Shopping Discussion

Severely unsatisfied! How do I get through to Dell?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2012 11:56 am
Oct 15, 2009
7 posts
Earth

Severely unsatisfied! How do I get through to Dell?

This is one of my first posts here but I needed to vent and also help spread the word as it may be the only way to get somewhere. I have been having continued issues with Dell customer service since before the holidays. I've been ordering from Dell for years and while their service has been spotty at best I've never had it this bad.

Problem 1
During the days of deals I ordered an XPS laptop for someone in our office and with no notice Dell decided to cancel the order. I had to log back in a couple days later to check on the delivery status in order to find out. Even though they have my contact details and e-mail they failed to notify me. Then I spent a week chasing them down to finally get a number for a single individual who could release my order. The instructions were I had to contact him in order to get my laptop released. After 3-4 days of unsuccessfully trying this individual (who's voice mail box became full nonetheless), I was forced to order another laptop. Miraculously as Dell now had the money for both order's reserved on my credit card I got an e-mail notification (no call-back) that my original order had been approved. I immediately responded showing screen-shots that there were now 2 orders and I did not require 2 laptops so please cancel a single order. I was assured that this had been taken care of and I would not receive 2 computers. Without fail Dell sent me 2 laptops and charged my card twice a few days later. I immediately called customer service who issued me a return label with the note that they will receive the laptop, verify it's contents and issue a credit to my card in 30 days. So Dell is sitting on my money after their mistake with a closed laptop Purolator picked up mere hours after they dropped it off.

After all this happened, I was told I could get a $100 coupon for my troubles that would be on my account which I just received yesterday. Nice coupon, it expires in just over a month.

Problem 2
I guess the saying goes "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me?" but I proceeded to order a R415 server (retail just over 5k) from Dell and the order couldn't associate with my account as the cart kept failing however I was able to place it anyways. I received a proper order confirmation as well as had my credit card debited. This was almost a week ago. I tried a couple of times to associate the order with my account using their service on-line and it did not work. To my lovely surprise I logged back in yesterday with the link from the order to see it being cancelled. Again, no notification from anyone at Dell. No phone call, no e-mail, nothing.

I've started another e-mail copying everyone I dealt with on the first issue as they kept bouncing me around their CSR's however my question to the RFD community is how do I get their attention and how do I get properly serviced. I'm not looking for freebies and I commend good service when I get it. I don't expect it from Dell but I do expect to get what I pay for and so far I have paid for 2 laptops and a Server and only have 1 laptop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
3 replies
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
you need to get an account rep if your making non home purchases.

Any email i send to my account rep is dealt with that day, and they work extremly hard to make sure we are 100% happy with any purchase.

We do spend alot there, few 100 grand a year at least.

Also they are constantly giving us freebies, meals at resteraunts, golf, i even got offered indy tickets this past year.
Oct 15, 2009
7 posts
Earth
Thanks for the input, we don't do nearly that amount in sales but hopefully the orders go through properly.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
1) Contact ellen roseman to have her media contact coordinate this with you.

2) Blast an email to everyone below (not sure how many are actually still valid, but worth a shot);
Dell Contact Names:
===============

* Michael Dell
Chairman and CEO
michael_dell@dell.com

* Donald Carty
Vice Chairman and CFO
donald_carty@dell.com

* Ronald Garriques
President, Global Consumer Group
ronald_garriques@dell.com

* Michael Cannon
President, Global Operations
michael_cannon@dell.com

* Mark Jarvis
Senior VP and Chief Marketing Officer
(Dude, You're Getting An Email!)
mark_jarvis@dell.com

* Lawrence Tu
Senior VP, General Counsel
lawrence_tu@dell.com

* Susan Sheskey
Senior VP, Chief Information Officer
susan_sheskey@dell.com

* Andrew Esparza
Senior VP Human Resources
andrew_esparza@dell.com

* Paul Bell
Senior VP and President, Americas
paul_bell@dell.com

* Stephen Felice
Senior VP and President, Asia
stephen_felice@dell.com

* David Marmonti
Senior VP, President, Europe, Middle East and Africa
david_marmonti@dell.com

* Brad Anderson
Senior VP, Business Product Group
brad_anderson@dell.com

* Jeffrey Clarke
Senior VP, Business Product Group
jeffrey_clarke@dell.com

* Martin Garvin
Senior VP, Worldwide Procurement
martin_garvin@dell.com

* Alex Gruzen
Senior VP, Dell Product Group
alex_gruzen@dell.com

* Joan Hooper
Vice President, Finance, Chief Accounting Officer
joan_hooper@dell.com

* William Gray
Board of Directors
william_gray@dell.com

Bound to have someone reach out to you. I did this before, and my phone rang off the hook the next day with people strangely wanting to help me out.

Dell is a stupid, stupid company when it comes to needing to deal with them and I have no regrets in blasting them in any manner possible :P

Good luck!
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare