[OP]
Oct 1, 2011
269 posts
47 upvotes
Quebec City

$49/m-Intel Xeon E3-1240 16GB RAM 120GB SSD 5TB Bandwidth DDoS Protected

Deal Link:
Price:
I've been searching for a good deal on a New York dedicated server to replace my VPS in New York for my VPN network. I came across this deal from ServerMania and ordered a server. Setup time was fairly quick and the servers are pretty fast to the UK & Canada & across the US. Hopefully this helps any other RFDers that are looking for servers.

Intel Xeon E3-1240
16 GB RAM
1 TB SATA or 120 GB SSD
5 TB Bandwidth
DDoS Protection
Limited to first 100 orders!

Black Friday Promotion $49.00/mo (normally $109.00)
Link: https://www.servermania.com/black-friday-specials.htm

Other Features

Complete DDoS Protection: Servers are protected against against all 25 classes of DDoS attacks (including floods and Layer 7 attacks)

Enterprise-Grade Components: Our servers are outfitted with Enterprise-grade hardware, and performance tuned to exceed architectural standards in order to transcend benchmarks.

24/7 Expert Support Fleet: We’ve got some of the quickest response times in the industry, at no additional cost - and some of the best customer service, to boot.

100% Network Uptime: Do to our extensive network infrastructure, Server Mania can provide its customers with a 100% Network Uptime Guarantee.
Images
nomnomnom
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
Judging strictly by specs rather than network upstreams, OVH's SYS line can't really be beat:
http://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/essential-servers/
Depending on what you need it for, same amount of money gets you a crappier CPU, double the RAM, 4x the HDD or 3x the SSD), a lot X the bandwidth, and double the IPs.

$6 more buys you a better CPU and all the above.

Network quality however... it's acceptable. That's about it.
Feb 2, 2015
590 posts
219 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Judging strictly by specs rather than network upstreams, OVH's SYS line can't really be beat:
http://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/essential-servers/
Depending on what you need it for, same amount of money gets you a crappier CPU, double the RAM, 4x the HDD or 3x the SSD), a lot X the bandwidth, and double the IPs.

$6 more buys you a better CPU and all the above.

Network quality however... it's acceptable. That's about it.
I think OP needs a US-based server for VPN.

Amazed how OP needs dedis for VPN though, unless he is running a business on VPN, if it is for personal use a dedi is definitely an overkill.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
spammy wrote: I think OP needs a US-based server for VPN.
OVH supplies both Canadian and US IPs.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2011
269 posts
47 upvotes
Quebec City
spammy wrote: I think OP needs a US-based server for VPN.

Amazed how OP needs dedis for VPN though, unless he is running a business on VPN, if it is for personal use a dedi is definitely an overkill.
It's for a VPN / Proxy business, otherwise a dedicated would be extreme overkill :D
death_hawk wrote: OVH supplies both Canadian and US IPs.
I wasn't aware of that, I'll have to look at that up. Edit: I think that is only for their VPS and they ran out of US ip's for their dedi servers.
nomnomnom
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2869 posts
366 upvotes
These are nice deals. Do they have test IPs for latency?

I pay $50 USD/month for an Amazon VPS for remote desktop because the latency/stability is good, but EC2 has crashed on me twice now and these things have 3 times the RAM, my only concern is uptime as I can't let it crash.

Are these guys very stable with the network/power?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
crspyjohn wrote: I wasn't aware of that, I'll have to look at that up. Edit: I think that is only for their VPS and they ran out of US ip's for their dedi servers.
Yeah I have a bunch of US IPs for VPN and other purposes.
I have a block of Canadian IPs for VPN as well.

I didn't know they ran out of US IPs though. That's mildly entertaining and at the same time terrifying.

EDIT: I can't confirm nor deny as I can't see the country without actually ordering more IPs.
I don't want to throw $24 at the problem just to win/lose an internet argument.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2011
269 posts
47 upvotes
Quebec City
death_hawk wrote: Yeah I have a bunch of US IPs for VPN and other purposes.
I have a block of Canadian IPs for VPN as well.

I didn't know they ran out of US IPs though. That's mildly entertaining and at the same time terrifying.

EDIT: I can't confirm nor deny as I can't see the country without actually ordering more IPs.
I don't want to throw $24 at the problem just to win/lose an internet argument.
Is this for VPS or Dedicated Server? I know you can order single US ip addrses on their VPS but on the dedicated servers I was unable to order any US ip addresses.
nomnomnom
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
Dedis.
I don't have any VPSes with them.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2011
269 posts
47 upvotes
Quebec City
death_hawk wrote: Dedis.
I don't have any VPSes with them.
That is good to know, I'm going to reach out to their sales team again.
nomnomnom
Jan 25, 2013
6 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I can't see this anywhere on the website - is this USD or CAD?
Banned
Feb 3, 2013
35 posts
23 upvotes
Whitby
For DDOS protection, CloudFlare's free level of service is amazing.
Oct 14, 2006
199 posts
17 upvotes
OVH SYS is always OOS...

I'm with Dacentec. Opteron 1381/8GB/2x2TB for 20$US + 2,50$ for a /29 netblock. Very happy of them!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
ohmer wrote: OVH SYS is always OOS...

I'm with Dacentec. Opteron 1381/8GB/2x2TB for 20$US + 2,50$ for a /29 netblock. Very happy of them!
Think that's bad? You should try Kimsufi....

But the rare times you can actually get into SYS or K it's well worth it.
I worked it out once where over a 3 year period OVH makes like $20 per server.
I don't know how they do it.
Nov 24, 2013
131 posts
39 upvotes
MAPLE
What's the network bandwidth and cost of bandwith (i.e.: free traffic allowed per month) per server? I saw some offer free 20Tb/month but the server only has 100Mbps bandwidth (if you are serving 10 users each only has 10Mbps) - 89USD/month. Also it's unclear if traffic is counted both ways (cloud providers usually only charge outgoing traffic, but some places charges both ways; heck, even teksavvy only count one way traffic: download).
Oct 14, 2006
199 posts
17 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Think that's bad? You should try Kimsufi....

But the rare times you can actually get into SYS or K it's well worth it.
I worked it out once where over a 3 year period OVH makes like $20 per server.
I don't know how they do it.
Oh really? Why this's bad? It's not a high end server but this stable and enough for my needs.

Kimsufi is a little better for RAM/CPU but they are all single-disk (no raid) with smaller drives. And their "support" 8/5 on their public forum is complete non-sense. Dacentec reply quickly 24/7 to their tickets in my personal control panel. Kimsufi just sucks.