PC & Video Games

Shadow PC - 4K Cloud Gaming on Mac/PC/Android/iOS - Bring Your Own Titles!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 5:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5013 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto

Shadow PC - 4K Cloud Gaming on Mac/PC/Android/iOS - Bring Your Own Titles!

I was using Geforce Now beta since 2017 but as the service progressed the quality became worse as more and more titles were being removed. And also there was no official 4K support.

I was looking a way to play RDR2 on Mac back in December and stumbled on Shadow PC.

Shadow PC

They are a bit different than Stadia and Geforce Now.

They let you play any game you own on any launcher since you are being provided a virtual desktop to connect too.

And they support resolutions of 4K.

They have data centres only in the US and Europe. Europe has been provisioned for upgraded tiers of hardware, while the US is still on the older hardware.

The US hardware is capped at 200GB of drive space at the moment, which means only being able to install two of the triple A titles.

Since I am in Toronto, I connect to the New York data center and the stream is flawless at 4K.

I have also used it to run Adobe Premiere and After Effects while mobile.

The NA/US service is on promotion right now at 12.99 USD per month. Keep in mind, you are locked in at that price for the 12 months, however, if you aren’t happy you could e-mail support to move you to the month to month plan and cancel. Or use a Stack Virtual CC.

I had no idea what Geforce Now would launch at, but even with its launch, the lack of gaming titles and lack of official 4K support is meh.

$5 USD is less than $12.99 USD but you aren’t locked to the titles only supported by Nvidia, 6 hour play time sessions (before reloading again) and only 1080p gaming.

There are also promo codes that can be used to knock off a few bucks on the first months sub if anyone is interested.

Shadow will be upgrading the US Data Centers this year where we will likely see the same pricing tiers as Europe.

This will include the upper echelon of 4K Gaming with RTX support and 1TB personal drives.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8212 posts
3288 upvotes
East York mofo!
How well does this run on a Macbook?

Honestly wanna sell off my gaming PC and do this instead. And 200GB ain't bad, don't have time to play too many games... lol with 2 games, you're right! game installs are getting huge

Times are definitely changing when "ManCaveGamer" wants to just become an occasional gamer
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5013 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote: How well does this run on a Macbook?

Honestly wanna sell off my gaming PC and do this instead. And 200GB ain't bad, don't have time to play too many games... lol with 2 games, you're right! game installs are getting huge

Times are definitely changing when "ManCaveGamer" wants to just become an occasional gamer
Runs really well!

I have it on my Macbook Pro outputting to a 4K monitor.

I like this service since it supports 4K resolutions.

Right now I'm just playing RDR2 and Jedi Fallen Order.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2241 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Interested, but with my gaming PC readily available, I'll stick to GForce Now with their free tier. But this looks like a good sub for when you're travelling and still want to get your game in, which you can do, essentially, anywhere with a good enough connection. Whatever else, these guys have the right idea. Let us play the games we already own, and just pay you for the service of streaming them.

Lol Stadia. Dead in the water doesn't even begin to cover it.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3118 posts
210 upvotes
Newmarket
This sounds like a cool service, but how does one even sign up? Looks to be US only or is that just to validate the initial step?
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5013 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto
Shiznacka wrote: This sounds like a cool service, but how does one even sign up? Looks to be US only or is that just to validate the initial step?
They have data centers in the US and Europe.

Europe was original launch location, they are rolling server updates out there. Ultimate Tier will provide SSDs and Titan RTX gaming rigs.

In terms of the US, if you are in Toronto, which I see you are, you can connect to the New York data centers.

If you already have a US billing address for online shopping, use that during check out. And if not, just use the address of their data centers for billing when you sign up.

Head to their site, choose US as the region and proceed with signing up.

PM me if you want a discount on your first month.

I enjoy the service since I can use it install RDR2 and Jedi Knight, one is an Origin Title and the other a Rockstar title, both of which are not on Geforce Now.
Jul 14, 2014
721 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How is Shadow not affected by the same issue Nvidia has with publishers not allowing their games to be played on a streaming service ?

For example, Rockstar EULA specifically states that cloud gaming through an unauthorized cloud gaming streaming service is prohibited. They apparently have an agreement with Stadia but all Rockstar games were pulled from GFN. How is Shadow still allowed to stream those games as well as EA and Square Enix ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5013 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto
Niklasky wrote: How is Shadow not affected by the same issue Nvidia has with publishers not allowing their games to be played on a streaming service ?

For example, Rockstar EULA specifically states that cloud gaming through an unauthorized cloud gaming streaming service is prohibited. They apparently have an agreement with Stadia but all Rockstar games were pulled from GFN. How is Shadow still allowed to stream those games as well as EA and Square Enix ?
They likely have an agreement in place with Shadow.

Shadow has been in play for just as long as GFN.

I think the issues most platforms have with cloud is cheating. Publishers likely think with the closed system of GFN it will be hard to prevent exploits or it requires Nvidia being vigilant with monitoring and updating.

Shadow on the other hand is just w virtual rig. You control what you want to install and not.
Dec 9, 2019
99 posts
185 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
They likely put it on the users as "breaking their EULA" or something like that.