Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1236 posts
540 upvotes

Affinity Photo Win/Mac/iPad $34.99

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Serif
Serif is running their occasional sale on their products. The link points to Photo. The iPad version is $13.99. I’ve been using it for a few years after giving up on PS due the need to “rent” Creative Cloud. With Serif products, you buy it and receive regular point updates. I bought it at around 1.5 and it’s now 1.9x.

The editing tools are deep and powerful. The main failing is no digital mgt tool such as in Lightroom. With a 90 day free trial, you could try it out to see if it works for you.

Training is available on the site, through Lynda.com (often free through your library) and Udemy.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 7th, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1345 posts
1190 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Thanks for the post. I purchased all three of Affinity's Windows programs last year in a similar sale, and it has been worth it. There is a bit of a learning curve switching from Adobe's software, but nothing significant enough to discourage one from making the change.
Nov 3, 2008
101 posts
141 upvotes
I'm someone that's been in the graphic design business full time for 25 years and using Adobe products every day. Last year I bought the Affinity products and I've been trying to ween myself away from Adobe.

For those on the fence here's my progress...

Photo --> 99% replaced PhotoShop. The need has to be really severe before I'll open PhotoShop for a project.
Designer --> 75% replaced Illustrator. It's my first go to when I start a new project, but Illustrator still gets opened about once a week for a particular thing I can't do in Designer.
Publisher --> 0% replaced InDesign. Data merging is the backbone of our production and without that feature in Publisher it's dead to me.

NOTE: If you're using InDesign then you probably still need Illustrator even if you have Designer. If you copy a vector from Designer it will paste into InDesign as a linked (or embedded) object. If you want your vectors to be stay "native" in InDesign then you'll need to paste into Illustrator first and then copy into InDesign. For some reason when you paste into Illustrator it stays "native", so you'd wonder why it doesn't work into InDesign but it doesn't.
Nov 3, 2008
101 posts
141 upvotes
gotglint wrote: thanks! great to know. i'm in a similar boat. i purchased them just to boost competition.

im curious...what can't you do in Designer that you need Illustrator for?

please keep us updated with future versions
From a feature standpoint I jump back into Illustrator for doing warp and perspective transformations. From a "buggy" standpoint I go back to Illustrator sometimes because merging objects in Designer doesn't always give me results I expect.
Nov 23, 2004
909 posts
1608 upvotes
Ontario
Been incredibly happy with Photo for the couple years I've had it! As a casual hobbyist photographer, I simply couldn't justify shilling out a monthly subscription to Adobe. Photo, and Skylum Luminar have fully replaced my old Adobe stuff, receive regular updates, and are quite affordable one-time costs for a user like me.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1317 posts
1068 upvotes
I have affinity suite of tools on my iPad and Mac. To be honest I do like affinity but I seem to always gravitate back to Adobe photoshop. Tho if you give it enough time I’m sure you can learn to replace photoshop. It hasn’t happened for me yet but at this price it is worth the investment
Mar 26, 2012
138 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
As an amateur photographer (just family photos and photos of my kids), is there any benefit for me with this? Or is it geared more towards professionals? I have a DSLR and my iPhone and looking to up my picture taking game and have better prints.
Mar 25, 2008
269 posts
1151 upvotes
Metrotown / Burnaby …
xTheRebellion wrote: As an amateur photographer (just family photos and photos of my kids), is there any benefit for me with this? Or is it geared more towards professionals? I have a DSLR and my iPhone and looking to up my picture taking game and have better prints.

If you are on Windows 10 then just get the free PhotoScape X.... http://x.photoscape.org/
I've been using PhotoScape for a decade now and gravitate to it for quick edits, batch processing, etc. as opposed to using Photoshop or Corel PaintShop... it doesn't have AI etc but still has more than plenty to cover your use case.

(Note: if you've got Win 7, you won't be able to install PhotoScape X... but prior versions are ok as well) Either way give it a try and see how you like it.