Computers & Electronics

Setting up a small Home server

  • Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2015 5:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga

Setting up a small Home server

I want to setup a server for home use.
Just something simple to sync files from my phones, and be able to download/stream those files from other Windows, Linux and Android clients (LAN and WAN).
I'm a little stuck on where to start though.

I'm thinking of setting up a SSH server, but I'm not sure how to start.

All my backups will be stored on a 3TB Seagate Backup+ Drive, and a Banana Pi will be the server.

OS choices are limited to Android, Lubunutu, OpenSUSE, and Debain


I also have several full fledged computers I could use, but it feels wasteful to dedicate powerful machines for such a low power task.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
11 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
No machine runs 24/7 already?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29357 posts
14856 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: I also have several full fledged computers I could use, but it feels wasteful to dedicate powerful machines for such a low power task.
Choose whatever the lowest power one is and then let it do other tasks too.
Once you have a dedicated server you open up a world of other things you can run on it.
Hell, having several computers means you probably do some level of diagnostics. PXE alone is worth setting up.
Not that PXE takes a bunch of resources either, but that's an example of things you can do with a server that's around 24/7.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1876 posts
432 upvotes
Seriously from what you want to do just get a WD MyCloud drive. It will do what you want and setup is a breeze.

-LeeBear
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
death_hawk wrote: Choose whatever the lowest power one is and then let it do other tasks too.
Once you have a dedicated server you open up a world of other things you can run on it.
Hell, having several computers means you probably do some level of diagnostics. PXE alone is worth setting up.
Not that PXE takes a bunch of resources either, but that's an example of things you can do with a server that's around 24/7.
What other tasks? I've never really tookeb an in depth look at dedicated server operating systems, but I was under the assumption that they couldn't be used to multi task
alkizmo wrote: No machine runs 24/7 already?
Nope. I switched the HTPC with a Dell Latitude and make it sleep when it's done.




I figured out how to SSH (lan) into my BananaPi, and I can read from the internal storage. However, I can't figure out how to read from the NTFS drive. Pmount SDA complains that the drive isn't a proper NTFS drive even though windows has no problem with it
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29357 posts
14856 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: What other tasks? I've never really tookeb an in depth look at dedicated server operating systems, but I was under the assumption that they couldn't be used to multi task
There really isn't an OS today that CAN'T multitask.
As for other tasks, I personally pick hardware that can do virtualization and make separate VMs for each service.
If you have hardware I'd virtualize just because it's awesome. It keeps things clean too so if you crash one service it doesn't affect any others.

Tasks that are popular today: Plex, Usenet/Torrent clients, VPN, pfSense, PBX, PXE.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
You shouldn't VM a firewall (i.e pfsense) it's too risky since you're increasing the # of points of entry. For internal use only NP
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29357 posts
14856 upvotes
george__ wrote: You shouldn't VM a firewall (i.e pfsense) it's too risky since you're increasing the # of points of entry. For internal use only NP
If someone is capable enough to hack my firewall to the point of where they can compromise the guest enough to compromise the host, I have FAR bigger issues at hand.
If they can get into my firewall, the rest of my network isn't that much further away.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3136 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: If someone is capable enough to hack my firewall to the point of where they can compromise the guest enough to compromise the host, I have FAR bigger issues at hand.
If they can get into my firewall, the rest of my network isn't that much further away.
Sorry buddy, but your home network is now officially PCI-uncompliant because of this. The internet police are already on their way to take back your sysadmin license.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29357 posts
14856 upvotes
�� wrote: home network
PCI-uncompliant
Yeah... I'm pretty sure my home network is PCI-uncompliant for other reasons.
An example being that most of my internal passwords are "password"
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Yeah... I'm pretty sure my home network is PCI-uncompliant for other reasons.
An example being that most of my internal passwords are "password"
Security audit fail
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29357 posts
14856 upvotes
george__ wrote: Security audit fail
Meh. If someone really wants to hack in and watch my pr0n, please feel free.

Top