Automotive

Serious question: Are you a selfish driver?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1309 posts
611 upvotes

Serious question: Are you a selfish driver?

Are you a selfish driver? Do you make illegal U-turns, right in front of the "no U-turn" sign? Do you make that left turn even after the advance turn signal has turned off? Do you park right in front of the dry cleaner/bakery/coffee shop so you can "just run in quickly" even if there's an open parking spot 10 steps away? Do you park in handicapped/family/carpool/etc. parking spots? Do you do other things behind the wheel that are wrong or illegal?

Why? Like, really... seriously... why are you a dick?

I'm hoping the anonymity of the internet will allow for some serious answers here. I just want to understand what goes through a person's mind when they do things like that in their vehicles. I'm also curious what kind of car you drive, because I have a theory about that, too.
40 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32088 posts
19312 upvotes
Toronto
I am a considerate and law abiding citizen ... Winking Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38241 posts
24426 upvotes
Center of Universe
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15506 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
I drive barefoot and bareass.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Oct 24, 2009
398 posts
96 upvotes
The most selfish I am is when the car in front of me is driving at an infuriatingly low speed or when someone abruptly changes into the lane I am in or without giving signal. Then I tailgate those @$$holes for as long as I can.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2625 posts
682 upvotes
Ottawa
Nope. I’m very courteous ESP to 18Wheelers.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15268 posts
6332 upvotes
RFD
I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I try to make it a habit to do everything I can by the book so I don't create bad habits down the road. That means no to what you asked for the most part.

Or...the only selfish thing I'd do is if someone cut me off and riles me up like the poster above, but I try to keep my composure
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9675 posts
9206 upvotes
I drive AMGs, I am a dick the sec I start my engine. :D

I do zipper right. I am courteous to other drivers in traffic jams. But when you are in the wrong, I'll let you know. (Stopping at no stopping. Illegal turns etc)
Last edited by Xtrema on Jun 27th, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13019 posts
7809 upvotes
Brampton
I'd consider myself selfish (I'm not as courtesy as I used to be, because I always regret it later like letting someone in and then they do 10 under the limit or they're a texter) but those are examples of being a dumbass wreckless a-hole.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4085 posts
3363 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I didn't buy an expensive car so I could follow all the rules like a pleb.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5086 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
^ dick ;)

< considerate - seen too many wrecks and still have bad dreams from pulling some barely alive people out of them.
Last edited by NewsyL on Jun 27th, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15100 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
V8 Sports Car

Period

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21057 posts
5667 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I break no rules. Source: Corolla driver.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
May 17, 2018
277 posts
125 upvotes
I honestly try not to do anything wrong/illegal, but sometimes I make mistakes.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Apr 23, 2018
25 posts
21 upvotes
Symplr wrote: I honestly try not to do anything wrong/illegal, but sometimes I make mistakes.
Same here. I try to be courteous and responsible on the road
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13460 posts
7726 upvotes
I consider myself a bit selfish in most aspects of life ( except fatherhood), so I imagine driving is the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1309 posts
611 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I consider myself a bit selfish in most aspects of life ( except fatherhood), so I imagine driving is the same.
Finally... a serious response. Thanks, @Gutty96.

Would you care to expand on that a bit? What have you done behind the wheel that you knew was wrong, but you did it anyways? And how did you justify it in your mind? Also, what vehicle do you drive?
Jul 16, 2009
267 posts
99 upvotes
I use to be a selfish driver until I started taking transit to work.

Now that I'm a weekend driver, I consider myself a courteous driver. I think it had to do with the stress level. I'm pretty easy going on the weekend.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4353 posts
1450 upvotes
Brampton
I live and drive in the GTA... question answered.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2808 posts
2041 upvotes
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

I just chill driving. Whats the rush? There's only negativity bound to happen if you aren't courteous to your fellow driver.
Smash that like button!