Real Estate

Served n4 last month tenant late again ....

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 10:44 am
[OP]
May 27, 2013
458 posts
32 upvotes

Served n4 last month tenant late again ....

Tenant is always late with rent . I served a n4 last month and the paid before the 14 days was up .

What do I do now they are late again this month ?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12221 posts
8631 upvotes
Edmonton
wantboost1 wrote: Tenant is always late with rent . I served a n4 last month and the paid before the 14 days was up .

What do I do now they are late again this month ?
File another N4 to document them being late again. When their yearly lease (making an assumption here) is up, you can collect all your N4's and file an N8 to terminate their lease. They will serve as documentation for that process. If they're on a monthly lease, you can file as per the N8 instructions anytime.

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
7177 posts
1169 upvotes
London
Try an L9 they'll be hit for the LTB fees as well. N4 is great when they DON'T pay pretty pointless otherwise. N8 at the end. LTB doesn't order evictions anymore anyways. It's broken and unfixable.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14438 posts
10691 upvotes
A broken system. We never hear about this stuff in the media though...or get any acknowledgement from the “you know whos” of the board.
[OP]
May 27, 2013
458 posts
32 upvotes
Can I charged a late fee for each day late inassume they would have to sign a agreement ??

How should I handle this. Should I send n4 even if a few days late . Since they are constantly late .

Is it wise to get personal with tenant as its affecting personal life or just keep it strictly professional

*should I tell them I will issue n4 each time they r late
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4021 posts
1920 upvotes
Toronto
wantboost1 wrote: Can I charged a late fee for each day late inassume they would have to sign a agreement ??

How should I handle this. Should I send n4 even if a few days late . Since they are constantly late .

Is it wise to get personal with tenant as its affecting personal life or just keep it strictly professional

*should I tell them I will issue n4 each time they r late
Do the N4 even if just 1 day late. Basically you are collecting evidence to use for when you file the N8 (to evict based on constant late rent payments), so the more N4s you have on record the easier the process will be.

I'm not sure what the LTB thinks is acceptable for how many late payments are required before they deem it excessive and allow the eviction.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1893 posts
919 upvotes
Go through the motions and serve the notice. Maybe you will get lucky and get someone reasonable when you try to file N8 at year end.

Maybe find another tenant, and ask the new tenant to adopt you? You can have up to 4 parents on your birth certificate. Just add your new tenant as parent on your birth certificate.