the back and triggers was also a welcome improvement. Although the joints of the 2 main pieces almost feel sharp-ish in a few places, but it could just be the 2 different textures messing with me
[external link removed]
[OP]
Apr 22, 2003
190 posts
80 upvotes
bigsky2 wrote: There are issues with current batch of Series X controllers to some varying degree:

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-xbox- ... issue-fix/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... 255fc86931
Hey thanks for the links.

I did some searching myself and there are discussions about this issue also on Reddit. So it's not only me.

I bought a controller from Walmart it has the same issue so I returned it already. Thinking of trying another one. Or if I can try exchange with Microsoft.

Good thing I only experience this during non-gameplay use like navigating menus, options and the MS Store. Probably b/c during gameplay I would hit the buttons harder or more centered.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2958 upvotes
I'm using the older Xbox One controller via Bluetooth on a desktop at work and it's pretty good. Not as good as using micro-USB cable or the Windows 10 adapter, ex not vibrations ;-), but nevertheless easy to pair and use with Xbox Cloud Gaming on any PC
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Aug 20, 2009
8968 posts
4228 upvotes
I have constant bluetooth related issues with the Xbox One controllers but I suspect its more that Bluetooth is just awful than the controller itself. I ended up getting one of the wireless dongles which works pretty well, though finding it in stock is often hit and miss.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10514 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I have constant bluetooth related issues with the Xbox One controllers but I suspect its more that Bluetooth is just awful than the controller itself. I ended up getting one of the wireless dongles which works pretty well, though finding it in stock is often hit and miss.
why not just connect it wired? better latency also, and weighs less with batteries removed