• Jan 8th, 2019 10:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3348 posts
981 upvotes
Mars

setting up apple ID taking forever

just got a brand new 6s from BB, setting up apple new id takes forever, it's been almost 10 mins by now still "it may take a few minutes to create your new apple id...". how to solve or bypass this? thanks for help.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17963 posts
4405 upvotes
Toronto
Can you skip signing into your Apple account during the setup process? I've done this in the past.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8610 upvotes
GTHA
audit13 wrote: Can you skip signing into your Apple account during the setup process? I've done this in the past.
Yes, you can skip signing in at setup.

from https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202033

Sign in with your Apple ID
Enter your Apple ID and password, or tap "Forgot password or don't have an Apple ID?" From there, you can recover your Apple ID or password, create an Apple ID, or set it up later. If you use more than one Apple ID, tap "Use different Apple IDs for iCloud and iTunes?"

When you sign in with your Apple ID, you might be prompted for a verification code from your previous device.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17963 posts
4405 upvotes
Toronto
I have skipped it when I set up iDevices but I was wondering if the OP was not seeing the "skip" option.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4863 posts
2986 upvotes
It's the absolute worst...now imagine having this in a corporate environment...my current and last job had Apple iPhones as corporate phones

Even if you skip, you still need it for App Store.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6906 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
just wait until you forget your password. You'll be waiting for days, weeks or even months
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3348 posts
981 upvotes
Mars
after reboot seemed ok. but then can not update the preloaded apps such as garageband etc but can download apps. chat with the so-called tech support, oh, you have to update your itunes, yeah, but i have just updated to 12.1.2, so the itunes should be the latest. oh, you have to delete the apps and re-download. things happen. great.

well, it's about 20 bucks backup phone. that's how much i'm willing to spend on Apple craps now.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3705 posts
788 upvotes
Kingston
Idk why Apple makes it so difficult to do the most basic things. I am an Android guy, but I have Apple devices too and Android is just so much simpler to setup. No reliance on iTunes and all that. It shouldn't be this hard to setup a device
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34394 posts
7931 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
forgetpwd wrote: i have just updated to 12.1.2, so the itunes should be the latest. oh, you have to delete the apps and re-download. things happen. great.
Don't confuse iTunes with iOS

You don't need iTunes to setup your phone. In fact I would avoid iTunes completely. There is no need to ever use it unless you have a jailbroken device and want to reset it. As I mentioned, there is no need to setup using iTunes.
kcorscadden wrote: Idk why Apple makes it so difficult to do the most basic things. I am an Android guy, but I have Apple devices too and Android is just so much simpler to setup. No reliance on iTunes and all that. It shouldn't be this hard to setup a device
I am an Android user too. But to be fair. It is just as simple to setup an iOS device. In fact some things are more elegantly done on iOS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3348 posts
981 upvotes
Mars
Gee wrote: Don't confuse iTunes with iOS

You don't need iTunes to setup your phone. In fact I would avoid iTunes completely. There is no need to ever use it unless you have a jailbroken device and want to reset it. As I mentioned, there is no need to setup using iTunes.

I am an Android user too. But to be fair. It is just as simple to setup an iOS device. In fact some things are more elegantly done on iOS
i agree, i can't even recall if i used itunes for last couple of years with my 6P, but it was that "tech-support" told me, which i think it's ridiculous, it has nothing to do with itunes, and plus it was him who told me if i updated to latest ios, the itunes would automatically updated too. but still can't update the preloaded apps.

what i'm saying is over the years, last 5 or 6 years, maybe, we can see a clear downward trend in Apple, and the 6s i just got was 32G and preloaded stuff taking out almost 11G already, the garageband alone is 1.7G, talking about Android phone bloatware. for less than 30 bucks, i'm ok to get this iphone as a backup phone in car. i'm not even gonna spend 150 for iphone 7, just not worth it. that's why iphone sales going down.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3348 posts
981 upvotes
Mars
garageband, clips, itunes u, numbers, keynote, app store, pages, imovie, 8 preloaded apps. i have to delete 1 by 1 and re-download 1 by 1.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3705 posts
788 upvotes
Kingston
Gee wrote: I am an Android user too. But to be fair. It is just as simple to setup an iOS device. In fact some things are more elegantly done on iOS
I don't disagree, but the fact that you need iTunes in order to add music and such to your device is just plain stupid. Apple has a fantastic infrastructure, no doubt there, but their reliance on iTunes to do the simplest of tasks is just plain dumb. With Android, its drop and go, with Apple you need to sync to iTunes, iTunes scans your entire library just so you can add a song. So a 10 secs process with Android takes like 5 mins with Apple depending on how big your music library is.

It's an outdated system and that's why I moved away from Apple years ago and went to Android and never looked back