Cell Phones

To set up an Apple watch does the iphone need cellular?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2021 9:46 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17711 posts
764 upvotes

To set up an Apple watch does the iphone need cellular?

My wife has a new Apple watch 6 and wants to activate it but our iPhones won't arrive for a few months but we a friend offered us his old iPhone 6s to use to set up her watch. The issue is the phone isn't on a network at all.

Can you use a wifi only cellphone to set up an Apple watch or does it need to be activated on a network?
Last edited by Super strokey on Apr 15th, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17413 posts
3921 upvotes
Toronto
From what I recall when I set up a watch for a friend, all I needed was WiFi for the phone and a Bluetooth connection to the watch.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7356 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Super strokey wrote: My wife has a new Apple watch 6 and wants to activate it but our iPhones won't arrive for a few months but we a friend offered us his old iPhone 6 to use to set up her watch. The issue is the phone isn't on a network at all.

Can you use a wifi only cellphone to set up an Apple watch or does it need to be activated on a network?
Note that the watch may more or less have to be wiped to pair it with a new iPhone...
Feb 4, 2017
54 posts
9 upvotes
I think you need a 6s or newer to setup an Apple Watch but as soon as your new phones arrive, when you want to pair it to the new phones it’s going to wipe the watch and set up all over again. I would wait till you get your new phones.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17711 posts
764 upvotes
IBIubbleTea wrote: I think you need a 6s or newer to setup an Apple Watch but as soon as your new phones arrive, when you want to pair it to the new phones it’s going to wipe the watch and set up all over again. I would wait till you get your new phones.
It is a 6s, i will correct the first email.
Apr 11, 2011
409 posts
129 upvotes
Memramcook
IBIubbleTea wrote: I think you need a 6s or newer to setup an Apple Watch but as soon as your new phones arrive, when you want to pair it to the new phones it’s going to wipe the watch and set up all over again. I would wait till you get your new phones.
I did that a few times when my wife's iPhoneSE was having problems. I don't remember it being a big problem or very difficult to do. She was able to use it no problem. When she got her new phone, it was easy to pair it.

If it is a few months, I would pair it. Especially if she will use the iPhone 6s with her account.

Bob
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17711 posts
764 upvotes
bobmacgolf wrote: I did that a few times when my wife's iPhoneSE was having problems. I don't remember it being a big problem or very difficult to do. She was able to use it no problem. When she got her new phone, it was easy to pair it.

If it is a few months, I would pair it. Especially if she will use the iPhone 6s with her account.

Bob
I think she has decided to just go and buy an iPhone 11 till November and then hand it down to our daughter and buy a 13.