• Apr 6th, 2021 11:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1148 posts
295 upvotes
Vancouver

Services required for boiler and indirect hot water tank

Got a Viessmann boiler and an indirect hot water tank.

What are some regular annual services that are required?

I heard indirect hot water tank may not need flushing? as the water is heated in the boiler and the sendiment, if any, are in the boiler?
Not sure about that.

Thanks in advance.
Images
  • 20210201_013324025_iOS.jpg
14 replies
Jan 19, 2013
582 posts
367 upvotes
Ottawa
Boiler maintenance should be done annually as per manufacturer
Some things that are checked/done as necessary like cleaning the flame sensor, igniter, condensate trap, combustion chamber, checking safeties, gaskets and the air/gas mixture to see how its performing.
Not a whole lot to do on the indirect tank, you could do it yourself... flush sediment from the bottom of the tank, check the anode, and test the pressure/temp relief
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1148 posts
295 upvotes
Vancouver
I should know how to flush the tank. I think anode rod only needs to be replaced every 6 years or so.

The boiler maintenance sounds intimidating.....do most people normally hire a professional to help them do the boiler maintenance? I always think twice before hiring someone to do maintenance as they may break something inadvertently or upsell their services.
1chinaman wrote: Boiler maintenance should be done annually as per manufacturer
Some things that are checked/done as necessary like cleaning the flame sensor, igniter, condensate trap, combustion chamber, checking safeties, gaskets and the air/gas mixture to see how its performing.
Not a whole lot to do on the indirect tank, you could do it yourself... flush sediment from the bottom of the tank, check the anode, and test the pressure/temp relief
Jan 19, 2013
582 posts
367 upvotes
Ottawa
Fantastical wrote: I should know how to flush the tank. I think anode rod only needs to be replaced every 6 years or so.

The boiler maintenance sounds intimidating.....do most people normally hire a professional to help them do the boiler maintenance? I always think twice before hiring someone to do maintenance as they may break something inadvertently or upsell their services.
Boiler maintenance is for the professionals to do....
Look for a boiler tech, regular furnace tech may not know the ins and outs of modcon boilers
Big outfits will probably be a hit or miss with the tech they send, try a locally owned company
Once you find a guy, always ask for him to be sent
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1148 posts
295 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. How often would you suggest boiler to be serviced?
1chinaman wrote: Boiler maintenance is for the professionals to do....
Look for a boiler tech, regular furnace tech may not know the ins and outs of modcon boilers
Big outfits will probably be a hit or miss with the tech they send, try a locally owned company
Once you find a guy, always ask for him to be sent
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2878 posts
1250 upvotes
Woodbridge
You have got one of the best boilers “Viessman” but still I would suggest you to have it checked every year. I am not sure if there is a bylaw still that dictates to take the readings in flue and leave a tag on boiler. Let me dig into it and I will share the latest info as soon as I find it.
Fantastical wrote: Thanks. How often would you suggest boiler to be serviced?
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1148 posts
295 upvotes
Vancouver
I live in BC. If you have the boiler service requirements in BC, i would be appreciated if you can pass that info to me, thanks.
newlyborn wrote: @pootza do you by any chance have the online reference to boiler service requirements in ON?
Jan 19, 2013
582 posts
367 upvotes
Ottawa
Fantastical wrote: Thanks. How often would you suggest boiler to be serviced?
Boiler maintenance should be done annually as per manufacturer
The only boilers must require annual checks here in ontario are for old style natural draft(goes up the chimney) boilers under 300kbtuh in residential applications
Last edited by 1chinaman on Apr 5th, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1148 posts
295 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. I had a read.

It mandates a check "only when" a heating contractor enters a home with a boiler....so, if we don't call any heating contractors to enter our home, this wouldn't trigger the mandatory check requirement then?

It does suggest an annual check by a professional.

"TSSA is legally requiring that all heating contractors perform a CO safety check when a technician enters a home with a boiler."

Jan 19, 2013
582 posts
367 upvotes
Ottawa
Fantastical wrote: Thanks. I had a read.

It mandates a check "only when" a heating contractor enters a home with a boiler....so, if we don't call any heating contractors to enter our home, this wouldn't trigger the mandatory check requirement then?

It does suggest an annual check by a professional.

"TSSA is legally requiring that all heating contractors perform a CO safety check when a technician enters a home with a boiler."
Theres no mandatory check on any modcon(what you have) boilers here in ontario afaik
Not to say if a tech does see something walking by thats not upto code/hazard, it ll need to get fixed
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2156 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: @pootza do you by any chance have the online reference to boiler service requirements in ON?
3. (3) Every owner and operator of a boiler, pressure vessel, fitting or piping shall ensure that the boiler, pressure vessel, fitting or piping, as the case may be, is maintained in safe working condition and operated safely. O. Reg. 420/17, s. 3 (2).

https://www.tssa.org/en/boilers-pressur ... 1-2021.pdf

Service/maintenance would be dictated by the manufacturer so it should in the operator/service manuals.