• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 6:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 19, 2014
15 posts
Montreal

severance pay

I took a financial manager job offer from a private Ontario company May last year. Since I started, I realized the company also have compliance isuues with accounting record keeping and tax payment. I try not to involved in these matters. The management is probably upset with it. Recently, I was told my employment is termonated and offered with four weeks of pay. The reason of this termination is lack of job performance. I don't think the company has any evidence to show the lack of job performance and 3 week pay is barely above the legal requirement(employment less than a year). 

I had a good job before taking this job offer. I think it takes about a year to find a similar role. I am hoping to negotate a better severance pay from the company. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7068 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
apple27 wrote: I took a financial manager job offer from a private Ontario company May last year. Since I started, I realized the company also have compliance isuues with accounting record keeping and tax payment. I try not to involved in these matters. The management is probably upset with it. Recently, I was told my employment is termonated and offered with four weeks of pay. The reason of this termination is lack of job performance. I don't think the company has any evidence to show the lack of job performance and 3 week pay is barely above the legal requirement(employment less than a year). 

I had a good job before taking this job offer. I think it takes about a year to find a similar role. I am hoping to negotate a better severance pay from the company. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks
How long are you working there? How old are you? Those 2 factors have lot to do with determining if you got a fair severance package?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12071 posts
8361 upvotes
Edmonton
apple27 wrote: I took a financial manager job offer from a private Ontario company May last year. Since I started, I realized the company also have compliance isuues with accounting record keeping and tax payment. I try not to involved in these matters. The management is probably upset with it. Recently, I was told my employment is termonated and offered with four weeks of pay. The reason of this termination is lack of job performance. I don't think the company has any evidence to show the lack of job performance and 3 week pay is barely above the legal requirement(employment less than a year). 

Thanks
You’ve only been there for a year. Getting one month's salary is reasonably generous, so while you can ask, don’t be surprised if they decline. And legally, you wouldn’t be entitled to any more.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1926 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
apple27 wrote: 3 week pay is barely above the legal requirement(employment less than a year). 
What is the legal requirement in your province? As far as I know it is zero because you have been there for less than a year.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2014
15 posts
Montreal
age 37. length of employment 10 month