Computers & Electronics

Setting up a WAP (Wireless Access Point) using DD-WRT.

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2013 3:36 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto

Setting up a WAP (Wireless Access Point) using DD-WRT.

I have a question about setting up a DD-WRT Wireless access point.
I have done this before without any problems but now with my new devices I have the following problem.

Here is my setup first (connected using Ethernet cable).

1. DD-WRT Router (Belkin Play Max F7D8301v1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/29/10) mini - build 15030M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko, connected to ADSL modem: Basic setup, Router IP: 192.168.1.1)

2. Powerline (Belkin F5D4077) -> Switch (Trendnet TE100-S50g)

3. DD-WRT Wireless Access Point (TP-Link TL-WR841ND v7.1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/11/13) std - build 20675, Regular using the instructions found in the link above: Turn on DHCP forwarder to point to Router's IP 192.168.1.1, WAP IP: 192.168.1.2). I tried these settings:
a) AP, Mixed, Dynamic (20/40) Channel Width, Auto Channel, OPEN/Disabled Security
b) AP, Mixed, Dynamic (20/40) Channel Width, Auto Channel, WEP Security (64bit)
c) AP, Mixed, Dynamic (20/40) Channel Width, Auto Channel, WPA2 Personal (AES) Security

I can access the Internet and Local LAN using my Windows 7 64bit over Wireless and LAN port @ the WAP. However, my Sony PS3 (Wired and WiFi) and Android (WiFi N) devices can not access or see anything as these NON-Windows devices can NOT get a IP address from the WAP: Stuck at 'Obtaining IP address'. They can connect to the main Router using WiFi no problem.

I don't understand why.

Image below showing setup:
[IMG]http://s8.postimg.org/uimq4fp05/ddwrt2.png[/IMG]
17 replies
Banned
Apr 5, 2006
28 posts
201 upvotes
You're going to have to draw something to make this a bit clearer, but first you should test if the access point is even connecting. Plug the Win7 machine into the access point to see if there is a connection.

Work backwards from there. Plug into the Switch on either side of the powerline and see where the connection fails.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
how are the machines connected to the router?
ethernet? powerline ethernet? wireless?
if wireless you should look over your wireless setup again. make sure your wireless is bridged.
also look over dhcp.

edit: k wait i just read it again.
what ports are you connecting your Ethernet cables into your switches? and what model switches do you have?
how is your access point configured? is your WAN configured as DHCP or STATIC?
there is a lot we need answered before we can paint a better picture here.

you should have each device listed with their wan configurations and lan configurations so we can better understand the physical and software setup of your network.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22218 posts
3050 upvotes
What is the router and switch for? Any word on the DHCP setup?
[OP]
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
The WAP is to extend the wireless and I am dedicating it for 'Media'. The switch has other things attached (2 more Computers).

Updated info above (Post #1)
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
what is the make and model of your AP and what wireless configuration is it set to? A , B, G, N?? also what type of security? my first guess may be your AP may be in wireless N mode only.
some older android devices only work with A,B and G. also the ps3 only works in B and G.

also are your desktop pc clients static ip and static dns assigned? or dhcp? again if you can post each devices setup parameters this would help us help you troubleshoot.
gamerthumbs wrote: The WAP is to extend the wireless and I am dedicating it for 'Media'. The switch has other things attached (2 more Computers).

Updated info above (Post #1)
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4495 posts
981 upvotes
London
Use WPA2 AES as Wireless N requires that. However I'm curious about this "DHCP Forwarding" feature. I've never had to enable this in any access point I've configured in the past...to be honest, you might be better served restoring stock firmware and using it as an access point with stock. Any router even with stock firmware can function as an access point. If it works there, then you can at least rule out hardware issues.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
It is weird that the 'Windows' computers are able to connect while other devices are stuck though. Very odd... Tried all different WiFi settings and even Wired through the PS3 and no go ... .

I'll try stock to see if it clears up.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
The problem: The PowerLine adapters.

The (partial) solution
: Connect WAP to Router using Ethernet.

Hmmm ... weird still.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4495 posts
981 upvotes
London
Interesting, I don't have any issues with my powerline/AP setup.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
These PowerLine Internet Adapter kit are the problem? Hmm.. I have updated the firmware on these and still have this problem. I guess I have to move the WAP elsewhere and change my setup.

Belkin VideoLink PowerLine Internet Adapter Kit - 200Mbps, 2 x Adapters (F5D4077)
[IMG]http://img.canadacomputers.com/ProductI ... /54839.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5099 posts
1724 upvotes
Mississauga
What type of access point are you using? Have you tried clearing the arp cache on the main router?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1871 posts
428 upvotes
From your diagram it looks like your belkin is your main router/access point and you want to use the tplink to extend the wireless range correct? If that's the case the belkin will be doing all the work DHCP/NAT/Firewall/etc so you will have to make sure all those functions are disabled on the tplink. Also what brand and model is the switch and power line adapters you are using?

-LeeBear