• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 4:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1818 posts
175 upvotes

Service History on car in a third party dealership lot

Hi looking at a 2016 Honda Civic, currently on a lot at a BMW dealership.

How would one find any maintenance records the vehicle has? Honda does not seem to be willing to give out this information unless the vehicle was serviced there. Any ideas?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1285 posts
978 upvotes
HAMILTON
Honda would not have any service history unless it was serviced there so unable to provide and maybe not anyways due to privacy.

If the seller dealer does not provide, you really have no way to find the history unless you found the previous owner and asked them.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
If you can't get it from the dealership you're buying it from, or from Honda, you are pretty much SOL. However, being that it's only 3yrs old, with low kms hopefully, realistically how much maintenance could have been missed? You can change the oil, check the brakes, tires, cabin air filter, engine air filter and you should be good. But be sure to factor in the cost of this service into your offer when you are ready to buy the car. Be sure to have it inspected by a third party company before purchase too. CAA used to offer this service but not sure if they still do.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2965 posts
2871 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Like others said.. If its low mileage it's not that big of a deal because its a fairly new civic. Just have it independently inspected first to see the condition. You can also ask what they traded it in for (more for curiosity).
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1204 upvotes
Interesting...

When my friend got a VW he called VW Canada, they were able to tell him when and which dealership was the car serviced in, without him really proving he owned the car.

Then when calling the specific dealership, they were able to say what maintenance was done and recall done, etc.

Of course the dealership won't know if the car was maintained at "Joe's car shop around the corner of your house".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1818 posts
175 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote: Honda would not have any service history unless it was serviced there so unable to provide and maybe not anyways due to privacy.

If the seller dealer does not provide, you really have no way to find the history unless you found the previous owner and asked them.
That's weird, all I want is mileage and service done. I don't care who had the car, don't understand how this is a privacy issue.
fusion2k2k wrote: If you can't get it from the dealership you're buying it from, or from Honda, you are pretty much SOL. However, being that it's only 3yrs old, with low kms hopefully, realistically how much maintenance could have been missed? You can change the oil, check the brakes, tires, cabin air filter, engine air filter and you should be good. But be sure to factor in the cost of this service into your offer when you are ready to buy the car. Be sure to have it inspected by a third party company before purchase too. CAA used to offer this service but not sure if they still do.
Yeah CAA provides a list of CAA approved facilities to do an auto inspection. $130 for members, $150 for non-members. The thing is that the dealership does not sound willing for me to take the car off the lot, due to liability issues.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: That's weird, all I want is mileage and service done. I don't care who had the car, don't understand how this is a privacy issue.
Yeah CAA provides a list of CAA approved facilities to do an auto inspection. $130 for members, $150 for non-members. The thing is that the dealership does not sound willing for me to take the car off the lot, due to liability issues.

Maybe Honda is refusing because of their policies due to privacy, or the car may not have been serviced at Honda. A used car is always a bit of a roll of the dice, which is why some people prefer to go new.

If they aren't willing to let you take the car off the property and take it to a nearby reputable garage, then they obviously don't want to sell the car, or have something to hide. Lots of cars out there, if there is nothing available currently besides this car, wait a few weeks and I'm sure there will be something else similar. Civics are a dime a dozen.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
676 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: How would one find any maintenance records the vehicle has? Honda does not seem to be willing to give out this information unless the vehicle was serviced there. Any ideas?
If the car is not serviced by a Honda dealer, what can you expect Honda to tell you?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2050 posts
551 upvotes
Woodbridge
How many clicks does the car have.
Most likely all that the service that the car has had done are oil changes, so that might explain the lack of service history. However take it to your independent mechanic to have the car looked at for hidden issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1818 posts
175 upvotes
Car is a 2016 with 43K on it.

Called the dealer Toronto Honda where the car was sold. Was difficult to gather maintenance history. Had to go through sales, the sales guy was nice enough to let me know that the car was in the dealership once a year. But would not dive into any more details.

Here is the cars carproof. Car had Krown undercoating done twice which I guess is a good sign. Car come with old winter tires though and rusted steelies.