Shopping Discussion

Serious Laptop Dilema...Can't decide which one to buy !!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2009 1:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17609 posts
4590 upvotes
Toronto

Serious Laptop Dilema...Can't decide which one to buy !!

Guy's I really need another laptop badly....I am trying to choose between Four different laptop deals right now but can't decide which one is the best...

1) HP 15.6" Laptop featuring Intel Pentium Processor T4300 (G60-531CA) - Black for $528
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=28239

2) HP 16" Laptop featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6500 (DV6-1247CL)- Eng- Refurbished- Online Only $649
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=26955

3) HP G60-551CA Notebook PC $549 (only 4 instock per store)
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

4) Sony VAIO 15.5" Laptop featuring Intel Pentium Processor T4300 (VGNNW265DW) - White $699
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=25253

I like the price for 1 but don't really like the specs and looks too much
I like 2 for the looks and specs but dislike it cause of refurbrished and only 90 days warranty...
I like 3 for the specs but don't like the looks and the fact that only $50 off
I like 4 because it is a Sony and has blu ray but the processer is not even core 2 duo and it is already and has been that price for a while now

Can't decide what to do....someone please guide me....

Please don't just say it's personal preference as I am asking for you're preference!
21 replies
Apr 19, 2004
846 posts
293 upvotes
Earth
I bought 1 year ago for $550 a Compaq CQ50-109ca
There are HP models that are the same
The thing is a piece of crap

To give you an idea I only use it for Word, and web browsing. Nothing is really installed on it other then what came with it.

I have serious issues keeping the wireless nic card active. Every time it has hibernated and I power it back up the wireless nic is turned off. Only way to fix it is to turn it off pull the battery and restart.

The SD card reader only works half the time

It runs to hot. HP solution is to run the fan all the time. It was part of a BIOS change. If its on a regular desk and no vents are covered it sometimes just powers off for no reason. I htink because of over heating. I have to put blocks under it to raise it up to keep it cooler. And its running nothing.

The HP solution centre is usless. It fails to install patches half the time.

Vista is now having issues patching this POS.

Some times it does not connect to the web (maybe Microsofts problem)

I contacted HP twice via web tech support while in warranty with very deatailed information. They failed to acknowledge I had an issue. I just recently called HP and now its out of warranty. They would be glad to help with a credit card now. :mad:

Their free online web support does not work on POS. It hangs the notebook

The BIOS has no options

Other then that the thing runs ok, fast enought etc... but waiting for a sledge hammer to go on sale at princess auto to fix it.

Booooo HP

Tip buy anything else
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1190 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
Get a vostro v13.. I regretted getting the Adamo over this. If i had only knew :(
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6697 posts
470 upvotes
GT'eh
Go with Sony, avoid all HP laptops like the plague....There's a reason HP laptops come back week after week to the geek squad, and theres'a reason BB tends to push, stock and sell more HP's than any other laptop....Get the Sony & thank me later.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17609 posts
4590 upvotes
Toronto
hseeng wrote: I bought 1 year ago for $550 a Compaq CQ50-109ca
There are HP models that are the same
The thing is a piece of crap

To give you an idea I only use it for Word, and web browsing. Nothing is really installed on it other then what came with it.

I have serious issues keeping the wireless nic card active. Every time it has hibernated and I power it back up the wireless nic is turned off. Only way to fix it is to turn it off pull the battery and restart.

The SD card reader only works half the time

It runs to hot. HP solution is to run the fan all the time. It was part of a BIOS change. If its on a regular desk and no vents are covered it sometimes just powers off for no reason. I htink because of over heating. I have to put blocks under it to raise it up to keep it cooler. And its running nothing.

The HP solution centre is usless. It fails to install patches half the time.

Vista is now having issues patching this POS.

Some times it does not connect to the web (maybe Microsofts problem)

I contacted HP twice via web tech support while in warranty with very deatailed information. They failed to acknowledge I had an issue. I just recently called HP and now its out of warranty. They would be glad to help with a credit card now. :mad:

Their free online web support does not work on POS. It hangs the notebook

The BIOS has no options

Other then that the thing runs ok, fast enought etc... but waiting for a sledge hammer to go on sale at princess auto to fix it.

Booooo HP

Tip buy anything else
Neovingian wrote: Go with Sony, avoid all HP laptops like the plague....There's a reason HP laptops come back week after week to the geek squad, and theres'a reason BB tends to push, stock and sell more HP's than any other laptop....Get the Sony & thank me later.
I know a lot of people hate hp's...if it's these models that are bad I can understand, although I currently have 2 hp HDX notebooks which have never given me a problem, although were quite pricy.

So from these laptop's, you guys think sony is the best DEAL?
Dec 15, 2007
132 posts
17 upvotes
i own two hp laptops, one is a dv3510nr, absolutely love this laptop, no problems, i bought it brand new, has centrino 2 p7350, 4 gig ram, 320 gb hd, 13;3 led, backlit keybOard, win 7 ultimate.
I just got a brand new laptop dv4-1220us for $350 on ebay, just installed windows 7 ultimate, sweet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17609 posts
4590 upvotes
Toronto
minidisciskewl wrote: i own two hp laptops, one is a dv3510nr, absolutely love this laptop, no problems, i bought it brand new, has centrino 2 p7350, 4 gig ram, 320 gb hd, 13;3 led, backlit keybOard, win 7 ultimate.
I just got a brand new laptop dv4-1220us for $350 on ebay, just installed windows 7 ultimate, sweet.
I have the hdx x16 1160us and the hdx x18 1378ca....both are great laptops which is why I'm confused on whether I should buy another hp or try a sony this time
Dec 15, 2007
132 posts
17 upvotes
i owned a sony vaio, i wasn't to happy with the service i had with sony, they had a battery recall at that time.
Hp on the other hand was good, actually had spilled coffee on my hp at that time, thank god for my accidental, they repaired and shipped back in the same week.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17609 posts
4590 upvotes
Toronto
edmundw215 wrote: http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... ode=WW&=&=

get this one! even it says OOS online....it doesn't reflect the in-store stocks....so you can check your local Staples to see....and if u have coupons then it will make it even better deal....

the spec on the laptop is pretty decent for its price
Yeah I saw that one as well but I'd prefer to stay away from toshiba, gateway, acer, and emachines.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1331 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
These might be a bit above your budget but they're highly rated in all areas:

ul30 and ul80VT from Asus. Just read some reviews and check around.
Dec 15, 2007
132 posts
17 upvotes
i am going with #2 from bestbuy, i have bought refurbished before, plus if you have a gold credit card, you double the manufacture warranty

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)