• May 9th, 2021 4:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!

Service B for Subaru

Looking to get Service B done... yeah big bucks but still under warranty so just gonna do it.

Any folks can suggest dealership in north or west GTA?

Presently looking at Maple Subaru or Budds Subaru. Any feedback on these?

Barrie Subaru costs like $100 less but twice as far.

Thanks.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
46 replies
Jul 29, 2019
612 posts
474 upvotes
I would go to Mississauga Subaru. It is a corporate store. Meaning no middle man or group, basically owned by Subaru. There isn't pressure on workers to pressure you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
VanillaDonut wrote: I would go to Mississauga Subaru. It is a corporate store. Meaning no middle man or group, basically owned by Subaru. There isn't pressure on workers to pressure you.
That would be closer but have read mostly unfavourable reviews about them. Then again most dealerships been looking at have not received glowing service reviews.

Have you used that location recently, say in last year or so?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Sep 25, 2018
867 posts
1617 upvotes
How much is your quote? Service B doesn't look like a lot. The only things that actually cost some money are oil change, tire rotation, and brake service. Should probably be 300 or less.
Dec 25, 2006
618 posts
538 upvotes
Winnipeg
Why take it to a Subaru dealer? Just because it's under warranty doesn't mean you need to have it done there.....
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Jul 29, 2019
612 posts
474 upvotes
georvu wrote: That would be closer but have read mostly unfavourable reviews about them. Then again most dealerships been looking at have not received glowing service reviews.

Have you used that location recently, say in last year or so?
oh I haven't used there service department. I just do the work myself such as oil changes or go to my mechanic. You just need to make sure you keep track of the receipts for the products you buy and the mechanics you went to. Not going to the dealership won't violate your warranty as long as you have the receipts. Warranty is 3 years so you shouldn't have any issues unless you bought extended warranty.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14990 posts
9393 upvotes
Toronto
most subaru places charge the same for each service, i would just recommend taking it to an independent that specializes in subies. I've been to tuning in mississaua for things.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1060 posts
1330 upvotes
Calgary
Service B is a rip off, it’s just a service A with a brake service and tire rotation added to it.
Service A $100
Service B $400-500
DIY or go to independent shop.
Nov 29, 2013
409 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
Can independent shops do Service B-like things? How much should one be willing to pay for this?
Nov 20, 2018
94 posts
81 upvotes
APEX auto in Markham charges $75 for Service A and $260 for Service B.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
AlicW93740 wrote: How much is your quote? Service B doesn't look like a lot. The only things that actually cost some money are oil change, tire rotation, and brake service. Should probably be 300 or less.
About $460 before tax for few GTA dealerships that called... Barrie $330 but much further.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
warpdwhim wrote: Why take it to a Subaru dealer? Just because it's under warranty doesn't mean you need to have it done there.....
Don't normally go to dealerships as started tire changes diy. Prior service A was at a nearby garage but they are really just an oil and tire place.

Don't have expertise for brake service and figured start a rapport with a dealership at least during warranty 3 years/60k kms.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
koffey wrote: most subaru places charge the same for each service, i would just recommend taking it to an independent that specializes in subies. I've been to tuning in mississaua for things.
Did you mean Touge Tuning?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
sonpanich wrote: APEX auto in Markham charges $75 for Service A and $260 for Service B.
Bit far but I believe they are highly rated and specialize in Subaru?

Do you know what payment forms they take?

Was thinking of IGarage as well but they only take cash. Both are about an hour away.

Nov 20, 2018
94 posts
81 upvotes
Unsure as they are currently closed and I haven't had a chance to bring in the car yet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Another wrinkle.

With present conditions been driving much less but Subaru suggests 6 months/10,000 kms service. Makes no sense when the oil is synthetic and so yearly I would say for oil changes.

The Service B is for 20,000 kms but have less then 10,000 kms right now.

Funny enough when asked for quote for Service B... one of the dealership gave quote but said if less then 10,000 kms then just get another Service A and wait for Service B when closer to 20,000 kms.
Note this summer will be two years since bought.

Suggestions?

Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14990 posts
9393 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Did you mean Touge Tuning?
yes, sorry. Question if you are leasing, you should do the service, TT will do it for about $340 tax included. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a service B with that many kms, I would only do an oil change. Wait until the 20k mark to get B.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4756 posts
2250 upvotes
georvu wrote: Another wrinkle.

With present conditions been driving much less but Subaru suggests 6 months/10,000 kms service. Makes no sense when the oil is synthetic and so yearly I would say for oil changes.

The Service B is for 20,000 kms but have less then 10,000 kms right now.

Funny enough when asked for quote for Service B... one of the dealership gave quote but said if less then 10,000 kms then just get another Service A and wait for Service B when closer to 20,000 kms.
Note this summer will be two years since bought.

Suggestions?
Not sure I understood. The car is going to be 2 years old, but it has only 10,000 kms so far?

You already did Service A, which includes the oil change. How long ago was that (in time)?

I would definitely not do service B based on time, but until you get to the recommended distance interval. However, It sounds like you have a car with extremely low mileage. I'd probably want to change the oil once in a while... at least once a year (I agree with you), but I's go 18 months at the very least.

Obviously, the problem is that you have a brand new car and want to do everything by the book for warranty purposes... but you are over-servicing the car...
Nov 18, 2019
211 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
georvu wrote: Bit far but I believe they are highly rated and specialize in Subaru?

Do you know what payment forms they take?

Was thinking of IGarage as well but they only take cash. Both are about an hour away.
Apex take credit, debit and cash.

I am loving the new paperless system they have adopted for scheduling and invoices.

It takes me around 1 hr to get to them nowadays, but it's worth it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18852 posts
2535 upvotes
Woodbridge
VanillaDonut wrote: I would go to Mississauga Subaru. It is a corporate store. Meaning no middle man or group, basically owned by Subaru. There isn't pressure on workers to pressure you.
I didn't know that, thanks. I will pass this to my boy who had issues where he bought his in Brampton.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)