• May 11th, 2020 9:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3365 posts
465 upvotes
Mississauga

Sewer smelling water appears to be leaking from floor drain in basement

Of course I will call a plumber but what typically is going on here? a block in what in the house is being run through the pipe associated to the drain?

Cheers

Jeff
8 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1398 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Had similar issue, was clogged sewer pipe from house that connects to city's main line. Plummer snaked it and fixed issue but camera showed pipe had partially collapsed so needs replacing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
Th floor drain is dry. Dump a few litres of water in it and you should be good.
Jul 1, 2005
528 posts
144 upvotes
As some above said, dump water into the drain. The p-trap in the floor drain was suppose to have water in it to block sewer gas from the drain coming into the house. But often the basement floor drain would dry up cause no one use it. just dump water in to replenish it. Newer house could have a drip line to replenish it from near-by faucet. But many won't have that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3365 posts
465 upvotes
Mississauga
i have to take the lam flooring out then i suppose eh?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9340 posts
3042 upvotes
OP check that your trap primer is not defective. It;s a plastic tube that runs from your utility sink to the drain through the basement floor and is supposed to keep the drain topped up with water to prevent gases entering the basement.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4151 posts
2942 upvotes
I have the same problem if I haven't used my basement washroom in a while (dried drain). I just have to flush the toilet and/or run the faucet and it goes away. Try that first before calling the plumber.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1562 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
I am confused by this post. Is there smelly watery leaking from your floor drain, or is it a sewage smell being emitted from the drain?

If water is coming up, you have a drain blockage and it's backing up.

If it's just a smell, it's likely your floor trap is dry. Depending on the age of your home, you may have a trap primer line run into the trap. This would typicall be tubing or a small diameter pipe and is usually in your laundry room or furnace room.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4126 posts
1504 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
The subject definitely implies water coming up not just gas which definitely isn’t a dry drain.

I went through this last spring and after having it snaked by a plumber it turned out we had tree roots in our sewer lateral. They cleared it out and the tree is long gone and grinded so hopefully it doesn’t recur but likely it will. At which point we’ll have to rip up our front yard and replace the line.

EDIT: Also if you can get by without producing much waste water (don’t use your tubs/shower/dishwasher/washing machine) and don’t flush unless you have to then you can wait until morning to call. Don’t call one in “after hours” if you can avoid it.